WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Harry, the 87 year old German

Harry is an 87 year old German, currently thru hiking the AT. Harry is a remakable man. The first thing he asks when he gets to a town or hostel is "Ver ist da beer?" What is really remarkable and an insperation is Harry has a metal plate in his head and still carries shrapnnel from the war - WW II. He and his departed wife were serious ice and rock climbers, climbing mountains all over the world.

All of us who have meet Harry are hoping he makes it all the way. He has a good chance of doing it too. Like the Energizer bunny, he just keeps going and going. Once Harry finishes the AT, he wants to get a hip replacement and go to New Zeland and do a big hike there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

awesome. Vielen Gluck Harry!
    Let me go

That is awesome... pulling for Harry!

Wow.......................
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Excellent. I have already announced my plans to thru hike when I'm 90 years old (NOBO class of '49). I will have to get some pointers from Harry. He should learn the English phase "craft beer from local microbrewery". Otherwise he might be disappointed with his request.

That's awesome for him! I gotta be honest I cringed a bit when I heard he was a German who (presumably) saw combat in WWII... I think there's a term for that... But I guess I'm just being a little too nationalist myself, so I won't give it too much thought.

Regardless of my ethnocentrism, I wish him all the best on his hike!

"A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

All I remember from my high school german is "guten tag"...."guten gehen" might suffice. Anyway, we wish him the best hike ever!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Does anyone know where he is at on the trail? Or any way of keeping up with him? It would be interesting to know if he makes it or not. Hopefully folks can update this thread with his whereabouts if they run into him on the trail.

Images

Wow! That is pretty amazing stuff. I wish Harry all the best! He sounds like he is making the most of his time on this planet.

Thats what I'm talking about when I say living on the edge and living life to its fullest!!! Yeeeeeeeeeehahhhhhhhh

henry
    Journal Entries

great for harry..would like to know pack weight and average speed..per day...any other specifics
    thankyou all

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Does anyone know where he is at on the trail? Or any way of keeping up with him? It would be interesting to know if he makes it or not. Hopefully folks can update this thread with his whereabouts if they run into him on the trail.
    Harry was the first hiker I met on this trip as I ran into him at the north springs Marta station it Atlanta. Even though there was a language barrier we learned a lot about one another in the two hours we spent with one another. We both started April 17th. I hiked into Pearisburg yesterday and last I heard he was only a few days behind me. I'd say he's near Bland.

Quote Originally Posted by henry g wilgo View Post
    great for harry..would like to know pack weight and average speed..per day...any other specifics
    thankyou all
    Harry started off with a pretty large and heavy pack, which is common. But he quickly adapted replacing much of his gear at Mountain Crossings. He has a very slow, but very consistant pace. Mostly he hikes shelter to shelter. I'm not sure he has a tent as all the times I've meet him, he was staying in the shelters.

As far as I know, he hasn't taken any zeros and is keeping up with most every one who started about the same time he did. Even the 20 somethings who thought they would get ahead and never see him again. But take a few zero's here and there and all of a sudden Harry shows up again. Harry was a day or two behind me when I got off at Marion, VA this last Monday, so he should now be on his way to Pearisburg. The only reason I got ahead of him was I took the Iron Mt Trail short cut around the highlands because my allergies were getting so bad and I just wanted to go home at that point. The quicker I got to the bus station, the better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Harry passed through Harpers Ferry a couple of weeks ago. He is a remarkable person who has led a very interesting life. If you have any Harry sightings, can you let me know privately? I have some maps that he was interested in for the New England section.

Laurel at the Teahorse Hostel

We are trying to locate Harry. Last time we know of he went thru Kent Vt on Sept 17. He told someone he wouldn't be able to finish but intends to come back in 2015 and finish!! Love his optimism!! Amazing! If anyone knows of Harry's whereabouts or how to contact him please let me know privately. I had offered to give him a ride when it was time to go home then went off the trail and lost his contact info. I'd really like to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Excellent. I have already announced my plans to thru hike when I'm 90 years old (NOBO class of '49).
    In the spirit of Shaffer, I have inked-in a 50-year anniversary hike from my first thru.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Had the pleasure of meeting Harry as we progressed thru Va.182.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    That's awesome for him! I gotta be honest I cringed a bit when I heard he was a German who (presumably) saw combat in WWII... I think there's a term for that... But I guess I'm just being a little too nationalist myself, so I won't give it too much thought.

Regardless of my ethnocentrism, I wish him all the best on his hike!
    You do realize that relatively few members of the German military were Nazis, right? The average Heer soldier was just a kid who was drafted into service, and had no desire to join the Nazi party.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++