WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default OK....So Whatcha got in North Carolina?

Snacktime has suggested that Springer should wait for our 8th grade year, along with our Katahdin finale. He thinks we should tackle North Carolina this spring. Now, since this is a school vacation hike, and not a "field trip" study of the entire state, we'll be needing advice on the best NC section(s) to tackle...up to a max of about 40 miles.

We'll be hostelling when we can and tenting when we can't. NOBO SOBO? It will be late april, so we might be ahead of the big bubble, but just in time for whatever cooties the new class has contracted.

A few of you know us well enough by now to have a gist of our "style"... any recommendations? (Want to join us?)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

You have to pass through Roanoke VA to get to NC... just sayin!!

Erwin to 19E.

Shmaybix "You have to pass through Roanoke VA to get to NC... just sayin!!

Well....YEAH!!! You didn't think for a minute I'd forget that fact did you? The tough part will be getting Snacktime to leave his Roanoke home to get out to the trail! And we STILL have to ge to James River and the Shennies.

Just so you know.....I'll never miss an opportunity to see you again....or Deer Hunter....or FarmerChef & Clan. You guys made that trip for us so much more special than we'd ever imagined.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 10-07-2013 at 15:49.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Labojo View Post
    Erwin to 19E.
    What he said!
    Here are my pics. I hiked it from 19E, down to Erwin. I liked it so much, I did it TWICE!

http://sdrv.ms/QtlH6t

Quote Originally Posted by briankeithsmith View Post
    What he said!
    Here are my pics. I hiked it from 19E, down to Erwin. I liked it so much, I did it TWICE!

http://sdrv.ms/QtlH6t
    Perfect! Loads of beautiful pictures, info that area has "balds" (sun exposure...very important), lodging, and some plaques so I can educate the young man too! Win, win and win!

Thanks briankeithsmith and Labojo !

Images

Well I don't know you or your hiking style, but you asked for North Carolina - so I will suggest Davenport Gap to Hot Springs - this goes over Max Patch,

hey teacher, i'm goin' hikin' in the highlands tomorrow so i'll finally see what snacktime put in the magic bag he gave me

And to further add to your choices, I suggest Winding Stair Gap to the Nantahala Outdoor Center. You will encounter not one, but two, firetowers that no 12 year old boy can resist (360 degree views) nicely graded trail for the most part, 3 shelters, lots of flat tent sites, and a challenging descent to the NOC where you can take him rafting - and pig out at one of several restaurants right by the river.
    oh, and there is a bald in this section too (Siler Bald)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Shmaybix "You have to pass through Roanoke VA to get to NC... just sayin!!

Well....YEAH!!! You didn't think for a minute I'd forget that fact did you? The tough part will be getting Snacktime to leave his Roanoke home to get out to the trail! And we STILL have to ge to James River and the Shennies.

Just so you know.....I'll never miss an opportunity to see you again....or Deer Hunter....or FarmerChef & Clan. You guys made that trip for us so much more special than we'd ever imagined.

Thank you.
    Yes, you are more than welcome to stop by anytime!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    hey teacher, i'm goin' hikin' in the highlands tomorrow so i'll finally see what snacktime put in the magic bag he gave me
    Well I hope you like it LW! He aimed to please. Have a good hike & say hi to those ponies for us!

Images

I've never hiked in NC mountains, but the Standing Indian loop looks pretty nice from what I can tell

I love the idea of Max Patch, as I've been mesmerized by every picture I've ever seen of it. I also want to see Fontana Dam, and maybe even stay at the Hilton. Uncle John's is a destination too. Now, I have no idea yet if any of these places link....as of right now they're just names. Thus, recommendations and research are the order of the day.

Journal Entries

Its all good.

"Most" of NC is fairly well graded.

The balds and towers between Winding Stair Gap and Fontana Dam have some pretty good panoramic views.

Winding Stair to NOC would be about 27 miles, take you over Siler Bald, Copper Ridge, Rocky Knob, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald, the Jump Off (Fun!) , and end at the NOC with a awesome place to stay, watch rafters, and eat good food. Shuttles are no problem either, and the smokies and Fontana dam are closeby to see too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-07-2013 at 20:27.

Start at the Standing Indian Campground and hike up the Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT at Deep Gap. Proceed onward to the NOC with a zero in Franklin if needed. You'll see and experience a little bit of everything on this NC section.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You really have three areas of North Carolina; with the Shutdown only two. South of the Smokies are the Nantalhalas. Smokies. And the Pisgah section north of the Smokies.

The Pisgah section will not be as steep and rugid as the Nantalhalas. And will have more resupply opportunities.

Standing Bear to Hot Springs. Hot Springs to Erwin. Erwin to 19E.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

If it was me, this is what I would do:

Winding Stair Gap to NOC. Aquone Hostel is along this section and can help with slackpacks, if you are interested.
    I would contact Ron Haven to help with shuttling. Personally, I would initially park at the NOC and have Ron bring you back to Franklin/Winding Stair.

Then from NOC, I would drive to Fontana Dam to check that out and stay overnight at the Fontana Hilton.

Then I would drive to Cherokee and go over the Smokies on 441. I would definitely make the turn to Clingman's Dome. There is a nice little loop hike from the end of the parking lot up to the AT then to Clingman's Dome. Takes you through pines and the smell is great. Be sure to walk up to the top of the dome and cross your fingers for a clear day. Perhaps make a stop at Newfound Gap; there will be thru-hikers there. Good place to pass out trail magic.

Then I would drive down through Gatlinburg (I wouldn't stop unless I am bringing some thru-hikers into town which I have done; I almost always take the bypass) and drive east on 321 and head to Standing Bear Farm. I would spend the night then hike to Max Patch (which is 14 miles) where I would camp and have Curtis (from Standing Bear) pick me up the next day.

This itinerary gives you just over 40 miles but with some time in between for resting up.

Regardless of what itinerary you end up with, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
    Trillium

Images

Can someone fill in this ignoramus as to what NOC stands for? I am hoping to do a section hike or loop in the NC mountains as well. We have only done WV and VA in our short time backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Can someone fill in this ignoramus as to what NOC stands for? I am hoping to do a section hike or loop in the NC mountains as well. We have only done WV and VA in our short time backpacking.
    Natahala Outdoor Center
    Trillium

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Natahala Outdoor Center
    http://www.noc.com/
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++