WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Default Government Shutdown and Trails in New York and New Jersey

From the NY/NJ Trail Conference:

All trails in parks managed by the National Park Service are closed during the government shutdown. In our region, this includes the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (DWG) as well as National Historic Sites.

The Appalachian National Scenic Trail is a unit of the National Park Service and is closed to hikers and volunteers in those areas where it is managed or crosses land managed by the NPS. In our area, this officially includes bits of the Trail in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

All other AT sections in New York and New Jersey remain open for hiking and trail maintenance by Trail Conference volunteers.

http://nynjtc.org/news/government-sh...and-new-jersey
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

HA! It would be so funny if I was hiking the AT through NJ and suddenly there was a wood saw horse across the trail in the middle of nowhere with a sign saying 'closed.'
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Am planning to head north from DWG last week of Oct. Saw basically the same message that AK posted, on the MOC website as well. Let's hope our govt. gets the train back on the tracks shortly!

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

For whatever reason the DWGNRA "shutdown" in NJ is not being enforced at all. There were crowds of people hiking on Saturday and Sunday.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

++ New Posts ++