I don't know as my expenses were not separated out of trail and house, but it was higher then the $2/mi estimate, I figure perhaps twice that. As I traveled north my expenses went down as I understood more how the thru hike works and what is available for us. My large expense on the trail was my diet and my diet plan.

My food bill was much higher then any other hiker, usually 2x theirs if not more, and I usually took shorter resupplies as well (so more food bills). My plan was to eat protein and fat on the trail, so mostly meats with some cheese, very little carbs. This was to give my body what it needed to repair itself. Calories were from the trail towns, as much as I wanted and whatever I wanted. My body can store calories, but not so good at storing repair material.

My diet plan did work great as I maintained my weight throughout my thru and gained muscle, lost some fat. I didn't experience the wasting that I saw other hikers go through. It was a expensive luxury, but I also ate like a king, actually I ate better then King