Default Looking for a Backpacking Trip Help near PCB

Hey hiking buddy and logn time friend is at Tyndall for a coupel more months. Normally we would go to Red River Gorge and the AT for 3-4 day trips out of Cincinnati. Well we would both rather hike longer than drive longer since he has limited time off the base.

So since Florida is relatively compared to KY and the AT I am having trouble finding a loop or longer hike with back country camping with hills within 2 hours of PCB. I saw that Hinson Hills has some caverns and other cool this but it's only 4 miles long and I don't think they allow back country camping.

So does anyone have a direction for me to start looking?

Thanks in advance.

If there are two of you, you could self-shuttle so a point-to-point trip might be a consideration. In that case sections through the Apalachicola National Forest and the St Marks National Wildlife refuge would offer some nice scenery as well as established (marked on the map) primitive camping spots. This is only about a 2 hour drive from PCB.

hey Jeeper, IMO the best hiking and backpacking within 2 hours of Panama City Beach is over at Torreya State Park. It's located on SR-12, on the banks of the Appalachicola River, north of Bristol, FL. I go there frequently from PCB to hike. There are 2 "loop" trails at the park, both offer hills and hardwood trees you won't see anywhere else in Florida, it actually reminds me a bit of north Georgia. The main loop trail is approx. 7.5 miles long... it also passes the Gregory House, which is a 2 story colonial house that has been restored, sits on a high bluff overlooking the river.... the trail also passes some old Confederate Army gunpits, where during the Civil War, the Confederates had an artillery battery overlooking the river......there is a 0.5 mile blue blaze connecting trail that will take you over to the 2nd loop trail, the "Torreya Challenge Loop", which is around 5.75 miles long. If you do both loops and the blue blaze, you've hiked approx. 14 miles total, a nice day's hike. There are primitive campsites on both loops for backpacker camping. My favorite primitive campsite there is the cliff site that overlooks the Appalachicola River. Registration is required for overnite backpacker camping, you can register at the R/V campground office in the park. To get to Torreya State Park from Panama City, drive north on US-231 to the intersection with SR-20. Turn and go east on SR-20, you will go thru the town of Blountstown, where there are stores and gas stations and a couple small motels. Then you cross the bridge across the Appalachicola River, where you go into the Eastern Time Zone. Immediately after going over the bridge, SR-20 enters the really small town of Bristol, FL, where there are a couple gas stations and a Subway. Turn left (north) on SR-12 in town (there should be a sign there for Torreya State Park), you go north 15 or so miles til you see a sign for Torreya State Park, where you turn left on Torreya State Park road. Go down that road a few miles, follow the signs, and you'll come to the Park Entrance. From there you can figure out where everything is. Check it out, best hiking and backpacking in the Fla panhandle.

Thanks guys, Praha4 I think we will take your advice and go to Torreya State Park.

forgot to mention, it usually takes me about one hour and 15 minutes to get to Torreya State Park from east Panama City Beach.... potable water is available at several locations in the park, (rest rooms next to the Gregory House; pump at the Park entrance parking area; rest rooms at the public picnic area; and the R/V campgrounds) and there are streams and creeks in the park also. That primitive camping area I liked is actually called the "Bluffs" primitive campsite. You can get a map of the hiking trails (Orange blazed) at the park also. Have a great hike. Here's the link to the Torreya State Park web page, with the hiking trails map http://www.floridastateparks.org/torreya/
    Last edited by Praha4; 10-11-2013 at 10:22.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I think Torreya is a great choice. The Torreya Challenge is a butt kicker. It doesn't seem like it but it's different from the rest of the Florida Trail.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Some friends said they rented yurts at Torreya recently. That might be fun for a change of pace.

Thanks for replies guys, we should be there around the end of next month.

oh yeah, one other thing. Torreya State Park stays pretty busy on weekends in the fall months with local Boy Scout troops and youth groups that camp at the primitive campsites and youth camping areas.... you might want to call the Park Office before your trip to make sure you can get some spots where you want to camp. Week days should not be any problem. I'm probably heading over there this week to do some hiking, we have a good weather forecast here the next 5-6 days, perfect sunny fall weather for a break from the heat!

Can you park at the Picnic Area by the youth camp area? I am trying to setup it up to be about even on the loops hiked in the day. With the Torreya Challenge Primivite Camp we could park at the Park Entrance lot and then go east to the connector trail and south on the Challenge loop. Stay the night at the Torreya Challenge site and then do the northern half the next day.

The Bluffs look like an awesome place to camp but it isn't working out for a 2-day loop hike.

++ New Posts ++