WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Noob Introduction

Hey everyone. I thought that it would only be proper that I use my first post to introduce myself.

I am new to the site, but not new to backpacking. My last career involved carrying my crap through the wilderness over long distances, so I kind of learned to enjoy it after 10 years. Nowadays, my job keeps me glued to a computer monitor, so I try to come up with any excuse to go out and get dirty. I usually spend my free time hiking, travelling, and snowboarding.

Since the NJ portion of the AT is in my area, I tend to spend some of my free time there, but I hope to begin branching out and hiking the sections in PA and NY.

Section Hiker

Welcome! I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot here in my short time since I started backpacking. This year. It's GREAT! I'm chained to a computer at work. Blech.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Good to hear. I have been a long time lurker here and have found a lot of posts very helpful. I always wanted to thru hike, but it was never in the cards, so I just stick to section hiking and find different ways to challenge myself with the free time I have.

Love your nickname. Welcome to WB.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Love your nickname. Welcome to WB.
    Yes, indeed... welcome, welcome!!

Welcome! What was your prior career? Inquiring minds want to know
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Welcome! What was your prior career? Inquiring minds want to know
    I spent 10 years in the infantry; primarily with the 10th Mountain Division. Now I work in an accounting department of a large company. Funny how life works.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut Von Fluffbutt View Post
    I spent 10 years in the infantry; primarily with the 10th Mountain Division. Now I work in an accounting department of a large company. Funny how life works.
    Someone has to crunch the numbers..LOL
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries

Welcome, UVFluff! Glad you've joined us.
    Alright, now that you've introduced yourself, where are all the dumb questions? We want dumb questions! Somebody asked me the other day, "so you have to sleep outSIDE???"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Alright, now that you've introduced yourself, where are all the dumb questions? We want dumb questions! Somebody asked me the other day, "so you have to sleep outSIDE???"
    My favorite question is, "What do you do when you get dirty?" So many responses went through my head... But, I ended up just saying, "Grin even bigger!"

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Sure. Here is a dumb question: Who the hell came up with the idea of dumping minefields of sharp rocks onto the trail? After a few days, it gets a little old.

Images

It is what it is

Sure. Here is a dumb question: Who the hell came up with the idea of dumping minefields of sharp rocks onto the trail? After a few days, it gets a little old.
    I like the question...how do you take a shower? Ahhh.... you don't??? When I get to a town, I don't walk, I RUN to the shower. I just like to feel human again.

Baby wipes are all the shower you need.

Baby wipes are all the shower you need.
    I'm a girl!! I do love those wipes! Nathan's brand are the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    I'm a girl!! I do love those wipes! Nathan's brand are the BEST!
    I do enjoy a refreshing baby wipe on a cold winter day. Wakes the boys up right away.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

I did a Pa section a while ago and was telling a local buddy here in Fl about all the rocks.. he asked me, "so do people go out there and move them around to keep the trail conditions constantly different?". I just said yes.
    We are all one big human family.

I heard this year they are releasing packs of wolves to keep hikers on their toes.

Journal Entries

The minefields are dumped there in the night by wild animals, who hope to slow down the hikers. The animals watch unseen from nearby hiding places, and when the moment is right, they pounce!

I heard this year they are releasing packs of wolves to keep hikers on their toes.
    Well hey UVF... you seem like a fun guy! Hope you stick around.

There's been a lot of members join lately.(well, most all members, I know, are ) Hope you stick around. If you or any of the other newbies want to "just chat" there's groups you can join. Hikerboy57 has a group and so does Wise Old Owl... both groups are .

I read where someone wanted to ban the dancing banana. lol. What about the "cool" emoticon??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++