WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I will do my best to avoid the black flies. My thoughts are to hit the high trails on the peaks of the ranges that the ancient miners made use of. Do black flies avoid the higher elevations? If I find some small pieces of copper I'll turn them in to the museum. If I can find evidence of ancient mines (Hammer Stones) I'll be a happy camper. I know the views will be spectacular from the high elevations.

Zelph, I believe that park rules are leave it where you find it. By going in late August, early September black flies should not be a problem. Personally I have never been bitten by a skeeter up there at that time, haven't even used any Deet so far. YMMV .... If you intend to go off trail overnight you will have to get a permit for that and most likely show them you have some map and compass skills, special camping rules apply.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Zelph, I believe that park rules are leave it where you find it. By going in late August, early September black flies should not be a problem. Personally I have never been bitten by a skeeter up there at that time, haven't even used any Deet so far. YMMV .... If you intend to go off trail overnight you will have to get a permit for that and most likely show them you have some map and compass skills, special camping rules apply.
    Thanks 4Bears for that info. I'll leave them where I find them.

I'm going to google for some trail maps to see if there are some that are on top of the ridges.

Images

This video was informative:

Images

You will love the place even if you don't find any long lost copper mines.

By the way the my avatar picture was taken at Hatchet lake on Isle Royale.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    You will love the place even if you don't find any long lost copper mines.

By the way the my avatar picture was taken at Hatchet lake on Isle Royale.
    I can feel it in my bones a lost mine will appear while searching.

Can you catch perch or small mouth from shore at Hatchet Lake?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I can feel it in my bones a lost mine will appear while searching.

Can you catch perch or small mouth from shore at Hatchet Lake?
    We didn't catch anything at Hatchet Lake actually. Some say there are no fish in hatchet lake, some say there are. Saw other people pull yellow perch out of other lakes however.

But any excuse to throw a line and watch a sunset.

Zelph, whatever you do, if you come across any hoo doos do not topple any over!

"I wanna get on the water and fish, collect rocks, go in the mines, listen to the wolves, watch the sunsets, sit by a campfire and waith for the perch to get cooked for lunch and dinner. I can eat fish 3 times a day :-))) and have fresh picked berries for desert. I'll plan to go later in the season to miss the black flies and skeeters."

All possible with the one ? being the collection of anything as in displacing, removing, etc of rocks. In some NPs that is frowned upon or not allowed. I can't imagine if everyone visiting Haleakala or Hawaii Volcanoes NPs started taking chunks of lava rocks home. Pele can get touchy about her lava.

Zelph, were those UL wursts in the pan?

Sounds like you got a GREAT plan for IRNP. Enjoy!

They may frown upon you going into a mine too. And, again, the mines are mostly open pit surface ones.

If you're into mines, which can AND OFTEN are dangerous places, I can give you a few hikes where you'll find them. Caves and spelunking have to be approached with caution as well but you might look ibnto a few simpler(less dangerous) ones to explore. I do caving and mine exploring on hikes when appropriate. Did you know there are caving/mine exploring opps near and, in a few incidences I know of, adjacent to the AT?

Good vid although wish it showed the copper mines, coastal back country screened shelters, and ALL of the fire towers(I think there are three total). The hike those guys did was a real simple rather short popular one although they did go over Greenstone Ridge pretty much only bisecting it though. The NPS website has a sufficient enough trail map for on trail hiking purposes as well as showing the ferry routes and where the ferries stop. It's free. The NPS IRNP site is well done supplying comprehensive beta. It sounds like you could use more detailed info on the mining sites though. If I recall correctly the NPS had some books and simple maps specific to the mining sites. These materials I think are(were) available at the Rock Harbor Info Center at that Ferry Port. Don't remember what was at Windigo in the way of books and maps.

Images

Screened shelters would nice to be able to see where they are. Be nice to use one of those as a base camp.

I have the book that I give a link to, very informative, scroll up and down for days of good reading if you're interested in Ancient Americans and mining on Lake Superior Shores:

I'll leave the spelunketing to you experts Those brats were my size and then some.

For those of you living in the state of New York read the book(link) about the ancient ones in your area

I'm getting cabin fever already.

Ancient Mining of Isle Royale

Last edited by zelph; 10-30-2013 at 18:27.

Images

I'm sure you know this but the shelters on IRNP are not communal like the AT. They are first come first serve but they are not shared like the AT. If there is one person in a shelter and they don't want to share, they don't have to.

There are also time limits on how long you can stay at the different campgrounds that range from 1 day (at RH and Three Mile) to 5 days at some of the off shore campgrounds (need boat to get there). The campgrounds that have docks tend to get taken up by folks with boats or by people that hire the water taxi because they schedule their arrival time in the morning so they get there when the folks are packing up from the night before. Once you get away from the larger campgrounds with docks there is much less competition for space.

