WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Approach Trail

The approach trail is a great workout and a great trail. It is much easier to reach than the 'real' southern terminus, which involves some forest roads which may not accomodate all cars. amicolola state park is beautiful, i cant see why anyone would want to miss this part of GA.

And if you just go by initials, the AT and the AT are the exact same trail!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    No...

It really doesn't matter either way.
    Exactly.

The only important thing (as I think Weary is implying) is to enjoy your hike. Life is too short to do thing merely to put a notch on your belt.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default Didn't I hear...

That the approach trail was being considered to become part of the AT??

Much of the current approach trail used to be part of the AT when the southern terminus was at Mt Oglethorpe.

Someone told you the annual rumor that the approach trail will once again be part of the AT. Not true.

Images

Default Start at the top

We stayed at the Hiker Hostel and had them take us up the forest road. The approach trail does not count in the actual miles of the trail. It's just not necessary. The trail starts at the top of Springer Mt and however you can get up there is just fine. We had to end our hike at Dicks Creek Gap and when we go to the trail we'll start there. We have absolutely no reason and no need to reclimb Sassafras, Blood Mt, and Kelly's Knob again - been there, done that. Plenty more mountains along the way!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I plan on doing the Approach Trail when I attempt the AT. The way I look at it, it is there and I'm not in a hurry. 9ish miles means nothing compared to 2000.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    We stayed at the Hiker Hostel and had them take us up the forest road. The approach trail does not count in the actual miles of the trail. It's just not necessary. ...!
    Hmmm. I always thought that none of the trail was "necessary," just a fun thing to do.

My ride wanted to see the waterfalls so I got dropped off about a mile into the approach trail. We checked in at the state park and took a happy snap at the arch, then drove up to the falls. From there my hiking partner and I started the business of hiking the rest of the approach trail and the AT.
    So, a slightly different version of the previous comments.

For me, the Approach Trail was the hardest part of Georgia (or maybe I just got stronger that week - NAH!)

If you feel as though you'll miss a part of the Trail mistique, do it. If not, not.
    I did it on my section hike. If I get a chance to do a thru and decide to go NOBO, I think I'd skip it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Smile Hike The Approach Trail....

My buddy and I hiked the approach trail back in mid September.. We were doing a short hike up to Neals Gap to shake down some new gear and had left our car at the Visitor Center at Amicalola. We had thought about bypassing the approach trail, but decided that if we were worried about hiking that easy 8 miles, then we didn't need to be out there at all.

It certainly wasn't any harder than any of the other parts of the trail we walked on and it poured rain on us from the minute we stepped under the arch at Amicalola until we got to Black Gap Shelter. We spent the next three days enjoying really nice hiking weather.

Just think, if we hadn't taken the approach trail, we'd have missed all that fun of walking in the cold rain that first day. I say take the approach trail...it's just an afternoon stroll through the woods and gets you pumped up for a great start on Springer!

Journal Entries
    Images

I did start at Amicolola Falls and felt that that approach trail was harder then the actual AT trail. I knew one did not have to as it was not the actual AT but it seems a good tradition. And there is a lot of stuff there at Amicolola Falls (store has maps and etc), to look at and all. Kid of the fun starting right away. I liked starting there, thats my opinion. A friend of mine hiked ahead of me and he saw a bear during the first 3 miles! -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I didn't do the approach trail on my 2004 thru-hike. I am doing it this year. Not because I feel guilty about skipping it last time, I'm just curious to see what it is like.

If you're thru-hiking for the love of walking and being in the outdoors, do the approach trail. If you're doing it for the certificate, the rocker, and the bragging rights, skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    If you're doing it for the certificate, the rocker, and the bragging rights, skip it.
    that would be the majority of hikers

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I plan on enjoying the Approach Trail, don't plan on going that fast. I think I will cover the trail in 4-6 hours.

Then I will march down the trail on the 1st of March.

Kirby

Save your feet, skip the approach trail if you're new out there

You can always drive up and hike into see the pretty waterfalls another time.
    ad astra per aspera

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I plan on enjoying the Approach Trail, don't plan on going that fast. I think I will cover the trail in 4-6 hours.

Then I will march down the trail on the 1st of March.

Kirby
    Kirby, Do the approach trail. You will enjoy doing it and you won't be sorry. What's another 10 miles when you have 2170 to go. Happy trails on your hike. Enjoy each new day and new experience. I did.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Save your feet, skip the approach trail if you're new out there

You can always drive up and hike into see the pretty waterfalls another time.
    I've hiked the approach trail twice and have yet to see the falls, maybe this year I'll check it out. How far is it from that parking lot (the one for the falls - on the approach trail)?

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Kirby, Do the approach trail. You will enjoy doing it and you won't be sorry. What's another 10 miles when you have 2170 to go. Happy trails on your hike. Enjoy each new day and new experience. I did.
    and do all the other side trails too all the way to maine. what's another 1000 miles or so

Images

I just did it again up and back this weekend.

Nice views in Winter.

If you enjoy hiking, by all means hike the Approach.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++