WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Something I've been wondering about for a while now

Are there no fire ants on the trail? In my very limited experience I didn't see any but that's certainly not to be considered proof. The thing is, I've read dozens and dozens of trail journals, hundreds of threads on here and at least 7-8 books about the trail by thru hikers and I don't think I've seen where anyone mentioned fire ants. Before my trip last year I camped in the back yard to try out my tent and I had to be careful to avoid ant beds. But no one says anything about them on the trail. So, is it possible there are no fire ants on the AT?

nope. ain't no fire ants on the AT

I don't recall ground bugs being a consideration on the AT. There were some ground bees up north but not anywhere I was considering tenting.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I don't recall ground bugs being a consideration on the AT. There were some ground bees up north but not anywhere I was considering tenting.
    Ok... soooo I like having a "fresh from the trail" poster on WB... :>)

Journal Entries
    Images

not yet just a matter of time... all those conservationists are embarrassed at the moment,,, won't let the professionals do the right thing... step on them.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix:1529450
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Ok... soooo I like having a "fresh from the trail" poster on WB... :>)
    especially after they have showered

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    not yet just a matter of time... all those conservationists are embarrassed at the moment,,, won't let the professionals do the right thing... step on them.
    What do you mean by "matter of time"? I dont know much about them. Are they invasive?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    especially after they have showered
    Ha ha!! And maybe in his case clean shaven would be good too.. That white beard is killin me. ;P

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Are we asking bout the AT? B/c I know they're on the PCT. I accidentally sat down on a fire ant hill!! Never took off my pack faster that the moments after that so someone could brush them off my back!! LMAO!!

It is my understanding from what I've read (newspapers, magazines, etc.) that the fire ants have "migrated" northward from warmer climates (Mexico? I think) and they really can't survive cold weather (yet - I suspect they will adapt). I know that at least 20 years ago I first saw them in south Alabama, and only in the last few years began seeing them here in north Ga. I am seeing them more frequently. . . And every time I do see them starting a "home" I put fire ant killer around their mound. I have so far kept them out of my yard, but do find some yearly.

so, in answer to the question - yes, they are invasive, yes they are aggressive, no, they are not in the mountains (yet), because they cannot take cold winters. Frozen ground kills the mound.

Thanks guys. I suspected the cold had something to do with it. I too have read about them migrating northward. Here in SC you have to fight a constant war against them. They are a very resilient species. I read an article about them once that said that if they're washed away in a flood they form a big ball that floats and rotates continuously so they all get to come up for air. I suspect they'll adapt to the cold and eventually they'll become a nuisance on the trail too.

They are present here in Cherokee County, NC down in the lower elevations (valleys). I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start making an appearance, especially in Georgia at the lower elevations.

Journal Entries

I'm not sure what a fireant is, though I have a idea, but did run into some sort of biting ants at 2 places. One was at the Dancing Bones Community in NH which is about a mile off the AT and lets hikers stay, I went to pick blueberries and found them. The other time I don't exactly remember, but it is a section where a newly eroded 'washout' was and while trying to climb out of it I did find a little nest of them.

Default Looks like they're on the move still

This article says they're moving north and west at a rate of about 120 miles a year. And, unfortunately, they are more resistant to cold than was previously thought.
    http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/96/62151.pdf

The word Fire Ant is just a common name, which actually is applied to many species and they are not simply migrating from Mexico. Most come from South America and are exported around the world including here. There is also a European species that has been introduced here http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creat...rmica_ruba.htm

Insects are very difficult to idenify, so just because you see a red ant and it bites you doesn't mean it came from South America.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    They are present here in Cherokee County, NC down in the lower elevations (valleys). I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start making an appearance, especially in Georgia at the lower elevations.
    We had them all over north of ATL. With the AT at higher and colder elevation, I think they would struggle to survive. I had a few problems with various types of ants on the PCT. much bigger issue than mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, bears, mice or people at night.

Ouch! What was that? Something stung me.

Images

Fire ants are evil, I'm so glad to be out of Florida. I work outside and they are unavoidable. They are serious nest predators in the south too, eating chicks alive any opportunity they get. I've tried to rescue nighthawk chicks covered in them, but they rarely make it. The swamp fire ants (my name) are the freakiest! They float in balls in the water.

http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id180.htm
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Interesting PF. I didn't know that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marshbirder View Post
    Fire ants are evil, I'm so glad to be out of Florida. I work outside and they are unavoidable. They are serious nest predators in the south too, eating chicks alive any opportunity they get. I've tried to rescue nighthawk chicks covered in them, but they rarely make it. The swamp fire ants (my name) are the freakiest! They float in balls in the water.

http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id180.htm

Actually chiggers are evil; I'll take a fire ant over a chigger any day.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++