It's not that you can't get a shelter, but just like the AT, always plan to tent.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I'm sure you know this but the shelters on IRNP are not communal like the AT. They are first come first serve but they are not shared like the AT. If there is one person in a shelter and they don't want to share, they don't have to.

There are also time limits on how long you can stay at the different campgrounds that range from 1 day (at RH and Three Mile) to 5 days at some of the off shore campgrounds (need boat to get there). The campgrounds that have docks tend to get taken up by folks with boats or by people that hire the water taxi because they schedule their arrival time in the morning so they get there when the folks are packing up from the night before. Once you get away from the larger campgrounds with docks there is much less competition for space.

It's not that you can't get a shelter, but just like the AT, always plan to tent.
    Here's a good link on the camping details to go along with what Bfayer is telling you. Good pts he's making. On the link you'll see more of what's available at each camping area. http://www.isle.royale.national-park.com/camping.htm Note where the chart tells of which camping areas have shelters in conjunction with the free NPS trail map.

Again, as I noted, the closer to the two main harbors(ferry docking ports- Windigo and ESPECIALLY Rock harbor) the crowded and consequently more competitive the shelters in the case of Rock Harbor(I do not think there is public screened shelter camping at Windigo). The Main port is RH. This is where the crowds tend to congregrate. Those campsites at and closest to RH tend to be the most congested. Daisy Farm(near RH with 16 shelters) was a zoo everytime I was there. I tell you all this so you have the option of(and best possibility of snagging a screened in shelter) should you desire or feel the need for one. It could come in handy knowing these things in case of prolonged rain or insect issues. From what you shared it sounds like a shelter would make a good base camp from which to experience some of the things you wish to do as day hikes. The camping areas aren't too far spaced apart though(actually quite conveniently spaced apart trail mileage wise) but the screened shelter containing campsites can be. McCargoe Cove has 6 shelters and would make a good base camp for hitting the Minong Mine site and to Hatchet and Desor Lakes to fish as day hikes providing ample time for you to wander around looking at rocks or fishing and then heading back to the McCargo Cove base camp. The campsites on the south of the island that are more peaceful and quiet w/ shelters I've stayed at were Malone Bay and Moskey Basin. Again campsite character can vary. Some are on the coastline, some are near the Greenstone Ridgeline, some are in crowded areas, some are definitely lesser used in more remote areas, some are used more by boaters(at McCargo Cove I've always camped there with boaters, one boater allowed me use of one of his canoes, YEAH!), some are on lakes, some you have to boat into. etc. Mix em up. If your budget and logistics work strongly consider that renting and portaging by ferry of a canoe/kayak opportunity. Having plans for fishing and serene paddling on the island's lakes and perhaps if conditions allow on Lake Superior IMHO should be enjoyed to a greater extent by visitors. Some visitors aren't fully aware of the additional boating possibilites(I wasn't the first time I visited IRNP). telling U all this so your visit there can be the BEST it can the FIRST TIME you go there. Sounds to me IRNP fits very well into what you want to achieve in a trek. This is the type of place w/ your goals I think you might want to enjoy again and again and.... Wolves, moose, plants, woods, boating, fishing(both salt and freshwater, cool ferry ride to the NP, food/concession stands, paddling, and oh I almost forgot to mention rockhound/mining exploring opps, etc etc

I have all this info that I think others can use, and that I want to see others avail themselves of. Have a GReeat trip. Life's an adventure. Live LIFE to the fullest! Carpe Diem.

Images

Windigo has shelters, the campground is Washington creek. Much less crowded than RH, and home of the worlds most expensive showers

Washington Creek.jpg

Three years ago at Washington Creek after hiking from Rock harbor.
    Last edited by bfayer; 10-30-2013 at 21:32.

Images

One more Picture just to keep you motivated

Todd Harbor.jpg

Todd harbor

Images

You guys are getting me really pumped up for a longer stay than expected I may have to plan on a months worth.

With all the information provided so far, if there are lots of people reading this thread, the attendance on the Isle will increase quite a bit next season

bfayer, red sky at night, sailors delight

Because of the Lake effect, I will be in a tent Don't trust a hammock to gale force winds :-))))
    Last edited by zelph; 10-30-2013 at 22:59.

Images

Today I came across a few of my photos taken in the UP at a worked out mine that turned into a tourist attraction. Got to go on a personal tour in their back cave where they keep their "museum specimens" the copper pieces were huge. Local copper hunters find these huge chunks and sell them to the mine owner who inturn sells them to museums.

Random photos:

Last edited by zelph; 12-03-2013 at 00:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++