WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Cook pot and stove

If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water). I have been using the Pocket Rocket and GSI Minimalist pot. There is nothing wrong with this system and both components are bomb proof. Just looking for a change.
    RIAP

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor66:1530760
    If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water). I have been using the Pocket Rocket and GSI Minimalist pot. There is nothing wrong with this system and both components are bomb proof. Just looking for a change.
    if it ain't broke don't fix it. I use the same setup

Journal Entries

For the occasional weekend trip I would go Esbit with, if I had to buy one now, the Evernew Ti 0.9l pot, but use it with my MSR kettle. For 2 people sharing hot water Jetboil sol Ti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor66 View Post
    You're correct that there's nothing wrong with your cook set up. But if you're looking for a change and just boiling water over a weekend then I'd suggest an Imusa 12cm pot and an alcohol stove made from an aluminum bottle or esbit.

Im a fan of the Imusa mug. Light weight, sturdy and pretty cheap. And along with that alcohol or esbit stove you've got a pretty lightweight and cheap option
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps the absolute best solution "just for boiling water" would be the JetBoil:
    1. Stability (pot and stove link together)
    2. Fuel Efficiency (heat exchanger that doubles as something of a wind screen).

But my alternate solution (because it's lighter) is an MSR Titan Kettle paired with the Snow Peak Litemax.
    The titan kettle is the perfect size to hold a 4oz MSR canister.
    The Litemax folds down so small that you can place it under the canister inside the kettle.
    Total weight: 6 oz + fuel (4oz for the kettle, 2oz for the stove).

About the only thing lighter would be using an alcohol stove.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Perhaps the absolute best solution "just for boiling water" would be the JetBoil:
    1. Stability (pot and stove link together)
    2. Fuel Efficiency (heat exchanger that doubles as something of a wind screen).
    The stability of the Jetboil is great, efficiency for a thru hike or long distance hike is great as less need to resupply and less worry about running out - they last a long time, but on a weekend trip efficiency doesn't really matter. What I have benefited from however for a weekend is the rapid boil time making it ideal for larger quantities of water at once, especialy if 2 people are sharing the stove. Even if it is needed to boil 2x it seems to be faster then the alternatives, meaning both people eat sooner. Or as have heard it on the trail, the Jetboil eats first.

Why change? But if you want to try Esbit and/or alcohol, you just need a DIY, cottage, or commercial burner and good windscreen. Too many options to list. Personally I like a 700-1000 ml pot for solo, 1000-1400 ml for two.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Why change? But if you want to try Esbit and/or alcohol, you just need a DIY, cottage, or commercial burner and good windscreen. Too many options to list. Personally I like a 700-1000 ml pot for solo, 1000-1400 ml for two.
    I think the OP should change to a quiet stove. One that fits the existing pot.

Journal Entries

The minimalist pot fits just fine on top of the pocket rocket. Am I missing something?
    RIAP

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I am mostly a weekend hiker with just a few multinight trips a year, so I feel qualified to comment on this one. (At last, a thread for the clueless weekender!)

I often wind up cooking for two, for various reasons. When I do, I bring the 1.6 litre pot from a GSI Dualist set. Otherwise, I bring a K-Mart grease strainer.

In either case, in warm weather or 'shoulder season' I bring a Penny Stove 2.0. I have modified mine to make the stand into a primer dish. A few drops of burning alcohol underneath have a big effect in getting the thing to start up properly. Just a few drops, mind you! The stove makes quite an impressive fireball if it's overprimed.

In hard winter, when I might have to melt snow, I bring the bigger pot always, and a Whisperlite.

I don't like Esbit, because I can't abide the stench; it quite puts me off eating. I have a mild preference for alcohol over gas, because I can see how much fuel I have left, it's quiet, and I don't need to go to an outfitter to refill. Any hardware store or gas station will do.

The "Jetboil eats first" contingent has a point. But I'm likely to be eating late, anyway, since I often do a bit of actual cooking - heresy, I know! So I eat late, but I eat well.

If you're content with your setup, though, why change?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

I'm just interested in looking at other options, that's all. I like goofing around with my gear and trying different things. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I find something new I like and I win. Maybe we need to start a new forum just for "clueless weekenders."
    RIAP

Tinny at Minibull Design has an $30 cook-kit w/Alchohol stove, 12cm Imusa pot, Lid and carbon felt wind screen. It is an option worth consideration.

https://www.minibulldesign.com/produ...4&idcategory=4

Good Luck

A word of caution, I started w/Tinny's $30 cook kit and now have several of his more expensive stoves. They can be a bit addictive.

Good Luck

I'm just interested in looking at other options, that's all. I like goofing around with my gear and trying different things. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I find something new I like and I win. Maybe we need to start a new forum just for "clueless weekenders."
    If you want to go in a completely different direction, consider experimenting with a wood burner. Agree with zelph that quiet stoves are nicer than noisy ones.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Three rocks and some wood, same as a wood stove. Save your money!
    “Any thoughts of guilt, any feelings of regret, had faded. The desert had baked them out.” - Stephen King

It doesn't sound like you really need to change anything, but it can be awfully fun to build your own alcohol stoves. =) http://www.thesodacanstove.com/

As for pots, I like the titanium REI one I got that holds just under a liter. I posted my little setup at http://www.thesodacanstove.com/cookset/

-- Ryan

Disclaimer: Yeah, that's my website. I'm not pretending otherwise! =)

Love my cheap Coleman Max Micro Stove. A little heavy at 6.7 oz but bombproof and will boil 2 cups in 2 minutes under optimum conditions, yet will simmer too, or anything in between. Snow Peak 2 quart Cook n Save ti pot at 8.6 oz is a versatile pot and big enough to cook up a nice pot of soup. I like the plastic lid. I cook my grits for dinner and save half for breakfast.

Garlic
    Images

I respect the rare person who has an open mind!

Look at Mags' excellent article about stove choice.

One option Mags discusses above and here is going stoveless. I wish someone had told me about that earlier in my hiking career. I am not a camp cook.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I got the OliCamp pot-saves 40% fuel with heat fins on thte bottom.....$25. 7.9 oz.--
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trebor- Check out the Caldera Cone Ti-Tri. It will give you an alchy, Esbit, and wood burner. You can get one sized to match your current pot, or get a new pot. http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/c...l-wood-burners The only big ding to the Caldera Cone is that its sized to match a specific pot- but you already know what size pot works for you.

That stove will let you play with all the different fuel options. As others have mentioned, expanding your pot options is another good choice. The pocket rocket is a pretty versatile stove in terms of solo, winter solo, and group cooker if you have different pots to go with.

I recently bought a Toaks pot and have been happy with it. There are some (very) technical dings regarding the TI thickness, but for the money I'm fine with the results. http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-POT-750-.../dp/B009B98FGW

If your heart is set on waterboiling canister convenience, instead of the Jetboil (nothing wrong with it really), you may consider picking up a remote canister stove. That would leave you with the option to cook in cold weather with your fuel of choice. Just make sure you buy one that allows you to invert the canister, not all remote can stoves do this, and inverting the canister is what makes it work in the cold.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 10-21-2013 at 09:12.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++