WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Mental Toughness for a thru hike

I just received news today that son will be attending Ranger school starting in November. (Nothing like N Ga. Mountains in December.) As I was reading some information about the school I came across a page talking about developing mental toughness to make it through Ranger School. As I was reading it the words sounded very familiar and much of it also applies to a thru hike, especially break the insurmountable task down to digestible chunks. Here's a link to the page, it might be helpful to those about to take their first thru hike. http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry...r%20School.pdf

apples. oranges. the AT ain't that tough physically

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    apples. oranges. the AT ain't that tough physically
    Since the AT has about a 25% success rate and Ranger school has about 50% I would say that a thru hike, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it, is every bit as mentally tough. I believe most would say that the AT is physically tough but wasn't the point of the thread.

Images

It does take mental perseverance though. When the novelty wears thin, the trail sends many home.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Also not the point of the thread- but best of luck to your son. Best of luck to you biting your nails at home, while I'm sure you're proud, it's gotta be tough. Other than the group dynamics mentioned- this is an excellent comparison. Seemed like most of the advice had the same mental focus required. I agree the average ranger is much more physically fit than the average hiker, but the isolation of a hike is a fair trade imo. 35 pound pack for six miles a week- we got them beat

I get through, AND more happily enjoy, my thru-hikes by chunking it down not into states, days, or between resupplies but into each moment. Before I know it the accumulation of moments turn into hrs, days, wks, months, thru-hikes, yrs, etc. For example, I tried to visualize, intensely emotionally feel, have the kind of thoughts, exhibit the physiology, etc all that I would be experiencing once I was atop Mt K on my AT NOBO thru-hike in each moment before I was actually there. It energized me, got endorphins flowing, kept me in a right frame of mind, assisted me in not getting bored, kept things fresh on a daily basis, etc. It helped me to enjoy the journey AND the destination at the same time on a continuing moment by moment basis. This way I didn't have to wait until I got to Mt K to experience what it would be like once I physically got there. It kept me consistently more focused on a moment to moment basis too. It kept me from getting overwhelmed with the process. It kept me from looking at the grand goal of completing the thru-hike only in terms of me finally being atop that sign on Mt K. It also kept me from rushing through my thru-hike. Long distance hiking with this mentality or philosophy also keeps me from chasing the next adventure just so that I can top the last one. It makes each one of my thru-hikes more meaningful and having a deeper or more lasting quality.

I have the greatest admiration for people who show up to start an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Think of those who wish but never show up.

Showing up is, by far, the biggest step -- it separates the wishers from the do-ers. It separates the thinkers from those who take action and do.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Since the AT has about a 25% success rate and Ranger school has about 50% I would say that a thru hike, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it, is every bit as mentally tough. I believe most would say that the AT is physically tough but wasn't the point of the thread.
    I think the AT wanna be a thru-hiker completion rate is a bit lower than that. IMO, the Ranger programs have a higher level of success rate because they get to pre qualify cadets who apply into the program so they are able to weed some out who are at a higher risk of non completion AND the Ranger program has a more structured support team that AT hikers personally lack. I think it's a bit more of an independent accomplishment to complete an AT thru-hike. I wouldn't disagree with you on the likeness of each being equally mentally tough. Once you attain a certain level of mental toughness(for lack of a better phrase) it gets easier on successive completed thru-hikes. It's a matter of conditioning the mind in a way in which you want it to go and ridding yourself of thoughts and thought processes(as well as other self defeating habits) that don't support the attainment of your goals. This can work in the oppsite direction too conditioning one's thoughts and behvior to adopt a quitter's mentality.
    Premier or champion athletes understand this.

Love the quotes by Muhammed Ali.

“Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.”

“Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.”

Directing and controlling my mind is a big part of controlling and directing my state(of being). That affects my actions and that affects my destiny.

Journal Entries

The two are not even remotely comparable. The AT is mind numbingly the same day in and day out. For the most part everyday a hiker knows what is going to happen and what is expected. For you folks that have not completed the AT AND NOT any specialized and advanced training in the military please do not try to compare the two as similar in anyway. I would venture to say that of the 25% that have completed the AT only about 5% of those may have the mental toughness to complete specific military schools comparable to the Rangers. My specific military training and service required significantly more mental toughness than my AT thru-hike. Most hikers are bunch of weenies that complain and moan about everything and expect handouts at every road crossing south of Virginia. Then they feel enlightened with a sense of achievement which qualifies them with bragging rights that no one outside of WBland cares about. The medals I earned through personal sacrifices in the military far outweigh the pin and certificate the ATC sent me. Please do not make claims that the two are even remotely similar. They are not.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Just Bill;1527078] I agree the average ranger is much more physically fit than the average hiker, but the isolation of a hike is a fair trade imo. 35 pound pack for six miles a week- we got them beat[/QUOTE]

There is way more than what you read. You do not have a clue about what it takes...

