WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Anyone use a sleeping pad in a hammock

I believe I'm about to bite the bullet and get a hammock set up, assuming Warbonnet can make it in time. Does anyone use an inflatable sleeping pad in thier hammock? The only way I can use a hammock and not increase my weight is to use my Exped Synmat 7 UL as my bottom layer. This would also allow me to sleep in shelters and on top of balds if needed. I'm looking at a Blackbird 1.1 double hammock and the Z-pack standard hammock cuben tarp and converting the 700 fill down REI bag I have to a top quilt. The bag weighs 35 oz now and I'm assuming I can get it down to 28 ounces modified. With the hammock, tarp, top quilt and pad I'd be at about 4.8 pounds. I'm concerned how the pad would work in a hammock. All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Images

I used a Ridge Rest pad with a 15º sleeping bag this weekend down to 46º at night and I was very comfortable. I hope to go out on a few more colder nights just so I know how cold I can take that, while I save up for an UQ.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I would be exceedingly careful about trying to rely on a standard width sleeping pad as your sole underinsulation. Unless you are one of those fortunate people who doesn't wake up for anything, I think you will find that anywhere your sleeping bag compresses against the bottom/side of the hammock will develop a cold spot that will wake you up. At the very least, you should explore a wider, thin closed cell pad that wraps around your bag. In my opinion, an underquilt is preferable for temperatures below 60 (which is very common at night in the Appalachians any time of year). Of course, that setup will likely exceed your weight threshold. I suggest you go over to www.hammockforums.net to get advice on how to balance the weight vs. comfort vs. flexibility trade-offs. I ended up with a zPacks tarp for spring/fall outings, which slashes my shelter weight even more, but at the cost of a less comfortable bed.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I believe I'm about to bite the bullet and get a hammock set up, assuming Warbonnet can make it in time. Does anyone use an inflatable sleeping pad in thier hammock? The only way I can use a hammock and not increase my weight is to use my Exped Synmat 7 UL as my bottom layer. This would also allow me to sleep in shelters and on top of balds if needed. I'm looking at a Blackbird 1.1 double hammock and the Z-pack standard hammock cuben tarp and converting the 700 fill down REI bag I have to a top quilt. The bag weighs 35 oz now and I'm assuming I can get it down to 28 ounces modified. With the hammock, tarp, top quilt and pad I'd be at about 4.8 pounds. I'm concerned how the pad would work in a hammock. All comments and suggestions are appreciated.
    I've never used a hammock, so please excuse my ignorance, but is their draw convenience? Because a one man tent can be under 2 pounds. My assumption was that hammocks would always be cold on the bottom without some insulation added there. I guess my point is that, weight being equal, is there an advantage to a hammock?

The advantages to a hammock are many, not the least of which is the best night's sleep you'll ever have!!! No sticks, rocks or other pointy things under you. No worry about uneven or sloping ground. The weight may be the same or more than a tent setup but the comfort is worth it in my humble opinion.

Drybones, I've never used a pad (yet) with my hammock and I have the same one you are considering. However, I know that with the double layer, the use of a pad is easy and it supposedly doesn't move around with you because of the double layer. Hopefully someone who uses them will chime in. I agree that you should go on hammockforums.net and ask anything you want to know. They have been so helpful to me in getting me started with a hammock. I can't imagine ever going back to a tent unless I was forced to because of lack of trees.

Images

i have that pad, but never tried it in the hammock. its thickness and rigidness may be a problem. what temps are you looking for. two closed cell pads may be easier (one got me to 40 and two to 20 degrees). i use the exped pad when kayaking. don't need to walk all the way to trees.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads-c127/

I have sorta been eyeing these pads for an alternative to an UQ, and they are a lil wider than standard pads at 24 inches wide and 74 inches long. The 1/4in pad is 8 oz, the 3/8 in pad is 12 oz and the 1/2 in pad is 16 oz.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I used a pad last winter along with my underquilt.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    I've never used a hammock, so please excuse my ignorance, but is their draw convenience? Because a one man tent can be under 2 pounds. My assumption was that hammocks would always be cold on the bottom without some insulation added there. I guess my point is that, weight being equal, is there an advantage to a hammock?
    The only advantage for me would be comfort, my back causes me to toss and turn all night, I'm looking for a good night's sleep. The only other advantage would be not needing a flat spot to camp...but getting rest is what I'm after.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads-c127/

