WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Published my AT book "Walking Upright" for free - read it here

Hello fellow woodland wanderers. 3 years and 1 month ago at age 21 I hiked North-South the entire state of Virginia on the AT. It was a life changing experience, as it is for many of us. For me it was especially so as I ended up with lyme disease and CFS, which I am still recovering from. But much more importantly it was a journey of deep awakening, as well as lots of fun! I was almost blinded in the Wilderness by exploding water purification chemicals, I encountered drunk hill-billies, bears, snakes, kindly locals and was molested by a gay midget wrestler!

I wrote the entire thing up into a book. After seeking 'traditional' publication for a while and not getting any luck, I've gone ahead and published my entire book for free! It's on Devtome, an open source project. You can read it here:

Walking Upright - The Appalachian Trial in Virginia

Pictures are included too!

I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Section Hiker

Thanks for sharing your book, Matt, and your experiences. I'll take a look!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Quote Originally Posted by matt608 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your comments.
    Thanks for sharing! Just took a glance, but will have to read later. One comment is the font needs to be bigger and the likewise the margins, with perhaps some more paragraph breaks here and there. Text that runs that far across a line is really hard to keep up with, visually. White space is a type-setter's,-- and reader's,-- friend.

I already do like the photos.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I just read the entirety....... a good read........ it looks like your tone about "americans" changed a bit throughout the tale. The trail never lies. Congratulations on your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Just took a glance, but will have to read later. One comment is the font needs to be bigger and the likewise the margins, with perhaps some more paragraph breaks here and there. Text that runs that far across a line is really hard to keep up with, visually. White space is a type-setter's,-- and reader's,-- friend.

I already do like the photos.

RainMan

Thanks, there's not much I can do about making the lines shorter unfortunately, that's just the formatting on the website I can't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    I just read the entirety....... a good read........ it looks like your tone about "americans" changed a bit throughout the tale. The trail never lies. Congratulations on your journey!

Thank you! I hadn't realised that, but yes I think I did feel much more warmly towards Americans the more I experienced them. Would you agree that's how my tone towards them changed?

I just got finished reading your book. Its a great read thanks for sharing it. I wish you a speedy recovery from the CFS and Lymes.

Quote Originally Posted by geomaniac View Post
    I just got finished reading your book. Its a great read thanks for sharing it. I wish you a speedy recovery from the CFS and Lymes.
    Thanks you I'm glad you liked it. I am so far about I'm 70% recovered, it's a very slow illness to recover from, but I can't wait for my next hike!

I can't wait to read it all... thanks!

Thanks, there's not much I can do about making the lines shorter unfortunately, that's just the formatting on the website I can't change.

Thank you! I hadn't realised that, but yes I think I did feel much more warmly towards Americans the more I experienced them. Would you agree that's how my tone towards them changed?

yeah, that's why I asked. Most of us are good natured individuals who are happy to help people we meet....... you can probably say that about any group really though. People are generally decent.....

Always looking for something to read so I'll check it out!
    Thru-Hike NOBO 2014
    Trail Blog

Check out https://www.createspace.com/ if you want to try to publish the book on your own. You can do an eBook or a print book.

Thanks for sharing. I always love to read other's adventures about hiking. I will be taking a look at it as time allows.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for sharing your journal book and especially the pictures. I will share my comments as I get further into it, you have just arrived at Front Royal where I left off. I will be taking a hike from Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro, VA in about two weeks. Regards.
    Thanks,
    Sidewinder2013

Images

Love it! I wrote one about my beginning experiences and learning from my mistakes... I'm going to try the traditional route myself, but given my past successes and the state of the industry in general, I'll probably be doing the self publishing thing.

Stay AWAY from "Publish America". Worst mistake EVER!
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I encountered drunk hill-billies, bears, snakes, kindly locals and was molested by a gay midget wrestler!
    You also encountered a "big fat black" person, who must have left quite an impression on you, as there are three references to the "big fat black one" in one paragraph.

I printed it out and can't wait to read it. Thank you for sharing your story.

For anyone who hasn't read it yet, my book about hiking the Virginia is still available to read for free! Thought I'd bump this for those who missed it. Would be happy to hear what you think of it

Images

glad for the "bump"! I need something new to read and had forgotten about this.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

That was a very good read, thanks for posting! It's always interesting to see what people think of us Americans.

I missed this when it was first posted. Thanks for bumping it, Matt. I've read up to Waynesboro. So far I like it.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++