A thru-hike of the AT may be more a test of adaptability than necessarily a test of rote toughness. It is tough, yes, but tough people don't necessarily finish a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. What really matters a great deal is the ability to enjoy the challenges an AT thru-hike presents and adapt accordingly.

For example: If you had all the money in the world, you could conceivable complete a thru-hike of the AT. However, most people do not have the luxury of unlimited funds so you'd need to complete an AT thru-hike with certain boundaries.

And there-in, lies the greatest challenges to completing an AT thru-hike.

Heck, you can plot my own thru-hike mileage on a chart and see that pretty much anyone -- yes everyone -- could do that mileage I did on my AT thru-hike. It's not all that difficult for someone to complete what I did on a data comparison viewpoint. When I think back on it, laughingly in some respects.

Now -- do that same challenge in the rain and snow and terrain and pain.

That is what makes an AT thru-hike so much of a challenge.

It's not so much the measurable mileage -- it's the knowing of that mileage and still keep persevering through all the obstacles ahead.

And there-in lies the toughness of enduring and yes, enjoying the challenge along the way.

That's the key part -- enjoying it. Makes the challenge so much more fun.

Datto

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    The two are not even remotely comparable. The AT is mind numbingly the same day in and day out. For the most part everyday a hiker knows what is going to happen and what is expected. For you folks that have not completed the AT AND NOT any specialized and advanced training in the military please do not try to compare the two as similar in anyway. I would venture to say that of the 25% that have completed the AT only about 5% of those may have the mental toughness to complete specific military schools comparable to the Rangers. My specific military training and service required significantly more mental toughness than my AT thru-hike. Most hikers are bunch of weenies that complain and moan about everything and expect handouts at every road crossing south of Virginia. Then they feel enlightened with a sense of achievement which qualifies them with bragging rights that no one outside of WBland cares about. The medals I earned through personal sacrifices in the military far outweigh the pin and certificate the ATC sent me. Please do not make claims that the two are even remotely similar. They are not.
    Calm down a bit. If you read my post I specifically capitalized the words FOR THE PEOPLE THAT ATTEMPT it to specifically NOT to suggest or compare the two activities relative to each other. I doubt anyone would seriously suggest that a walk down a trail is even remotely as intense as the 61 days of Ranger school or any other elite military training. But you are being a bit elitist if you don't see any similarities between the mental component of the both activities and the ways to combat the mental component. The advice that was given on the original link could be reworded for hiking and 90% of it would apply.

Snifur, not arguing with you but let me ask, did you do all/most of your advanced military training before or after your AT thru-hike? If you completed or did some(most?) of the military training before the thru-hike would it be fair to say that training might have made the thru-hike mentally less challenging and possibly jade your opinion of how mentally tough a thru-hike can be?

I forgot the right emoticon again...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I forgot the right emoticon again...
    Thats alright, I saw it when I read it.

Journal Entries

I think a lot of would-be hikers just want to go home when they realize its not easy and "fun", its actually work.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

What I really just dont understand, is why so many have to spend year of planning, and thousands of dollars in gear and transportation cost, to figure that out.

I think there's a lot of impetus for fighting forces, especially elite military groups, to be part of a team of the best of the best to hold themselves to the highest standards and to honor a calling that gives great reward at some level. Can't say this is typically true for most thru-hikers. It's easier to quit and go home for many and then come on sites like this and say they quit because they were hurt, bored, it wasn't fun anymore, etc. Military is a real, raw, big boys(and girls) club in your face and doesn't so easily let one get away with BS lame arse excuses for quitting or failure. Stakes are typically off the chart higher for military compared to most thru-hiking conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    have you been in the military or thru-hiked?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    have you been in the military or thru-hiked?
    What I have or haven't done is completely irrelevant to the point of this thread. But to answer your questions.....Yes and Yes. This is the second time you have asked me whether I have ever thru hiked.
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=20018
    So does this qualify me to quote statistics that were provided from both the Ranger school and the ATC?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++