WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: REI Gear Return

Default REI Gear Return

I'm having a moral dilemma. I love my current backpack (Gregory Deva 60), which I've had for a year and half, but she's way too heavy (5lbs 8oz) to bring on a thru hike. I want to get a lighter backpack, and I was thinking of returning the one I have to REI because I don't need two backpacks of that capacity, and getting the money back from my Gregory to buy a new pack would definitely help my budget. Would it be wrong to return it for these reasons even though I love it?

How many times have you used the Deva? If it's not worn or abused and in like new condition, I'd think about returning it.

returns are limited to 1 year

Registered User Turkey Sandwich's Avatar

Try trading or selling on Craigslist or WB. You could still get a good price for it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    Would it be wrong to return it for these reasons even though I love it?
    You wouldn't ask the question if you didn't already know the answer. Returns should be because of product or manufacturer defects only.
    Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    You wouldn't ask the question if you didn't already know the answer. Returns should be because of product or manufacturer defects only.
    Ickybod
    That's not REI's policy. They have a 100% satisfaction policy for 1 year (used to be unlimited). From there site:

If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund.
    They have a unlimited return policy separately from that for defects:

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time.

Return it. It is too heavy, for that reason you are not 100% satisfied. If you purchased before the return policy change they will still honor the old policy.

Registered User Turkey Sandwich's Avatar

Also, my PSA: speaking as a former outdoor store employee, you should know that a lot of returned merchandise is simply trashed if it can't be resold. Sure, SOME of it will go to the scratch and dent sale, but a lot of the time perfectly serviceable shoes and packs and other things will be tossed away. And by tossed away, I mean actually shredded up by the loss prevention department so that even a homeless person couldn't use them.

returns are time limited, and even at that, their policy is not as liberal as it used to be. give it a shot, but don't be surprised if they don't go for it. if your local rei has a lot of rental/loaner activity they may be more motivated

Since it is a 60L, why not keep it and purchase a smaller/lighter pack?

I currently own an Osprey 70L, which is quite large for my normal 2-3 day hikes; however, the pack was optimal when I spent 9 days in Costa Rica. That pack has replaced my need for any form of luggage while travelling abroad (whether for outdoor activities or just visiting family).

I would buy another and keep your current one as a spare. You can always get a good price for it on craigslist.

This is the end all answer to this because I have inquired from REI what is morally correct here.

REI is a nonprofit. Its a COOP. If you have gear that is not in threads or completely destroyed due to misuse, not use *and you are an REI member, you can return it.

Example: I had REI print me a list of all purchased items from 1999 to present, and started collecting. Anything that was not used, I didnt like or needed new of I rounded up and put in a big box. Some of the stuff I had loaned out and had to collect back. I sent it off to Kent Washington. Some of the items were 13 years old! I recieved a gift card to REI for apx $815. This is why REi can get away with this:

When you become a member you pay 20 bucks, alot of people make one large purchase and pay for the membership to get a 10% kickback on a 2000 kayak at the end of the year. But after that purchase they dont really use the membership thus rei wins.

secondly, When REI recieves gear as a return they sort and save then distribute all this gear to the stores around the country and when the store has enough used stuff they price is at a greatly discounted rate and sell it back to customers but here is the kicker:

With distribution and manufacturing retailers like REI have a certain % of what they call "fail in field" with who they buy from. Example REI might have a 3% fail in field with Osprey. Thus, For however much REI buys from OSPREY they will get a 3% kickback for failures in the field. So rei is compensated for what you return to them by the company they bought it from, and THEN rei is going to sell it back to another customer at a greatly discounted rate.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Section Hiker

I have a Deva 60. For the reasons you mention, I would not feel right about returning my pack after having it that long or using it. We knew it was that heavy when we bought them, right? Is what it is. In the meantime, I have tried others but come back to the Deva because it fits right and carries what I want it to. Have you considered making other gear changes to reduce your overall weight? That's what I did and am very happy with my weight right now (26 lbs, summer/fall, long weekend). Plus if you need a good pack for a thru, how much weight are you really going to save getting a lighter pack because you still need something that will hold up? Two pounds? If you like the pack otherwise, find a way to pare down somewhere else. OH, the other thing I did was cut some junk out of the pack--the strap for the fanny pack, the pockets inside the side pockets, the interior divider and its buckles--anything that is in the way and you don't need. That shaves off weight, and keeps all that crap from getting in your way.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    returns are limited to 1 year
    From what I understand, that is only for items that were purchased AFTER the new 1 year policy went into effect. For items purchased before the new policy went into effect, the only policy still rules.

I think the new policy started sometime this year. So if I'm correct, then the OP would still be subject to the old policy.

Images

it is morally wrong to return it for the reason you stated - you need money to buy a new/lighter pack,

Either sell it on ebay, here on WB or craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This is the end all answer to this because I have inquired from REI what is morally correct here.

REI is a nonprofit. Its a COOP. If you have gear that is not in threads or completely destroyed due to misuse, not use *and you are an REI member, you can return it.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. For short trips I am 100% satisfied with my backpack, but for long trips I'm not. My back pack is in really good shape. I don't even think it has a scratch on it. There's a little dirt on it which I can easily clean up.

