WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bears in Georgia

How are the bears this time of year in GA? Going to do Neels Gap to Springer next weekend and was reading about the conditions around Blood, and the lost food bags for Spring thru's. So, anybody know if they are more mellow this time of year or are they still in full force?

Someone on this site in an earlier thread made the comment that the bears in that area have "evolved" into a state of where they no longer hibernate. How true that is I do not know but with all the available hiker food I could see how it would be quite possible. Why take a long nap waiting for natural food supply to become abundant when hiker Joe has it right in his bag 24-7. I'd go at it like there's a good chance they're still around and just do what you normally do when you know they're around. Question - Do you sleep with your food?
    Last edited by atmilkman; 09-29-2013 at 10:42.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I don't. I have only hung twice in 150 miles of trail. Most of the time I just leave in my pack, with my pack secured to a tree next to my hammock. No problems ever. Now that I am going solo I am taking all necessary precautions as I am scared. Been thinking of just sleeping with it as most have said it is the best way, but they are sleeping in tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Mack View Post
    I don't. I have only hung twice in 150 miles of trail. Most of the time I just leave in my pack, with my pack secured to a tree next to my hammock. No problems ever. Now that I am going solo I am taking all necessary precautions as I am scared. Been thinking of just sleeping with it as most have said it is the best way, but they are sleeping in tents.
    I'm a ground dweller and sleeping with mine is what I did as well as a couple of other hikers I was with this spring right through that area. We never saw a single bear or any sign of one but it was colder than a witches tit at the time. Whether or not that had anything to do with it I don't know. Maybe some of the other hangers can give you some tips as to what they do. Hope you have a good hike. Sometimes there's nothing more rewarding than going solo.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Someone on this site in an earlier thread made the comment that the bears in that area have "evolved" into a state of where they no longer hibernate. How true that is I do not know but with all the available hiker food I could see how it would be quite possible. Why take a long nap waiting for natural food supply to become abundant when hiker Joe has it right in his bag 24-7. I'd go at it like there's a good chance they're still around and just do what you normally do when you know they're around. Question - Do you sleep with your food?
    And all this time I thought them Georgia bears went to Florida for the winter.

You should call the Neal Gap outfitter and ask about whether you are still required to carry a bear cannister in the section around Blood Mt to Slaughter gap, as the bears were very active earlier this year. You should hang your food everywhere in this section; I think bear hangers are now at all the shelters in that area. Still it is a great section to do at this time of year.

I hiked GA a year ago at this time. I only smelled a bear once and never saw one. I didn't stay at any of the shelter spots. I read about a bear in one of the early shelters (name escapes me now but it was around 12 miles from Springer). I hung my food PCT style and never had an issue. Enjoy. It is a great time to hike in GA.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Bear cannisters arn't required until 3/1.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Someone on this site in an earlier thread made the comment that the bears in that area have "evolved" into a state of where they no longer hibernate.
    My advice to you is to find out who this person is and always do the opposite of what they say

I was lead to believe that bears do not really hibernate in this area. They have routinely been seen in North Carolina too.

I just completed Springer to Gooch Gap last week. There are signs posted re using bear canisters but it is from Jarred Gap to Neels Gap and it said March to June. We hung our food but never saw a bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

[QUOTE=Ksims3254;1531186]I just completed Springer to Gooch Gap last week. There are signs posted re using bear canisters but it is from Jarred Gap to Neels Gap and it said March to June. We hung our food but never saw a bear.

How was water?

Default Bears in Georgia

I hiked the coosa backcountry trail to Duncan ridge trail, then took the AT to blood mountain about 2 weeks ago.

No bear sightings. A group of folks on blood mountain said they had heard about a sow and her cubs in the area but I never saw, smelled, or heard anything.

Did see a little jack russel that looked like she lived on the trail though...

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I was lead to believe that bears do not really hibernate in this area. They have routinely been seen in North Carolina too.
    They hibernate when it gets cold; if it's warm enough they will be out, but it's been cold enough for the last few winters, except possibly 2012 and it will be very cold this winter...well, that is if the Farmer's Almanac is remotely accurate.

If any bear has "evolved" beyond hibernation (or Torpor, if you wish, doesn't matter to me) it would be the Florida Black bear, especially in the southern sections, but even they have NOT lost the ability to hibernate.

Pedalling Fool has it right. Bears in Georgia will hibernate when it is cold enough. But it is usually for a short duration as the temps here just don't stay real cold for long. So, you will see bears here year round. Last winter was so mild I doubt any hibernating took place at all.

I would not be concerned with bears this time of year. If you see one consider yourself fortunate as very few hikers ever see any. If a bear takes your food, you should go play the lottery because the odds are about the same. Add to that the bear hunting seasons are starting up so that last thing a bear wants to see right now is a human. And all hunters know exactly where bear activity has been reported this year.

To the question about water above...it is running everywhere. We have had so much rain this year even seasonal springs that usually dry up by June are still running.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Pedalling Fool has it right. Bears in Georgia will hibernate when it is cold enough. But it is usually for a short duration as the temps here just don't stay real cold for long. So, you will see bears here year round. Last winter was so mild I doubt any hibernating took place at all.

I would not be concerned with bears this time of year. If you see one consider yourself fortunate as very few hikers ever see any. If a bear takes your food, you should go play the lottery because the odds are about the same. Add to that the bear hunting seasons are starting up so that last thing a bear wants to see right now is a human. And all hunters know exactly where bear activity has been reported this year.

To the question about water above...it is running everywhere. We have had so much rain this year even seasonal springs that usually dry up by June are still running.
    Great to know FatMan. Going to do Springer to Woody in two weeks. Thanks for the timely info.

I see poeple saying they sleep with their food near them and no one disputing that as a valid method. Is that really a good idea even with smaller black bears? They are still 200+ pounds I don't want to fight them, nor put others I am with at risk. Is it just luck (as bear sightings are obviously rare) that those poeple are not "attacked" for their food? I am heading Sobo in a month or so from Neel Gap to Amicalola and this sure would let me hike longer days if I didn't have to hang, but if it is not advised I would rather not put myself, my dog or others in danger because I wanted to save 15 minutes.

[QUOTE=Magic_Mack;1531188]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksims3254 View Post
    I just completed Springer to Gooch Gap last week. There are signs posted re using bear canisters but it is from Jarred Gap to Neels Gap and it said March to June. We hung our food but never saw a bear.

How was water?
    It rained most of the time we were there so water was not an issue. We refilled the first day at the hawk mountain shelter with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was at Neels Gap in mid May and there was a bear behind the Outfitters that visited the camping area and chewed into a Backpack. The staff helped run the bear off and said it had visited there previously. I don't know if they have taken care of the problem, but I wouldn't recommend camping there unless they have. You can inquire inside the Outfitters at Neels.

On Oct.24,2013,I saw one bear cross the trail and two hogs between Tray Gap and Deep Gap shelter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++