WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Byer Hammock?

Images

Default Byer Hammock?

I did a quick search, but didn't come up with the info I needed.

I'm intrigued by the idea of hammock camping and came across the Byer Moskito hammock. It looks pretty good on-line and I was wondering if someone could give me a side-by-side with some of the nicer ($$) ones, like Hennessy. Are they as comfortable, durable, easy to set up? Thanks a lot. I'd love to be able to try this whole hammock thing with a $40 start-up.

Thanks a lot,

-P

Images

i bought my Hennessy based on a need for a light shelter, comfort, rainworthiness, durability, bugproofness, and ease of setup. found it in the HH Backpacker Asym, based heavily on Sgt Rock's apparant high opinion of the company and its products (didn't know that, did you Rock?) I'm 5-10, 175 lbs. and it fits me just fine. the explorer is a little bigger, but weighs more too. were i 6'+ and 200#+, maybe i'd use it instead.

to be comfortable, you need to be able to lie in a hammock flat. i can do that in my asym. couldn't do it in another hammock i owned years ago that forced me to lay like a banana. nice enough for naps, but not for really getting a good night's rest. never tried the byer, but it looks about the same.

so i'd say no, don't get it. but that's just my humble opinion.

Check out Risk's test hammock at www.imrisk.com to see if you want to sleep in a hammock. You can make one for about $10 at Walmart with no sewing, and it'll be just as comfortable (if not as light...depending on what materials they have in the bargain bin) as a Speer. Add a tarp and you have rain protection.

If you like it, spend the money on a Speer kit and make your own if you need to save $$. Or have someone make it for you...really simple plan. Otherwise, drop the $40 on a Byer now with the intention of upgrading later if you want. It seems that while people experiment with the cheaper ones, they usually end up in either a HH or Speer, with a few in the Clark...none of which are cheap. But maybe those are just the ones who post a lot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker
    i bought my Hennessy based on a need for a light shelter, comfort, rainworthiness, durability, bugproofness, and ease of setup. found it in the HH Backpacker Asym, based heavily on Sgt Rock's apparant high opinion of the company and its products (didn't know that, did you Rock?) I'm 5-10, 175 lbs. and it fits me just fine. the explorer is a little bigger, but weighs more too. were i 6'+ and 200#+, maybe i'd use it instead.
    I hear that a lot. Someday Satan will probably tell me he got a HH based on my review because he was looking for a good sleeping shelter for hot weather. >
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default dont have their hammock

but do have the byer swinger which is a hammock chair, it hangs from a beam on the front deck...after i sat in it for the first time i swore i would never drop any more money on 'real' furniture like lazy boys, this thing will put you to sleep it is so comfortable.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    I did a quick search, but didn't come up with the info I needed.

I'm intrigued by the idea of hammock camping and came across the Byer Moskito hammock. It looks pretty good on-line and I was wondering if someone could give me a side-by-side with some of the nicer ($$) ones, like Hennessy. Are they as comfortable, durable, easy to set up? Thanks a lot. I'd love to be able to try this whole hammock thing with a $40 start-up.

Thanks a lot,

-P
    it is not a whole hammock,you will need a tarp and suspension lines to make it complete,i have a byer traveler hammock without mosquito net
    it not as comfortable as my hennessey, neo

I tried the Byer hammock, it is not a backpacking hammock. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to use it as one. I would not recommend it for anything but the backyard. If you want to get the "feel" of hammock camping, make your own on the cheap as suggested previously, or get the Byer of Maine Amazonian for $20. Test you ability to sleep in a hammock in your backyard, research the subject extensively before investing major $$. I sleep in a HH ULB asym, I will never sleep on the ground again.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

We used Byers to which we added bug nets. for a year....good hammocks...they allow for you to use the diagonal angle...yes, you have to add the ropes or webbing and a tarp...but hey, many already have these items...they are light and in expensive...

Personally, I didn't care for the strings on the end...they tended to tangle...altough they never broke it was a daily inspection item for me...if you use a cabiner for the rope attachment it is easier to remove and untangle the short cords...also there would be less of this issue if you use snake skins, # 2s should fit..

Switched to HH for the elimination of strings, ease and stability of bottom entry, and additional space in the ends because the bug netting goes to the corners...other considerations were elimination of the zipper, which could fail some day and color.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default Byer Hammock

I have two of the 11 oz. Byers.
    The support lines at the head / foot of one unraveled, making the hammock unusable.
    The other one "threw" me out onto the ground. Snap, Thud !
    That's the only time in many, many years of hammocking that I've ever had that happen.

I'm now a happy Hennessy camper.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I hear that a lot. Someday Satan will probably tell me he got a HH based on my review because he was looking for a good sleeping shelter for hot weather. >
    i don't mind sharing the idea with him. as long as he doesn't come up and starting begging for drinks outside Fiddler's Green.

I made my own system for um... maybe 50$ (that's tarp, hammock, webbing, bugnet) ala risk (not the just the test hammock- check out his other stuff) (http://www.imrisk.com) and it's great for med-warm temps. I need to work out warm stuff though. Strings look to be nasty- our "traditional" hammocks used for the back yard only still were a pain to untangle all the time- go for single string/webbing ends.

remember you don't have to splash out for a hennesy/speer/clark if you don't want to! maybe buy the byer and some webbing, and replace the strings somehow...

titanium
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the help and all the comments. Based on all the good advice on here (and a lot of the info on SGT Rock's site) I bought a Hennessy UltraLite Backpacker A-sym today.

I set it up in the woods behind my place and so far couldn't love it more. It's a little nerve-wracking to make such a fundamental change in my system, but I'm excited. I'm taking a ten-day in Massachusetts and it's coming with me for sure. I'm sure I'll come back sold for life.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Make sure you test it before you go...know how to insulate underneath you and all.

Images

Testing it right now. I managed to pitch it in the living room off the door hinge and the balcony. Hammock, laptop, and the Dog the Bounty Hunter marathon on A&E. I'm converted.

Eh...careful on that door hinge...you're putting about 600lbs of force on it.

See http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1087

Images

Haha, awesome thread, Jeff. I'm on an apartment industrial-type steel door with a whopper hinge, though, so I'm good. I did land on my ass a little while ago, though, because the crazy contraption on the balcony came loose. I have my bike repair stand wedged on the outside of the balcony and it slid loose. Pretty gentle fall and got my girlfriend laughing.

Haha...I just did that yesterday, too. I made a quick stand by lashing some poles together and running a rope from the top of the poles to the bottom of a nearby tree (that can't be used to hang the hammock). The other end is on a different tree. So I got in the HH, and as soon as I pulled my feet in it started sliding...and since my feet were already in there was nothing I could do...just hit my ass right on the ground!

Nobody saw, so I don't know why I'm telling you guys...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker
    i don't mind sharing the idea with him. as long as he doesn't come up and starting begging for drinks outside Fiddler's Green.
    Good idea. I reckon we ought to create a hammock stealth camp at Fiddlers' Green. I'll bring a flask of good whiskey
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Good idea. I reckon we ought to create a hammock stealth camp at Fiddlers' Green. I'll bring a flask of good whiskey
    and i'll bring an extra (toujour pret, you know?)

glad you're excited. just remember to find your ideal angle (diagonal to the center line) work out the little "pillows" (clothes, stuff) under your neck and knees, and work out your warmth system. (it can get cold on the bottom)

titanium
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++