WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hogpen to Dicks Water Availabilty

Anyone know how the water situation is on this section?

Should be good--I have read reports that all the springs and streams were flowing. N. GA has had more rain this year than is normal for an entire year. Sept. has been dry, but is looks like we might get a tropical storm through here on Sunday/Monday. Here is the rainfall scorcecard for GA: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/?n=rainfall_scorecard

I was out there 9/29-10/3, and some of the water sources were a little sketchy. There hadn't been much rain in the last few weeks; the springs were running at a trickle in places and had already begun filling with leaves. It really depends on how you collect and filter. John's Spring near Sassafras Gap had filled in, and I was scooping salamanders at the source closest to Blue Mtn. Shelter. If the predicted rains come on Sunday and Monday, it may make a lot of difference.

Journal Entries

Should be fine. I had no issues last week in GA and NC. Plan to stick to the reliable sources at shelters and you will have no issues.

Some folks often dont understand that some sources are "intermittent" or not as reliable as others. There are sources, and then there are RELIABLE sources.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-06-2013 at 01:08.

++ New Posts ++