Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Duct Tape

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-12-2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    50

    Default Duct Tape

    What's the best way to roll your own duct tape? The small 50-inch pre-rolled ones are a bit pricey, so I thought I would roll my own. I also know how I am with anything sticky and I picture myself having to touch the duct tape so much all the sticky will be gone or I'll have a crazy, balled up mass of unusable duct tape.

  2. #2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,248
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    I use to roll a bit of duck tape around my hiking stick. But after years of sitting there unused, it became a sticky mess. However, the mess was easily cleaned with WD-40.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2012
    Location
    glen burnie, maryland
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Wal-mart had the small rolls on their clearance shelf yesterday, $1. As long as you opt for hot pink or zbra striped. Chose the pink

  4. #4
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    I had various types of tape rolled on my trekking poles. I found that that worked well on my thru. Over time the duct tape will get gummy but it didn't for the duration of my thru. I had regular duct tape (for hot spots on my feet), two different waterproof white tapes (for wrapping toes), and Gorilla tape (for repair/patching of cuben fiber pack (used a LOT after Mahoosuc Notch).
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  5. #5
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,864
    Images
    78

    Default

    I just wrap a few feet of duct tape around he top section of my trekking poles.
    That way I ever have to dig through my pack to look for it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  6. #6
    AT 2012
    Join Date
    09-11-2006
    Location
    Wallingford, CT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.
    Lazarus

  7. #7
    Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2003
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.
    Maybe that's why I had Popeye arms at the end of my hike!

  8. #8

    Default

    I have thought about this for a long time (keeping the tape on your hiking pole) and why it needs to be so accessible, no one seems to be able to answer that question to my satisfaction, and the only reason I can see for having it so accessible is if you maybe got your face ripped off by a bear, and wanted to tape it back on....

    or maybe a Hiker says "Hey, who's got some duck tape" and your the first one to rip off a piece before they even finish their sentence, and say "right here dude"

    and still my multi directional bonding strip remains on my pole...ready for whatever may come...I guess.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    What's the best way to roll your own duct tape? The small 50-inch pre-rolled ones are a bit pricey, so I thought I would roll my own. I also know how I am with anything sticky and I picture myself having to touch the duct tape so much all the sticky will be gone or I'll have a crazy, balled up mass of unusable duct tape.
    Some rap it around a pencil or pen...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Mine is just folded over to itself, about 2" long, then continue wrapping it around to itself.
    Makes a nice little pad about 2" long and 1/4" thick.

    It doesnt need to be wrapped around anything. You do it right off the roll, and you never have to touch it or mess up the stickiness.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-13-2012
    Location
    Mid Atlantic
    Posts
    1,034
    Images
    9

    Default

    I wrap about 2 ft or so around a drinking straw and then cut off the straw. The little roll then goes in my "repair kit" with crazy glue, needle and thread, and spare headlight/camera batteries.

  12. #12
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,248
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I have thought about this for a long time (keeping the tape on your hiking pole) and why it needs to be so accessible...
    As I see it, wrapping some duct tape on your hiking pole isn't a matter of keeping it accessible, it's simply a matter of convenience.

    It is very easy to wrap the tape from your roll directly on to something that is round. It is easier to start wrapping it on something that larger (1/2"+) rather than something small (pencil). You don't have to remember to pack it with the rest of your gear. You're making more efficient use of the limited space in your backpack (after all, how many pieces of gear are designed such that they can be stored in/on this extra space provided by your hiking pole).

  13. #13
    double d's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-10-2007
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Lots of good advice to answer the O.P.'s question, but I just buy mine from REI, they are pre-rollled and ready to go.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2008
    Location
    Eastern, Tn
    Posts
    885
    Images
    11

    Default

    I have fluorescent orange wrapped around the top of both trekking poles.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    As I see it, wrapping some duct tape on your hiking pole isn't a matter of keeping it accessible, it's simply a matter of convenience.

    It is very easy to wrap the tape from your roll directly on to something that is round. It is easier to start wrapping it on something that larger (1/2"+) rather than something small (pencil). You don't have to remember to pack it with the rest of your gear. You're making more efficient use of the limited space in your backpack (after all, how many pieces of gear are designed such that they can be stored in/on this extra space provided by your hiking pole).
    Point taken...and people, don't forget to tab your tape......or not, I'm a taber.

  16. #16

    Default

    I started my thru with 2 different colors of D-tape on my poles to allow me to quickly tell the left from the right...
    After I used most of it, I left a bit of both to continue to show me which was which at a glance, but then switched to Leukotape wrapped around a chap stick..

    LEUKO!! What Whaaat!!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    every now and then i get the feeling we tend to overthink things.
    ive had the same foot and a half of duct tape around my poles for 2 years.ive only used a few inches of it in over 1000 miles.
    it doesnt tell me which pole is which, the little l and r labels help me out there.

  18. #18
    Registered User FarmerChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-03-2012
    Location
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Posts
    1,800
    Images
    4

    Default

    wow. I was sure someone would have already mentioned this but...I wrap a bit around my spare water bottle. It's saved the day a couple of times for shoe soles that decided to separate. I didn't need instant access but it was convenient to not have to empty my pack to fix the shoes. When we hit a hardware store in Duncannon. We just bought a roll, wrapped what we needed back around the water bottle. Then gave the rest to the clerk.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

  19. #19
    Registered User Old Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    2,588
    Images
    5

    Default

    Wally used to sell a small roll that was actually attached to a 'biner. Saw them in the hardware section. Not a large, heavy roll, but the 'biner made it convenient to hang off my pack.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

  20. #20
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve0423 View Post
    I started my thru with 2 different colors of D-tape on my poles to allow me to quickly tell the left from the right...
    LOL I thought I was the only one to do that.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •