WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Forget Solar Chargers, This is a 8.5 oz Hydrogen Reactor For Charging Devices

Here is the description from the B&H website:

The orange Hydrogen Reactor Portable Power Pack from Brunton is a 2 Amp portable power system that never needs charging. The self-contained unit combines hydrogen from rechargeable cells with oxygen from the atmosphere to generate power. When a cell is discharged, replace it with a full cell and keep charging.

The solid-state design means there is no natural discharge over time, so it is perfect for emergency preparedness. Since it generates power through a chemical process with naturally occurring elements, there are no harmful chemicals or byproducts. The Hydrogen Reactor is an environmentally-friendly way to power tablets, cell phones, GPS units or most small electronics. At 5.3" long and weighing 8.5oz with a hydrogen core, the compact and lightweight design provides power without taking up a lot of space. Additional hydrogen cores and a H2O Hydrolizer core recharger are available.
    For only $150 and weighing 8.5 ounces, I bet many people are going to add this to their Christmas list. I know I have pre-ordered one!

995175.jpg

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Just read about it, pretty cool stuff. The size and weight are certainly not unacceptable, though in 5 or 10 years, these things will likely be the size of an iPod Nano.

The question now, for most people I'd believe, is how cost effective they are to operate for daily charging.
    We are all one big human family.

Journal Entries

I've see that or something similar. They sold (sell) a cell reconditioning machine too that would allow you to reuse the disposable cylinders at home instead of ordering new ones. The cost was pretty high compared to a battery pack, the weight was also pretty high for the power it delivered compared to a battery pack unless you carried multiple cylinders. I do think the one I saw looked a bit different from the pict the OP posted, so perhaps this one has better specs.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Just read about it, pretty cool stuff. The size and weight are certainly not unacceptable, though in 5 or 10 years, these things will likely be the size of an iPod Nano.

The question now, for most people I'd believe, is how cost effective they are to operate for daily charging.
    I wouldn't be so sure. The reason iPods and other electronics are shrinking is because information storage improves at an exponential rate. (It doubles every two years!) But energy storage is not much better than it was 20, 30, 40 or even 100 years ago. Gasoline and coal still have the same Btu/oz that they did in 1900!!

That's why I am typing this post on an iPad mini that is literally billions of times more powerful than the earliest computers, but we still don't have flying cars. I mean, compare the 1 bit vacuum tube of the 40's to today's microprocessors that have TRILLIONS of transistors per square inch. If batteries improved at a similar rate we could all have our own private space ship.

The Lithium Ion battery and it's derivatives was a major advancement in battery technology which makes things like tiny cell phones, tablets and the like possible. If these devices had to be powered with older rechargable technologies they would not be nearly as light or as compact or last as long between charges.

There are limits to amount of energy which can be stored due to the nature of the chemisty, so at best we can only strive to improve the overall efficency of the conversions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't see anywhere in the specs where it states the mAh one would expect to get from a single hydrogen fuel cell, nor how long it would take to recharge a fuel cell with hydrogen. It's impossible to evaluate the practicality without this.

Images

a spare battery is a lot lighter

How many AAA batteries is this equivalent to?

Bumblebee Tuna
    Let me go

A spare battery is much cheaper. Lithium ion batteries are much better than lead acid or nickel cadmium.

Images

I read this somewhere but I cant find the link to post...so I may stand to be corrected

One cell core is good for charging a cell phone 5-6 times or a pc tablet 1 time, then basically is depleted and would need recharging.. A charger for the homeowner will be available for $300... the diy charging process would take approximately 3 hrs requiring water and a electrical source. Some retailers will have chargers available to refill cell cores for free or charge $5 each... Cell cores can be purchased additionally for $15 each or $50 for a 4 pack...
    Charger comes with 2 cell cores...

Images

Correction.... portable power pack comes with 2 cell cores for $149.99

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I don't see anywhere in the specs where it states the mAh one would expect to get from a single hydrogen fuel cell, nor how long it would take to recharge a fuel cell with hydrogen. It's impossible to evaluate the practicality without this.
    Yes good questions - now explain why it isn't findable on the manufacture website!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++