WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I don't even know if this is a viable idea but what about driving down to Atlanta and renting a storage unit to store your car, then hitching southbound from Katahdin back to Atlanta? In reality there are so many different ways of finding your way. Network, network, network.
    You can leave your car at Amicalola Falls SP for the length of the hike
    Then
    Fly Bangor -BGR - to Atlanta -ATL and pick up your car

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight. You may have reasons unbeknownst to us why you would want to hitch that long distance but IF it's a long term money issue than IMHO that doesn't bode well for hiking the AT! I don't care what anyone says, you need money to hike the AT long term. As I said, I'll hitch places because I like the adventure and change up from walking but it's not usually about a lack of money issue. There are only so many money saving alternatives. I'm not saying this is your situation but leeching your way up the trail is no way to do or attempt a long distance hike! Embarking on something like a long hike without a sufficient way to provide for yourself and having a take take take I me mine mentality just plain SUCKS. Just my 2 cts.
    I wanted to hitch hike to not spend money which, differs from my ideal of saving money, slightly, and see some cities which I haven't seen as an adult yet. I actually don't have a budget concern but, do have a spending concern. I would like to not blow all my money on the trip but, if I do it would not matter that much. I also really enoy traveling and exploring. The last time I drove the I10 was probably over ten years ago now and my friends and I were on the road for 6 weeks and were able to couch surf during the entire time. I wasn't in charge of the logistics but, it was fun to explore each little city and meet new people almost every night.

OK, back on topic. I've decided I'll allocate 7 days to get across to ATL from the AZ/CA border (i'll get a ride to Kingman, AZ) in Mid April and I'll use about 4-5 greyhound trips in between cities on the I 40 to Nashville then the last greyhound down to ATL. If I pre purchase my tickets that will come to about $239 total for Kingman, to Flagstaff, to Albuquerque, to Little Rock, to Memphis, to Nashville to ATL. I'll plan on coach surfing or camping each night in each city within a bus ride from the station via friends, friends of friends or couchsurfing.com. And yes, I'll make sure to dress (somewhat) nicely.

So, now I've narrowed it down. Calling all cities mentioned above!

OP
    Your best choice in Kingman is to get off at exit 48 /US 93 and use the two truck stops just north of I -40 to ask for rides East
    In fact that strategy works , all the way across America
    I spent all of 1972 hitchhiking all over America so I know of what I write

Images

Thank you! I do know that one.

Do you remeber any other stops in the other cities? As long as I know ahead of time where the greyhounds are in comparison to major oasis' I think it will go smooth having open options. Now I just need to decide if cheaper non refundable or more expendive refundable greyhound tickets prior to trip is the right choice. Ill figure that out later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight.
    It's not a few hours on a flight (that cost $372) it's 50 hours on a bus.

He could probably hook up a couple rides through Craiglist, or just hitch, and saving $150 is fairly substantial if you're on a budget.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    It's not a few hours on a flight (that cost $372) it's 50 hours on a bus.

He could probably hook up a couple rides through Craiglist, or just hitch, and saving $150 is fairly substantial if you're on a budget.
    Exactly, and saving a 150 here and a 150 there equals staying in ~20 hostels.

I think a cross country bus trip will end up costing you a lot more then you expect. You have to eat and the meal stops are all at fast food places, which aren't exactly cheap these days.

If you break it up into mulitipule stops along the way you'll have to buy a seperate ticket for each leg. And if your bus comes in at a station at 3 AM, do you really expect someone to drive over and pick you up and take you to thier home? Not likely.

If you buy a ticket straight thru you have to stay on thier schedule. After a 4-5 day bus ride, your going to be a zombie - trust me I've been there - and it will take days to recover, further costing you more.

As much as I hate to fly, in the long run that is your most economical means of getting cross country and it's done in a reasonable amount of time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think a cross country bus trip will end up costing you a lot more then you expect. You have to eat and the meal stops are all at fast food places, which aren't exactly cheap these days.

If you break it up into mulitipule stops along the way you'll have to buy a seperate ticket for each leg. And if your bus comes in at a station at 3 AM, do you really expect someone to drive over and pick you up and take you to thier home? Not likely.

If you buy a ticket straight thru you have to stay on thier schedule. After a 4-5 day bus ride, your going to be a zombie - trust me I've been there - and it will take days to recover, further costing you more.

