WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Becoming Odyssa

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    One of the best things about her books is their honesty. Honesty means not sugar-coating thoughts and feelings--not pretending that all hikers are perfect, and that every day is sunny. Did you notice the places in which she takes herself to task for the way she handled her side of certain interactions with other hikers and people she ran into?

In Becoming Odyssa she is telling a coming-of-age story, with all the bumps in the road that entails. As a well-brought-up young southern woman who has led a sheltered and privileged existence, many of the bumps catch her by surprise. The mere existence of people who play by different rules than her family and friends catches her by surprise.

Are a lot of her problems self-inflicted? Of course they are. That's part of the learning process. As I said, I love her honesty about it.
    Yes. JPD's integrity and overall character shines through her public speaking engagements, writings, in person, and in her actions. I agree with Marta. I'm either the most wrong I ever been in my life or she's a person firmly at the helm of her ship. Despite what her intent may have been in her words on pg166 in Becoming Odyssa she is a person who's genuinely honest with herself and others. If she believes she said something degrading about other hikers and someone calls it out she'll admit it and amend her behavior or already has. JPD knows how to self right her ship and keep it on course. Two thumbs up, regardless of speed hiking records, when it comes to JPD. Class act!

Images

Odyssa is on a journey. Not just from Springer to Katahdin, but in her own life as well. Odyssa, like her namesake Odysseus, is changing from a privileged, over confident, and inflexible girl (in her case), to somebody that is willing to learn self-restraint and humility. She is also learning to accept others as they are.
    The book is not about her disdain for weekenders or section-hikers. It is about her emotional journey.
    Definitely read the book Slowbo. I just have a few pages left, and I am ordering her newest book, Called Again right now. I have enjoyed many of the AT books, but Becoming Odyssa is my new favorite. Sorry AWOL…

Default Becoming Odyssa - Biggest Regret

From the horse's mouth ; )
    http://blueridgehikingco.com/becomin...iggest-regret/

Or you can read it here:

I am very proud of my book, Becoming Odyssa. But I am NOT proud of everything I did in Becoming Odyssa. Perhaps, the thing that I value most about the book is that it is a honest, authentic retelling of my first thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail. I share the good, bad, and ugly – even when I’m the one being ugly.

I make no efforts to hide the fact that I was an entitled wanna be thru-hiker when I started. And yes, some of my superiority complex had to do with poor trail etiquette practiced by section hikers that I encountered early on in my journey. But that is not an excuse! Thankfully, my sense of self-importance finally went away. And, it only took 1,000 miles ; )
    I remember very clearly, mid-way through the hike, arriving at a shelter just south of Harpers Ferry and meeting the most wonderful weekend hikers there. We all slept in the lean-to together. We were also joined by a few thru-hikers who decided to party and smoke pot two feet away from the pre-teen girl who was spending her first night on the trail…
    WHAT?! Thru-hikers could be so inconsiderate!!!
    That’s what I thought and that is what I expressed in my book.
    The bigger lesson, for me, was that it was never fair to characterize an entire group based on the actions of one or two individuals. At that point I no longer felt that I owned the trail. I realized that I was very fortunate to have 4-6 months to hike the trail. Many section and day hikers would be thru-hikers if they didn’t have commitments at home. And it is arguably harder, and certainly more expensive, to complete the trail over several years – as opposed to several months. I also find that section hikers have a better memory of the trail than most thru-hikers. They savor every bite as opposed to scarfing it all down at once.
    When I wrote, Becoming Odyssa, my editor said it was important for me to let the reader draw conclusions and not always state exactly how I felt or how I changed. But my biggest regret concerning the book, is that many section and weekend hikers finish reading it and still feel put-down by the language that I used and the feelings I expressed in the first half of the memoir. It was obviously not clear that my thoughts and impressions of other hikers changed the farther down the trail I traveled.
    I speak and write for a living, so I am going to make mistakes and I am going to say things that I regret. I apologize for being a snob when I started the trail, and I apologize for not making it clear in Becoming Odyssathat the trail is there for EVERYONE at EVERY phase of life.
    By the way, I now that I have an 11-month old daughter, and I am 300 miles into my A.T. section hike.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Congrats on your daughter...I saw pictures of her when you met the speed hiker at Springer. I read your book and enjoyed it, and yes, I was one who was a little put out by the assumption. Probably I was more hurt than anything....as would be most who feel they are slighted through no fault of their own. I think that by this thread you can tell though that all the hurts were temporary and coupled with the understanding of your youth at the time and the growth you achieved at the end. It's a lovely thing for you to apologize, but not really necessary. Some will understand, some won't. The plight of the author is that once the work is published, it is no longer yours, but the property and fodder of your audience. You cannot explain and have your explanations accepted really, since each reader takes the story as their own and will be unwilling to change their perception for your explanation. Such is the public life.