I have sorta been eyeing these pads for an alternative to an UQ, and they are a lil wider than standard pads at 24 inches wide and 74 inches long. The 1/4in pad is 8 oz, the 3/8 in pad is 12 oz and the 1/2 in pad is 16 oz.
    the pad he is thinking of using will take him to zero. those pads will not get you there. also if he wants to go to ground he will need thicker pads,

other post; a pad and a quilt are not a good go to ground combo.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have that pad, but never tried it in the hammock. its thickness and rigidness may be a problem. what temps are you looking for. two closed cell pads may be easier (one got me to 40 and two to 20 degrees). i use the exped pad when kayaking. don't need to walk all the way to trees.
    I can sleep cozy at 15* with my current tent and bag set up, I'd like to maintain that if possible without adding a lot of bulk to my pack...don't know if that's possible, my gut feel is that I'd have to add weight to get down below maybe 30*.

Images

For temps above 40 degrees I use a thermorest pad as down insulation. Use of a spandex binder helps keep the pad from sliding out from underneath. Mine is a no frills system which works for me

I always bring a fleece top and a polyester vest for more warmth if need be.

Ideally an under quilt would be best option for shoulder season and winter hanging.
    As I buy one piece of gear at a time, layering has gotten me through to the mid thirties at night.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I can sleep cozy at 15* with my current tent and bag set up, I'd like to maintain that if possible without adding a lot of bulk to my pack...don't know if that's possible, my gut feel is that I'd have to add weight to get down below maybe 30*.
    if you want the ground and hang options, then yes you will need to add weight, but just hanging you could match weight with an underquilt.

+1 on the sugggestions to go over to hammockforum.net. Also check out Shug's videos on YouTube. He's under Shugmery. Lots of great videos on hammocking in the cold. Guy lives in Minnesotta and most of his videos are done in the snow. If you truly want the go to ground option, you'll need the UL7. Normally, some form of UQ + TQ gets you down to - temps. Of course, that also requires appropriate layers as well. Ove on HF you can also learn how to DIY a poncho liner UQ. Really the deal to keeping warm in a hammock is to block out the wind and cold form below which you don't really have in a tent.

The biggest problem with any pad is keeping on top of it while you sleep. they can move around a bit under you as you sleep.
    "Take only pictures; leave only footprints." -- Anonymous

“The contented person enjoys the scenery of a detour.” - Unknown

I would think that you could partially inflatate the Exped and insert it between the double layer, which would restrain the pad. I have used pads in my Hennessy and the pad would shift around and if I got up in the middle of the night, it took time to reposition. I plan to purchase a double layer Warbonnet for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    IMO, Hammock advantages: great nights sleep, setup / break down in the rain, area to cook under if raining.
    Disadvantages: To me it is a weight penalty. I cannot match my tent (22oz) + Neoair (11oz) with my hammock. To me some weight penalty is worth it. I guess, each would have to decide how much extra weight. If don't have a pad, it makes coming to the ground (shelter) a hard night sleep. I know many use them in cold weather, but I am a cold sleeper, so for me it is on a 1.5 season shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I used a pad last winter along with my underquilt.

I like this answer most... Thermarest not self inflating... uber light down to about 45 degrees and good wind blocker.. any colder and you wish you had taken a underquilt.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58 View Post
    The advantages to a hammock are many, not the least of which is the best night's sleep you'll ever have!!! No sticks, rocks or other pointy things under you. No worry about uneven or sloping ground. The weight may be the same or more than a tent setup but the comfort is worth it in my humble opinion.
    +1 I totally agree with the comfort-
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Pads can work. I use one myself especially in the serious cold of the Adirondack winters. However, I noticed you (et al) have warbonnets. I have noticed that many warbonnet users do not care for using a pad in their hammock. I believe that pads seem to work better in some hammocks vs others, and warbonnet isn't one of them. That said, the warbonnet users LOVE their hammock, just not with a pad. YMMV

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++