Default The best 4 day hike on the Florida Trail, what's your take?

I can't make it to the AT this fall, looking for a couple of options on the Florida Trail.
    I did order the new Florida trail guide today.
    Thanks

One good idea is a thru hike of the FT thru Ocala National forest. I did this hike last February, was a great trip.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Yup, what Praha said. The ONF has been called the 'crown jewel' of the FT. We both did it last year, about a week or so apart. The northern half is particularly beautiful. Believe it or not, and you may already know, but water harvesting is one of the biggest challenges on that walk. :-)
    We are all one big human family.

Fall on the Ocala Forest can be great. Check the hunting calender for hunt dates. No big deal but camping is restricted to designated campgrounds and Juniper Prairie Wilderness during general gun season.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I like Ocala too but I thought Nokuse was beautiful tho I don't think it would be a 4 day hike.

And then there is the Suwannee River, has a lot of ups and downs for Florida, water is pretty easy to find.

ditto what Treesloth said about Ocala NF. Water can be challenging, camel up! Also if you hike it in February, you can hang with the Rainbow People at Hopkins Prairie. I'm thinking about hiking Ocala NF again next February, had so much fun this year!

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    I like Ocala too but I thought Nokuse was beautiful tho I don't think it would be a 4 day hike.
    Well, it's anywhere from 70 to 80 miles long depending on where you start or end, so that could be 3 or 4 days depending on where and how fast you walk. Praha and myself both did it in three days. I think when I go again this winter I'm going to 'slow down and smell the roses' and do 4. And like the AT, the path is very well worn and well blazed. It's very 'loved' through ONF. Actually, ONF was where the FT was born in the first place.
    We are all one big human family.

[QUOTE=treesloth;1531115]Well, it's anywhere from 70 to 80 miles long depending on where you start or end, so that could be 3 or 4 days depending on where and how fast you walk.

Right and Nokuse, actually Nokuse Plantation is only 19-20 miles. But it is beautiful, the west end puts you into Eglin AFB.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'd rather do Ocala in the fall than the summer. I've done some brutal hikes in June.

I'm a little biased since I'm responsible for part of the Suwannee section but it's a gorgeous area.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Kudzu,

I have 2 windows to do Ocala, week prior to Thanksgiving or mid Dec.
    Should I be concerned about hunting season during either of those times?

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles View Post
    Kudzu,

I have 2 windows to do Ocala, week prior to Thanksgiving or mid Dec.
    Should I be concerned about hunting season during either of those times?
    I didn't look at the dates this year but that's normally deer season in these parts. Here is a link for more information. http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/ocala/ I don't let hunting season stop me from hiking, I wear an orange hat however and you must stay in designated camping area's during hunting season.

Thanks Moytoy,

I looked and you are right...it is smack dab in the middle of hunting season. I was wondering
    if there were more hunters out during Thanksgiving week or mid Dec.
    Also being in Garnet and Gold country, orange is not my favorite color!

aka Kudzu
    Images

:-P Not my neck of the woods but I'd say hunting activity is high during that time in the Osceola. During one of our work hikes we go right through a large hunt camp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by seminoles View Post
    Thanks Moytoy,

I looked and you are right...it is smack dab in the middle of hunting season. I was wondering
    if there were more hunters out during Thanksgiving week or mid Dec.
    Also being in Garnet and Gold country, orange is not my favorite color!
    Oh please don't wear Garnet and Gold that close to Gainesville You could also wear Tennessee Orange These days Tn orange hardly makes anybody mad. If you do decide to go I've noticed a lot of hunters come out of the woods by 10 or 11 o'clock. In the ONF you can travel a lot of miles between 11am and 4 pm.

I'm looking at doing this hike the week before Thanksgiving. I will be on leave and my wife and I are taking the baby back to my folks' place for Thanksgiving. She said I can take "a few days" and do some backpacking. I guess I get to determine what "a few" means LOL. I figure it's approximately 80 miles of walking so I'm thinking 3-4 days to complete ONF. I'll probably move north to south. I'll be reconfiguring my rig this weekend so that I can carry 3 liters of water, probably in a camelbak. Is three liters going to be enough in November or should I maybe plan for some sections to be drier than normal and plan on four liters? i don't really consume a lot of water when I'm walking, unless it's super hot which I don't expect it to be that hot in November. Also, is there a water source near each of the designated camping areas?

++ New Posts ++