I do like the Craigslist idea though. I have a feeling it would be hard sell considering I live on the beach though...

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut Von Fluffbutt View Post
    Since it is a 60L, why not keep it and purchase a smaller/lighter pack?

I currently own an Osprey 70L, which is quite large for my normal 2-3 day hikes; however, the pack was optimal when I spent 9 days in Costa Rica. That pack has replaced my need for any form of luggage while travelling abroad (whether for outdoor activities or just visiting family).

I would buy another and keep your current one as a spare. You can always get a good price for it on craigslist.
    I already have a 38L that is great. I figure 55-60L is just about the right size for a thru hike, and having two backpacks that are just about the same size, but one is heavy and one is light is kind of useless.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I have a Deva 60. For the reasons you mention, I would not feel right about returning my pack after having it that long or using it. We knew it was that heavy when we bought them, right? Is what it is. In the meantime, I have tried others but come back to the Deva because it fits right and carries what I want it to. Have you considered making other gear changes to reduce your overall weight? That's what I did and am very happy with my weight right now (26 lbs, summer/fall, long weekend). Plus if you need a good pack for a thru, how much weight are you really going to save getting a lighter pack because you still need something that will hold up? Two pounds? If you like the pack otherwise, find a way to pare down somewhere else. OH, the other thing I did was cut some junk out of the pack--the strap for the fanny pack, the pockets inside the side pockets, the interior divider and its buckles--anything that is in the way and you don't need. That shaves off weight, and keeps all that crap from getting in your way.
    When I first bought all my backpacking gear I wasn't thinking all that much about weight, at least not the backpack. I tried to buy my other gear light, but didn't really succeed in that either. I definitely didn't realize that the Deva weight 5.5 lbs, not until I started planning my thru hike for next year.

I really like the idea of cutting off all the extras! How much weight were you able to shave off? See, this is the thing, I've already spent close to $1k reducing the weight of my sleep system. My pack right now without food and water is 22#, and might be a little bit more if I decide to bring some additional winter gear. Looking back it might have been cheaper to just buy a lighter backpack rather than a lighter sleep system. I would easily be able to save 2 lbs if I bought a lighter backpack. Is saving 2 lbs really worth it? I feel like I'm putting way too much thought into this.
    Last edited by frogmonkey; 10-03-2013 at 10:33. Reason: Forgot something...

Well, using this logic, I could buy a winter sleeping bag, use it for the winter, return it for a summer sleeping bag, use it for the summer, return it for a winter sleeping bag, .........

It's the same thing with LL Bean gear, which has a much more liberal return policy, I wouldn't feel morally right returning something, unless it was in NEW condition, unless it was defective in some way. I would NEVER return something because my need for gear had changed since I had bought it, unless it was unused (even then not a year down the road). Grownups have to take some responsibility for making an adult decision.

It's the abuse of these liberal return policies that is causing them to be pared back bit by bit. We have people buying LL Beans clothing at yard sales, then returning it to the stores. I don't care whether it's a coop, or not, there will be a certain number of ... people that will ruin it for everyone.

Journal Entries

It does sound to me like your current pack has served it's purpose in your hiking life and you are moving on from it. You have simply 'outgrown' it. Is that a moral reason to return it (since this is a moral question you asked), with a 100% satisfaction policy?

I could say that since you used it for that stage of your hiking life to the point that you are moving forward, it has served it's exact purpose by fact that you are now ready to move on and get something more appropriate to where you are now but that will have to be your call.

On my thru I did return quite a bit of REI stuff, summary:
    Jetboil - Flux ring broke - exchanged
    Hiking stick broke 3x, exchanged 2x (one was still usable while broken)
    Sleeping bag, did not like material feel, found bag at 1/2 the weight - returned
    Prolight sleeping mat - not cushy enough, interfered with sleep - returned
    MSR Carbon tent, weight heavier then advertized, didn't like setup (hard to do and allowed rain in main area), didn't use on the thru, but found it not good for me right before the thru on training hikes - returned
    Steripen - operated erratically (could always get it to purify when needed however - it would turn on on it's own) - exchanged

The only one that comes close to your situation is the sleeping bag, if it was not for finding a bag at half the weight on the thru I would have kept it. It was also ordered over REI.com so I didn't know about the feel till I got it. So really I was not satisfied with it from the beginning, but willing to give it a go, till I saw the alternative.

So morally do you qualify for the satisfaction policy is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    Well, using this logic, I could buy a winter sleeping bag, use it for the winter, return it for a summer sleeping bag, use it for the summer, return it for a winter sleeping bag, .........
    Thats not even close to the same thing I'm talking about, though I get your point. I'm talking about getting a lighter backpack to use in exchange for my heavier one, period. Not exchanging the lighter one for the heavier one when I get back and then exchanging it for a lighter one if I decide to do a thru hike again.

Every pound counts. The less the better.

Sent from somewhere.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frogmonkey View Post
    I do like the Craigslist idea though. I have a feeling it would be hard sell considering I live on the beach though...
    I think you'd be able to sell it just fine locally, after all there are a lot of outdoor types in Tidewater and, we are not served by a decent outfitter.

My only concerns are the freaks that come from Craigslist
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++