WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help with shelter choice! SMD/TARPTENT/HAMMOCK?

I've narrowed it down to either a SMD lunar solo or a Tarptent Contrail, or maybe a DIY hammock. Doing a section hike on the gsmnp area of the AT in a few weeks and I'm trying to go lighter then my current set up(4lbs). Let me you what you think!

It's all personal preference but I don't think you can find many (if any) poor reviews on either tents. I own the contrail and love it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When hiking the AT in GSMNP, you don't really have much of a shelter choice... the Park regulations require you sleep in the trail shelters. There are exceptions for registered thru hikers IF the shelter is full. Otherwise, tents are not allowed at shelters, and Park regulations treat hammocks like a tent. So for hiking the AT in GSMNP, there's only three reasons to carry any shelter:
    1. Emergencies
    2. In case a shelter is full
    3. You plan to stay at camp site #113 (the 1st site coming into the Park from Fontana), the one camp site in GSMNP on the AT that isn't a shelter.

What HooKooDooKu said :/ And If you use the shelters dont be suprised if you find little buddies(mice) in your backpack or burried up in your nice down sleeping back cause that love them lol

Location aside, will be used for rest of my AT sections as well. Leaning towards the SMD.

I love my new SMD skyscape Trekker.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

A hammock might carry a slight weight penalty, but the increased comfort is well worth it to many

a hammock is a personal choice, people either seem to love them with religious fervor, or not like them much. I am in the tent camp. I love my new SMD Trekker, it replaced an old TarpTent Virga (basically the same as the Contrail) Both are high quality tents, with outstanding attention to detail, and both companies are a pleasure to deal with. My issue with hammocks is all the components involved; top quilt, bottom quilt, tarp, ropes and carabiners, etc. I like simplicity and ease

Images

hammock. good day.
    "find what you love and let it kill you" -c.b.

Hammock anytime-
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

No experience with the Contrail but I love my Tarptent Notch. And Tarptent is a top-notch (pun intended) company.

++ New Posts ++