As much as I hate to fly, in the long run that is your most economical means of getting cross country and it's done in a reasonable amount of time.
    I've ridden the bus from New Orleans back to California and it only takes 2 days not 4-5 straight through. If I broke the journey into legs there is no reason for it to wipe me out.I have to eat something at every meal anyways no matter where I am. It should not be too much more expensive than eating at home or on the AT? If anything, I would spend less money eating for 7 days on the road than I would pend 7 days eating at home because I won't be running/hiking ~70 miles and biking another ~50 miles a week. It will be rest! jk/sort of

And it you arrive at 3 am at a grey hound you rest until sunrise.

$239 for all greyhound legs, 10 max per day on food equals 309 dollars for 7 days = 44 dollars a day
    $150 for straight through for two days, 10 max per day on food = 80 dollars a day
    $350 flight 1 day, 10 max per day on food = 360 dollars a day

I'd only be paying 6 dollars more per day doing chunks on the bus rather than flying (Yes, I know my math is biased but, it's travel I am looking for not transportation!) So, for seeing the country side - hitching and bus is still the most economic way to travel.

You aren't factoring in lost wages in the bus vs. air calculations. Unless you don't have any wages to factor in.
    Orbitz has a flight from LAX to ATL for $259. Flying just got cheaper.
    Your list of cities to glimpse while waiting for the next bus isn't the best I can think of.
    Atlanta isn't exactly the trail head for the AT. Have you figured out the Atlanta to AT trail head transportation?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Unemployed, laid off work at the beginning of last summer. Im staring my trip the moment my claim fries up. Heck, I might even make money on the road trip if I wash some dishes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You aren't factoring in lost wages in the bus vs. air calculations. Unless you don't have any wages to factor in.
    Orbitz has a flight from LAX to ATL for $259. Flying just got cheaper.
    Your list of cities to glimpse while waiting for the next bus isn't the best I can think of.k
    Atlanta isn't exactly the trail head for the AT. Have you figured out the Atlanta to AT trail head transportation?

Wayne
    I'd figure I pay an over priced shuttle service like everyone else. Or hitch hike.

Journal Entries

(as I read more of this thread I have seen that this has been covered already)

This thread is long so I didn't view all the suggestions, but if you are considering a multi day trip to get from AZ to GA are you sure it is cheaper then flying in a single day when you take into account all the miscellaneous expenses that one incurs day to day during travel? In particular food when traveling is usually more expensive then at home, and if you add in stops in taverns for a drink or so your expenses go up quite a bit unless that is what you would do at home anyway. This expense I would think would go up considerably if you intend to see some cities along the way which you have indicated you would like to. When all is said and done the trip by air may not look as expensive anymore.

Images

Thank you everyone for the concerns. All replies are taken warm heartedly. The last little leg of the trip would be Marietta to Dahlonega.

I see the city of Marrietta and their public bus and trail systems is trying to extend service/network onto the Appalachian trail start. That would be a long term goal by them.

Does anyone have knowledge of these unofficial routes?

Enjoy your thru-hike that those of us who have been employed since forever and therefore never had the time for their own thru-hike are paying for.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Bagge Pants View Post
    I wanted to hitch hike to not spend money which, differs from my ideal of saving money, slightly, and see some cities which I haven't seen as an adult yet. I actually don't have a budget concern but, do have a spending concern. I would like to not blow all my money on the trip but, if I do it would not matter that much. I also really enoy traveling and exploring. The last time I drove the I10 was probably over ten years ago now and my friends and I were on the road for 6 weeks and were able to couch surf during the entire time. I wasn't in charge of the logistics but, it was fun to explore each little city and meet new people almost every night.

OK, back on topic. I've decided I'll allocate 7 days to get across to ATL from the AZ/CA border (i'll get a ride to Kingman, AZ) in Mid April and I'll use about 4-5 greyhound trips in between cities on the I 40 to Nashville then the last greyhound down to ATL. If I pre purchase my tickets that will come to about $239 total for Kingman, to Flagstaff, to Albuquerque, to Little Rock, to Memphis, to Nashville to ATL. I'll plan on coach surfing or camping each night in each city within a bus ride from the station via friends, friends of friends or couchsurfing.com. And yes, I'll make sure to dress (somewhat) nicely....!
    Exactly, and saving a 150 here and a 150 there equals staying in ~20 hostels.
    Unemployed, laid off work at the beginning of last summer. Im staring my trip the moment my claim fries up. Heck, I might even make money on the road trip if I wash some dishes.
    I'd figure I pay an over priced shuttle service like everyone else. Or hitch hike.
    Sounds like you very much do have budget concerns no matter what you say in one post because it seems you contradict that thought in other posts.

If not spending money somehow is that different than saving money can you please explain? I see the two as the same. I ask because I'm trying to get on the same page as you so possibly can offer some money saving traveling across the country tips.

