WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Difficulty with Jetboil Sol

I recently purchased a Jetboil Sol so as to be able to backpack in fire ban areas where my Zip could not be used. I tried the stove at home and immediately had trouble with it when hooked up to a coleman canister. I tried it on a partially used Brunton, still no luck, then a partially used MSR canister. The stove now worked and now seemed to also work on the Brunton and Coleman. I took a backpacking trip last week and at the last minute decided to use the Jetboil, I took the Coleman canister which was almost full. Oh what a pain it was!!! I would screw on the canister, hear the puff of gas as it screwed on then when I turned on the stove a puff of gas and it stopped. after much fiddling I found the only way I could get the stove to deliver gas to the burner was to screw it just a shade past the point where the gas escaped from the canister, nowhere near fully screwed on. The gas would then deliver erratically when I placed the pot on the stove, sometimes I could get it to burn full sometimes only at a simmer, the slightest touch to the pot and the burn rate would change significantly. There was never more than a puff of gas delivery if I screwed the stove fully onto the canister. I know I should use Jetboil canisters and as soon as I can find one I will try it. I thought it should work on all canisters as my Pocket Rocket did. Do I likely have a defective Sol or does it need Jetboil canisters exclusively? Its from REI so I am sure its no problem getting it replaced except REI is nearly 400 miles from home. Anyone have a similar problem.

Journal Entries

I used the Sol Ti for a good part of my thru with every type (brand) of canister with no issue. The burner for the Sol is the same. You got a defective one.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

An MSR or Snowpeak canister should work just as well as the JetBoil canister; they all use the same type of threaded connection. I suspect the Coleman should as well, but I don't have the experience to back that up.

If you purchased Jetboil via the mail-order, you shouldn't have any problems getting REI to replace a defective product at no cost to you. I recently had an REI purchased item go bad the last day of a camping trip. When I returned home, I contacted REI about the defect and they replaced it with no problems. When I told them I has heading out on my next trip in just a few days, they even paid for 2nd day delivery to ensure I got my replacement in time.

Don't know if things work any differently if you purchased the item in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I used the Sol Ti for a good part of my thru with every type (brand) of canister with no issue. The burner for the Sol is the same. You got a defective one.
    I have a tendency to agree that you may have a defective model. I have one and have used MSR and Coleman fuels with no problem. Cannot verify with any other brands though. Have to share a story here about customer service. I bought an aftermarket fry pan and sleepily put it on the burner assembly without the pot support and melted the plastic on the assembly. I contacted Jetboil inquiring about the purchase of a new burner assembly only and explained what happened, that it was not a manufacturing defect that it was operator error. I just want to purchase a new burner. Well, they told me to send the burner back and they'd see what they could do. Short time later here comes brand new burner assembly no charge and a thank you note for choosing Jetboil. If you can't get your original supplier to refund or exchange just shoot Jetboil an email and I'm sure they will work with you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

My Sol worked fine with the MSR brand canisters. I find that the only place I can purchase Jetboil branded canisters is at REI.

Jetboil customer service was good when I had an issue with the plastic cup cracking (they sent a new one immediately). You probably just need a new burner unit.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thanks for the replies, I will ask REI to replace it, I am sure they will do so willingly, their return policy is always super. I am considering using the jetboil rather than Zip or alcohol on my 2014 PCT attempt, once I get one that works!!

This has come up before but can't remember the burner in question.
    So same situation the burner would work with a brand but not another.
    It has to do with the length of the pin on the burner and the exact Lindal valve used by the canister.
    They are made to a standard but apparently you can get a mismatch.

++ New Posts ++