WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Duct Tape

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I just buy mine from REI, they are pre-rollled and ready to go.
    I can't fault anyone who wants to spend a few dollars for the convenience of a prefabricated tiny roll...
    I can't fault anyone who wants to save a few dollars and just wrap their own.

The only thing I can find fault is anyone who spends the money on the prepackaged camping rolls of toilet paper. It's not that difficult to cut the cardboard center out of a standard toilet roll and stuff it in a ziplock.

I have a 6" or so long piece of 1/8" blue foam pad that I roll it onto. It's made that length to fit in my mesh odds and ends bag. I just rolled some today in preparation for the next hike. I used gorilla tape this time, much more heavy duty, thought I may wear some already well worn trail runners that have the toe piece coming off, may have to tape it if the sole start going.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.
    I am not an UL gram weenie or a jerk (or at least I hope not), but that does make sense to me.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I am not an UL gram weenie or a jerk (or at least I hope not), but that does make sense to me.
    One might argue that this helps strengthen the arms for when you get to the Whites. Just like doing 16oz curls of beer instead of 12.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 09-25-2013 at 21:39.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I have fluorescent orange wrapped around the top of both trekking poles.
    Wow. I have the fluorescent orange wrapped on the bottom of my trek poles. Someday we will cross paths.

Images

Just threw the roll as purchased in the back pocket of my ULA pack.
    Can't say that the extra weight significantly affected my hike.
    I used it for lots of things. Taped the two spots on both feet where I am prone to blister.
    Used it to tape shut bounce boxes so went through a bit of it.
    Even gave some to others when needed. (Although I tend not to give anything to the "silly lighters" who carry next to nothing, only those who have legitimate reasons for not having their own.)

Journal Entries

I buy the pre-rolled d-tape and keep it with my medic kit. but i will be honest here, i have never used not even an inch of it to repair or bandage anything in 18 years of avid hiking. i have given it away on plenty of occasions. every 3 months or so i move it from my hiker bin to the tool box where it will be used and then i buy a new roll.

Everybody has great ideas! You might say I'm a duct tape junky. Have a blister? Slap some duct tape on it! A seam on your clothes causing chaffing? A little duct tape will help! Bag of granola has a hole in it? Duct tape to the rescue!

I am hoping to find a good pair of shoes/boots that don't give me blisters, or not as many so my need for duct tape will be less.

Mine is wrapped around a 35 mm film canister that contains my sewing kit.

The film can contains a few sewing needles and pins (and a needle threader), some small safety pins, a button or two. Some dental floss without the packaging (the round spool fits perfect in the bottom) and a small spool of polyester thread.

If I can remember to restock, it also usually contains a spare flashlight bulb.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    Everybody has great ideas! You might say I'm a duct tape junky. Have a blister? Slap some duct tape on it! A seam on your clothes causing chaffing? A little duct tape will help! Bag of granola has a hole in it? Duct tape to the rescue!

I am hoping to find a good pair of shoes/boots that don't give me blisters, or not as many so my need for duct tape will be less.
    It's like someone here said before.....if you can't fix it with duct tape or a beer it's not worth fixin.

A young lady at Fontana had some duct tape with scull and crossbones on it, she used it to stop the bleeding of a friend who cut his hand badly with a hatchet...I've got to get me some of that.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Mine is wrapped around a 35 mm film canister that contains my sewing kit.
    I've got to wonder... how many younger hikers are reading this and asking "what's a film canister"?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've got to wonder... how many younger hikers are reading this and asking "what's a film canister"?
    The same ones that think those 33rpm LP's are big CD's.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I use a short piece of plastic soda straw with about 2 feet of duct tape wrapped around it. I keep it in a zip-lock with other miscellaneous items.

If I'm not carrying one of the small rolls, then I just wrap it around itself like someone else said. There are so many little self-wrapped rolls of DT in this house. I just randomly find them all the time.

I'm not sure if I'm still considered young since I have *gasp* crossed the bridge in to the 30's but I still have and use film canisters for lots of things.
    Cash Crate - it's not hiking but it helps make pocket change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok11 View Post

I'm not sure if I'm still considered young since I have *gasp* crossed the bridge in to the 30's but I still have and use film canisters for lots of things.
    But, do you have any of those big CD's?

Images

i use digital film canisters to save weight

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i use digital film canisters to save weight
    awesome......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    The same ones that think those 33rpm LP's are big CD's.
    They probably would be shocked to know you can play both sides.
    Last edited by Astro; 09-26-2013 at 11:50.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I just take about an 4 inch stick and I wrap a 5ft piece of Gorilla Tape around the stick and put the tape in a small zip-lock bag then put with my First aid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++