Purchasing 5-6 different Greyhound tickets will almost DEFINITELY be more costly than taking an inexpensive flight to Atlanta and negates Alligator's monety saving(not spending money?) $150 getting across the country proposal given. There are certainly less expensive and less time consuming less logistically problematic ways to get from Cali to the southern terminus area of the AT. If you're that concerned about money, as it is obvious you are, no matter what you may say in one post to the contrary, PERHAPS some choices need to be made on what exactly you want to do. I understand you want to visit those cities you mention but I will ask what the primary goal is here - to get to the Southern terminus of the AT and putting yourself in the BEST possible financial situation to actually successfully complete an AT thru-hike or visit all those cities along the way to thye southern terminus by way of all the Greyhound tickets? If money is that much a concern maybe you need to decide what's most important! - the AT or all these visiting of cities right now. OR PERHAPS, it's simply your goal to wander the AT and see how it goes while taking a financial shooting at a dart board w/ a blindfold on financial approach to hiking the AT?

BTW, I do get where you're coming from with your sense of adventure and packing in as many other expriences as you travel to a trail to do a thru-hike.
    I REGULARLY do it myself. But, sometimes making concrete choices and having priorities can sometimes be necessary especially as it takes money to do a thru-hike. I've nevery heard anyone say they didn't finish an intended thru-hike because they had too much of a hiking budget but I see hikers quitting their thru-hikes because not enough of a hiking budget was allocated. Just trying to help.

Images

Dear Dogwood, It goes a little something like this... Once I am set to leave for the AT I will have had sold pretty much everything I own except what will be on my back and then I'll have maybe a 5x10 storage for family heirlooms that I can sale when I return back home if I spend all my money on the journey. I will have anywhere from 5-7 thou in the bank account. I am trying to do something challenging by saving money with alternative means of transportation. It's funny how everyone is like, "hike your own hike" but, somehow can't come with terms that that should apply to everything in life not, just a means to an end.

Spending money and having a budget to spend are different - I have 6 slices of pie in my budget. If I only eat 5 slices then maybe I'll donate one slice to my friend or favorite charity.

OP
    My feeling is that you're being penny wise and pound foolish
    You're gong to leave SoCal with a lot of very expensive gear with you ; most of which will be mission critical
    Should that gear get lost , stolen or damaged by taking the long and slow scenic route to Amicalola Falls SP
    That gear will have to be replaced and at the end the day your need to save money wound up costing you money

Images

I made a public facebook page if anybody wants to converse or network through there. Thank You for the tips again. See you in the woods!

https://www.facebook.com/baggepantswalking , and insert "Raining Smiley Face" here.

Another Geezer idea/question:
    Why don't you pick a morning when you're ready to start your 6 month adventure & hitchhike to the PCT? How long would that take? 6 hours maybe? Tops? Go north. Have fun.
    Or is the PCT old news since you live out there?

Wayne

Dear Dogwood, It goes a little something like this... Once I am set to leave for the AT I will have had sold pretty much everything I own except what will be on my back and then I'll have maybe a 5x10 storage for family heirlooms that I can sale when I return back home if I spend all my money on the journey. I will have anywhere from 5-7 thou in the bank account. I am trying to do something challenging by saving money with alternative means of transportation. It's funny how everyone is like, "hike your own hike" but, somehow can't come with terms that that should apply to everything in life not, just a means to an end.

Spending money and having a budget to spend are different - I have 6 slices of pie in my budget. If I only eat 5 slices then maybe I'll donate one slice to my friend or favorite charity.
    Dogwood is just attempting to figure out your trip preconditions in order to better address your question. He has undertaken a variety of journeys himself and is pretty dialed in to maintaining himself financially in order to fund his lifestyle, as well as how to make those journeys happen.

I posted the inexpensive Greyhound trip because I too was trying to elicit more details about what you wanted your trip to be, such as whether the hitching aspect was more important than the budget, as well as where your budget was at. Your plan to hitch hike will be a drain on your available funding to hike the AT. You are increasing costs by creating additional travel days. As far as money, hitchhiking days are certainly directly equivalent to hiking days for costs. Plus, your suggested travel plans, with multiple bus stops, are drains on the portion of the budget allocated to travel expenses. If you go the multiple bus stop route, it might be unwise to lock into an advanced fair ticket. Depending on how you plan it, one failure to be on time may cascade and ruin the remaining ticket times. I would be careful about how you arrange those tickets.

It is your journey and what you want to do, no issue with that. We do get lots of budget questions on here and lack of money is a major trip ender, so often responders ask pointed questions in order to better address the questions asked.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++