WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The best breakfast ever!

Well maybe not- you let me know. Full info in the PDF- cliff notes below to let you know what you're opening up.
    Just Bill’s Trail Ready Oatmeal-
    Calories per ounce- 141 Total calories- 705 Serving size-142.5 grams (five ounces)
    Total Volume per serving- about 1.25 cups. Cook time in the field: Hot- 3-7 minutes Cold- 15 min.
    Just Bill's Trail Ready Oatmeal.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Actually I think I messed up, technically this is the second best. The best is served in the café and includes bacon, marble rye toast, butter, jelly, and Via.

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. I will have to give it a try.

Nice recipe. I'm still stuck on shakes for breakfast as I like to wake up a be walking ten minutes later. Put it all in my gatorade bottle shake it up and go. Drink over the next hour.

Nestles Nido
    Carnation Instant Breakfast
    Freeze dried fruit pulverized
    Pulverized nuts

Maybe I will add some oats for s&g

bacon, eggs and a fried bagel is what i make on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    bacon, eggs and a fried bagel is what i make on the trail
    Do you fry the bagel in bacon grease?- because that would officially make you official- officially speaking.

Lox with all the fixin's, that is the best breakfast on the trail.

All Pop Tarts and no oats make Jack a dull boy. all pop tarts and no oats make jack a dull boy. allpoptartsandnooatsmakejackadullboy. Anyway you get it, looks tasty Bill.

For b-fast, a 390 cal Pro Bar or 360 cal Bobo's Oat Bar works when I want to get up and be hiking in under 20 mins. When on a COLD hike I mix it up more by appreciating something warm on ocassion like some oatmeal with hemp seed, coconut flakes or powder, nuts, and a bit of dried fruit(dried mango, blueberries, and strawberries are delish esppecially with the dried coocnut milk). Doctored up Amaranthe and millet work well for a quick hot b-fast too.

I practically lived on Probars during my Long Trail thru hike last summer. Had one every two hours in between breakfast and dinner.

Bars make me want to puke. We are crossing threads here, but they remind me of rectally produced whey protein shakes after awhile.

See post 6 for shake reference. I do like snickers bars.

I look for the Pro Bars and Bobo's Oat Bars when on sale though as it can be pricey just gnoshing on those bars all the time on a long distance hike. Sorry JustBill to the best of my knowledge either company doesn't make a bacon, butter, and grease version.

In all serious seriousness- one of the reasons I posted the recipe is that you can eat it cold. Just dump it in a Ziploc- wait fifteen or twenty and suck it down. I often eat it cold for lunch. If you double the water, 1 full cup, and let it sit for 25 minutes it gets mushy enough that it turns into a drinkable shake. You have to chew it obviously, but it is quite easy to eat while walking at that consistency.

You'd need to eat more bars than my jaw can comfortably process to find 700 calories for breakfast.

Rasty- you could toss some of these oats in a spice mill (a food snob's way of saying a coffee grinder) and add them to your shake to bulk it up. Snickers clearly transcend the bar category- although Baby Ruth remains the best bar to drop into a public pool when you need more room to swim.

Since we're talkin food I have two trail food books I would like to gift to someone. - Backpack Gourmet by Linda Yaffe and Simple Foods for the Pack by Axcell, Kath, and Cooke. PM if interested I'' get them out to you if you provide your contact info.

A fried apple pie (Krispy Kream brand) and a hard boiled egg when I section hike. Also, must have a large cup of coffee (with creamer and sugar). Always look forward to breakfast.

I would recommend the Logan Bead recipe from sectionhiker.com; It is very good. I eat it for breakfast a lot of mornings even when i am not hiking. It also freezes well.

THanks JB.. I printed it off.. looks excellent! :>)

That BabY Ruth bar in the pool?? I got that "word picture". Ha ha! Where does this stuff come from,JB?? I love it!! I can never read a post of urs without smiling/laughing. You're the man, JB. Thanks again for sharing!!

Oatmeal = Fail

In Yellowstone we brought in a dozen fresh eggs, shredded cheese, bacon bits, salsa, and I can't remember what else. Each one of us cracked two eggs into a zip lock, added in the cheese, bacon bits, etc and then boiled the bag until the eggs were cooked and added in the salsa. That was my best trail breakfast ever.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++