WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Burning TP

Default Burning TP

About 40 years ago, I was taught by instructors, then currently knowledgeable in the tenets of LNT backpacking, to burn my used toilet paper in the cat hole, before covering it over with dirt. Their explanation for this recommended practice was that otherwise animals would dig it up and it would lay on the surface until it decomposed, creating an eyesore. My question is for those now current in LNT orthodoxy, which I'm sure has evolved. Is this burning of used toilet paper still recommended and practiced by those in the know?

Images

i burn mine.

Images

As do I, unless it's been unusually dry. With my user name, you can guess how often that is!

I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. Just put a wad on the ground and piss on it and you'll see that it falls apart just from that.

Many LNT people are just a bunch of fanatics trying to outdo the other LNT guy to show just how environmentally friendly they are, but in fact much of what they do is just a waste of time.

Burning TP is a total waste of time, to say the least...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool:1531342
    I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. Just put a wad on the ground and piss on it and you'll see that it falls apart just from that.

Many LNT people are just a bunch of fanatics trying to outdo the other LNT guy to show just how environmentally friendly they are, but in fact much of what they do is just a waste of time.

I have the time

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I have the time
    But I'm not going to say anymore

I would say as long as it doesnt break one of the 7 rules of LNT then you are fine
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I suppose all the toilet paper scattered around the priviless shelters did not get the memo.

I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. .
    This might depend on climate and many other factors. I can say that I did see dug up toilet paper in the Sierra Nevada this summer and it is always a disgusting thing to come across. I pack my toilet paper out which is less disgusting and much less of a burden than it seems.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The key to getting TP to dissolve rapidly is to use singly ply TP and then add lots of liquid to it
    Wait 3- 4 minutes and then cover w/ dirt

I basically agree with this. I don't think animals dig up human feces. I think many people don't bury their feces or their toilet paper and that's the big reason I find both all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I suppose all the toilet paper scattered around the priviless shelters did not get the memo.
    Thats just the "don't pitch your tent here" warning system.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Thats just the "don't pitch your tent here" warning system.
    The shelter is warning enough for me.

Images

See if a Dr if it burns.

Journal Entries

Never before heard of that, I normally pee on the TP as well, which would make it not burn so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Never before heard of that, I normally pee on the TP as well, which would make it not burn so well.
    Yeah, and human poop is wet so how the heck will fouled TP burn completely? It won't. I have a whole new system for you folks---

** Toilet paper is obsolete---don't need it so don't carry it.
    ** Instead find a paper towel brand you like (Bounty for me) and use one sheet folded in half and wet with water to be completely damp.
    ** Wipe once, fold into quarter size and wipe twice. Use another wet paper towel if needed.
    ** Bury stool and grab your hiking pole again (I used it to dig the cathole).
    ** Punch the tip of the pole deep into a hole in the ground, often next to a tree which has soft ground. The pole tip can go pretty far down, 8 to 10 inches.
    ** Place folded paper towels in hole and punch down all the way with the hiking pole.
    ** Cover if needed with leaves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Yeah, and human poop is wet so how the heck will fouled TP burn completely? It won't. I have a whole new system for you folks---

** Toilet paper is obsolete---don't need it so don't carry it.
    ** Instead find a paper towel brand you like (Bounty for me) and use one sheet folded in half and wet with water to be completely damp.
    ** Wipe once, fold into quarter size and wipe twice. Use another wet paper towel if needed.
    ** Bury stool and grab your hiking pole again (I used it to dig the cathole).
    ** Punch the tip of the pole deep into a hole in the ground, often next to a tree which has soft ground. The pole tip can go pretty far down, 8 to 10 inches.
    ** Place folded paper towels in hole and punch down all the way with the hiking pole.
    ** Cover if needed with leaves, etc.
    I like it. No more fumblin with the lighter and no risk of unintended fire.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I would think pockets of methane and lighters don't make good combinations...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Unless I'm in a high fire risk area I will burn the TP.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I would think pockets of methane and lighters don't make good combinations...
    My friend Tailgunner would beg to differ. His favorite line was, "I've got a treat for you boys" which was always followed by a demonstration of his natural flame throwing talent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++