WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post 2014 NoBo Gear List - Halp!

I'm thinking of doing the AT this March or April(2014). I've started putting together a gear list. I have made it as complete as I possibly can with my limited thru-hiking experience(never thru-hiked before). Now, its time to get some community review and input.

I've made it on google docs here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lE&usp=sharing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please note that these weights are claimed weights on the web site, and not measured my self.

Images

First congrats on decision to thru-hike. When are you going to start?
    Seems that you have a lot of clothes that you may not need. Also
    some items are duplicated use items, such as two stoves, pants and kilt. Load your pack
    with what you have listed and try it on, The Ohm base weight is suggested at
    12 lbs. or less. Take your stuff out with you for a weekend to see how it works.
    That's what I have done (twice), went from a base of 16-17 lbs base weight to 11-12 lbs base.
    Also look in the forums to see others gear lists. Others will chime in I am sure.

Levibarry

I would suggest a different pack than the Ohm 2.0 as stated above it is for recommended base weights under 12lbs. Two things I noticed was the redundancy of cooking systems. You have a heavy stove and an alcohol stove as a back up. I suggest picking one. Also, you can get lighter weight rain jackets. The you one have listed weighs more than your shoes.

Removed alcohol stove back-up.
    Removed Space blanket.
    Removed Convertible Pants

Fixed Stuff Sack Weights(was a typo)

Not sure what other Insulation to add, I'm told it can get quiet cold on the AT(has been known to snow...alot)

Rain jacket weight is noted, but I already own this one

I can change the pack if required, but i'm going to hold off and see if I can reduce my over all weight down to Ohm's limit

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice0123 View Post
    I can change the pack if required, but i'm going to hold off and see if I can reduce my over all weight down to Ohm's limit
    The circuit is a great pack that can carry more weight than the ohm 2.0. It has been very comfortable for me with total weight under 30 pounds and still quite good between 30-35.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Now I'm not a thru hiker, but I've put in about 400 miles so far this year and here's my 2 cents. In addition to the above I would leave the pack cover as the trash bag liner you have is all you need. Also forget the pillow, I have tried several and my dry bag with my left over clothes in it with my buff pulled over the outside works best. And if you dry out the wet wipes and then put them in a baggy they weigh very little, just add a little water to one before you use it. You don't need a multi tool or a big fixed blade, the small swiss knife with the blade, scissors, file, toothpick and tweezers is all you need. Also break your guide book into sections and only take a quarter of it with you and get the others mailed to you as you need them. With a little work you should be able to knock a couple of pounds off.

A few comments to consider:
    - 4 oz is a lot for a lighter, x2 for 8 oz. My bic is .8 oz and a few matches in a waterproof case (wally world) as back up would put you at 1.5 oz total
    - Consider breaking up the AWOL guide into sections and receiving each section in a mail drop as needed
    - Instead of 3 backup cell phone batteries for 12 oz, consider replacing your existing battery for one double or triple capacity battery. You'll get similar capacity for much less weight
    - As others said, the back country boiler at 23 oz is a lot of weight; ust looked at the link...capacity is 23 oz but weight is 8oz; you can still get a TI pot for half that weight
    - if you haven't already, poles should be totaled separately as they aren't part of the weight your pack needs to carry
    - Camp shoes seem to be a luxury item at 1/2 pound; reconsidered whether you feel they're necessary
    - As others have said, rain jacket weight could be cut down

Just my 2 cents to consider. Congrats on your decision and wish you the best for a successful trek.

I don't use my Ohm for more than 20 lbs total weight. Catalyst would be a better choice.

++ New Posts ++