WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smokies section?

I understand that the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park is closed due to the government 'shutdown'. With that being said, is the AT open? If it's closed per the NPS, are people still hiking on it anyways? Is it being enforced? If caught on the trail, what's the punishment? My family will be heading up that way Friday, and I had planned on doing an overnighter with my oldest kid. I don't mind committing some 'civil disobedience', ol' Thoreau would be proud, I just don't want to go to jail. I guessing if anything, they're just telling people to leave.
    "You hiked up a mountain? Why would anyone want to do that?"--question posed to me by friend

Well, you go do that and let us know how it worked out, eh?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'll be sure to, thanks! I can always count on jacka$$ to reply.
    "You hiked up a mountain? Why would anyone want to do that?"--question posed to me by friend

Journal Entries

There is another whole lengthy thread on it.

The potential punishment could range from just a $500 fine with a good story, to some time in jail and many thousands in legal fees.

The park still has over 40 law enforcement personnel to enforce park security, and I would wager that the main thing they do is routinely patrol access points and look for vehicles indicating trespassers, then go hunt them down.

You would not be setting a very good example for a child as well.

Easy to do a great overnighter on Fontana-NOC section just south of there. Stecoah gap in the middle gives 2 great options for a 15 mile overnighter.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-06-2013 at 21:12.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bpitt View Post
    I understand that the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park is closed due to the government 'shutdown'. With that being said, is the AT open? If it's closed per the NPS, are people still hiking on it anyways? Is it being enforced? If caught on the trail, what's the punishment? My family will be heading up that way Friday, and I had planned on doing an overnighter with my oldest kid. I don't mind committing some 'civil disobedience', ol' Thoreau would be proud, I just don't want to go to jail. I guessing if anything, they're just telling people to leave.
    The AT thru GSMNP is closed.

Beyond that, I can only say that forum rules do not allow us to discuss committing illegal acts, and I believe that is going to include discussion of hiking on closed trails.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The AT thru GSMNP is closed.

Beyond that, I can only say that forum rules do not allow us to discuss committing illegal acts, and I believe that is going to include discussion of hiking on closed trails.
    He was asking for more clarification and the ramifications of any decision. Rather than edit the discussion, it is useful for people who may be thinking along the same lines.

thanks.

Short answer: Don't do it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++