Congratulations on all you achievements, and I hope the opportunity presents itself some day for my grandson and I to meet you. Your are legend; you are the AT.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

WOW, how refreshing to meet and hear from people like you who are spiraling upwards. Nothing but the greatest of respect for you Jen aside from the records. You're one of the most genuine unpretentious people I've ever met, seen, or read. What a sense of humility you have that I find rare in today's society. You're so willing to be raw to know yourself - the good, bad, and ugly - yet be yourself. You're an excellent judge of your character admitting the life journey you are on sometimes requires you to examine your behavior and thoughts and amend for the better. You're definitely a life long learner; I so enjoy how that comes out in the way you express yourself particularly in your writing. BTW, really enjoyed how you wrote about the finding of the black bag, what you did with it, and what the eventual outcome was. You had me laughing and agreeing with you at the same time. You're a class act young lady even with the bad, ugly, questionable, frailties, and mistakes! Very honest post! It amply demonstrates your character in willing to learn from your past.

Images

yeah, that was really cool.

Thank you for your writing and honesty.

bill bryson wrote honestly too

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    bill bryson wrote honestly too
    Yes he did! I love his stuff. Have you read the Lightningbolt kid?

Is your point to outline the difference of reception of the two authors, LW? I don't understand why there is a difference, or such negative feelings toward Bryson...but there is and who can control reception? But I love his stuff...he makes me laugh.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Yes he did! I love his stuff. Have you read the Lightningbolt kid?

Is your point to outline the difference of reception of the two authors, LW? I don't understand why there is a difference, or such negative feelings toward Bryson...but there is and who can control reception? But I love his stuff...he makes me laugh.
    yes. bryson gets a bad rap

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    pg. 166; comments about the encounter at Manassas Gap Shelter with 2 disagreeable section hikers. JPD says: "It seemed to me that, as a thru-hiker, I should be able to pull rank over a weekender or section hiker. But I was discovering that the weekenders and section-hikers thought they were just as important as me, if not more so." A generalization like this about "section hikers" is what gave me some heartburn.
    Pull rank? Hah. Good luck with that.

Sent from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    Odyssa is on a journey. Not just from Springer to Katahdin, but in her own life as well. Odyssa, like her namesake Odysseus, is changing from a ...., to somebody that is willing to learn self-restraint and humility. She is also learning to accept others as they are.
    The book is not about her disdain for weekenders or section-hikers. It is about her emotional(LIFE) journey.
    Definitely read the book Slowbo. I just have a few pages left, and I am ordering her newest book, Called Again right now. I have enjoyed many of the AT books, but Becoming Odyssa is my new favorite.…
    Well said!

I heard Jen say, "I like the person who finished the AT much better than the person who started the path." Couldn't have said it any better myself for myself! That's what introspection, humility, and hiking as the fertile ground can do. It's one big motive why I keep long distance hiking - because I know I need to keep moving forward in my life. Hiking(Thru-hiking) IS SO MUCH MORE THAN HIKING.

Journal Entries

People have all kinds of thoughts.
    Your thoughts dont define you, your actions do.

Im glad it was written as it was, honestly. Ive read others that refer to "F__ing section hikers". Im glad they are written that way as well.
    What makes a book good, is when it lets you into the head of the writer.

Thru-hikers arent the only ones who sometimes feel superior, plenty of section hikers wish that people that walk in from roads shouldnt be allowed to use shelters, and plenty of basically car-campers think that no one should be there but the people that got there first.

Other people dont like people with dogs on the trail, and some dont like people with guns on the trail.

And darn near everyone wishes that large groups like scouts, college group trips, etc would just stay the heck off the trail.

Look in the mirror before you fault anyone. Just like ducks, we all prefer to mingle with our own kind.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-20-2013 at 16:12.

Answer to post #4 - This is not taught at the Appalachian Trail Institute (as implied by the poster). Jennifer is one of the most important human resources that the AT will have from the publishing of Becoming Odyssa to hopefully around 2050. She gives me hope. In my opinion, her story is the one that should be promoted and shared by a major film.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was fortunate enough to see JPD give a talk about her experiences. I saw a person who loves natures, is gracious about sharing the trail and loves to talk about her journey.

I'd hate to be judged by statements I made at 23. I know, for me, the AT was not only a journey about following the white blazes but also an inner transformation. I matured on the trail.

Seems JPD, and others, mature on the trail too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    Answer to post #4 - This is not taught at the Appalachian Trail Institute (as implied by the poster). Jennifer is one of the most important human resources that the AT will have from the publishing of Becoming Odyssa to hopefully around 2050. She gives me hope. In my opinion, her story is the one that should be promoted and shared by a major film.
    100% agree Warren. I think her journey both as a hiker and in life is the story I would most enjoy seeing on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    100% agree Warren. I think her journey both as a hiker and in life is the story I would most enjoy seeing on the big screen.

Me too. And I think Jessica Biel would do a great job playing her!
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I think her story has so much more to offer than say Brysons including appealing to a wider range of an audience. As she becomes increasingly more popular amongst the broader spectrum of audiences including females and non hikers I think that will be considered. I would certainly recommend her story and books to those who never have any intention of hiking.

Section Hiker

Praha4, you might also like both books by The Barefoot Sisters if you haven't already read them (Southbound; Walking Home--in that order!). I enjoyed Odyssa but I am enjoying the Sisters more.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++