WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

:banana Best/Most Useful/Coolest Backping Tips That You Learned??

What are some things that you have learned or picked up on making the backcountry more enjoyable? Some cool little trips that are useful, convenient, etc.

Thanks!

Backpacking, I meant!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

But I learned so many backPING tips!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

My proofreading skills were exhausted on Monday (lots of homework).

Schedule my off time like I schedule work. Put trips on the calendar every month or 6 weeks and GO! Far too people go on one 2-3 day trip every year or two. You can only enjoy the back-country if you get yourself to it.

I've also learned that "enjoyment", while backpacking, is subjective and relative. And the phrase, "Your mileage may vary" is both literal and figurative when talking backing.

The adage "Hike Your Own Hike" could not be more simple, nor more true. Don't let someone else frame what is successful, relaxing, effective, or any other superlative. Every person has their own pace, goals, and definition of achievement.

Personally, as an infantry vet, scout, and generally "loaded for bear" sort of guy, the notion to lighten up, carry less, risk not having backups for my backups was totally foreign - the lighter I go the more I enjoy the trip, though - the lesson is learned, but the mastery of it is a work in progress for me.

Images

weather forecast in the mountains: partly something, chance of anything.
    this forecast never changes

Journal Entries

Drink the water along the way, make it safe and also play it safe (don't run out), but if hiking along a good stream for the next 10 miles no need to carry water at all. It's just not about light weight, but about taking it in, actually tasting your environment as you travel, and yes there is a vast difference in water taste and stopping by a stream is usually a very wonderful place to stop for a moment.

* We all know that last part is true, that water is a great place to stop for a bit because all the stinging and biting insects seem to hang out there too too, and since they live there they must know that.

Think about why you're in the backcountry. Is it to crank out miles, or to enjoy the setting? Even during my thru hike, when mileage was important, I tried to be present and immerse myself in the scenery - to really notice - not just put my head down and hike. There's so much beauty to appreciate!

So, along those lines, I prefer trips with low mileage. I like to take my time and feel like I have the luxury of stopping often to soak in the views. I also hike moderately lightly - I can bring 7 days of food and keep my pack under 30 pounds, and that's with plenty of layers because I don't like to be cold. I also really enjoy hiking super early or super late in the day - the light is gorgeous and there's usually more wildlife. I prefer to hop on the trail and get going versus stay in camp and make a big complicated breakfast. That said, one of my favorite ways to enjoy the backcountry is with a zero day in the woods, and then breakfast can be as long as it wants. Nowhere to go, just the beauty of the place.

I have also enjoyed some 20 plus mile days in the backcountry, but my favorite days are when I can really take my time, go slow, and stop to look at or photograph every flower, red eft, mushroom, vista, and pretty creek or waterfall that I come across.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike and enjoy..nothing else matters. Cut all your ties to the real world.
    Grampie-N->2001

After the hiking is over, and you're headed back home on a bus, train etc. and you ALREADY miss the trail ..... you'll know you're doing it right!

Drink hot jello

Images

not to take myself too seriously, it's just walking.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I read this thread looking for tips-like cut toothbrush in half-packaging meals...........But got nothing.

Images

cut toothbrush in half

An IMUSA 12cm pot w/lid does everything I need of a cook kit.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Best: and I learned this one early on = Slow down on the big up's and get there actually faster

Most Useful (in a drought) = heading down from a high dry spring to find water

Coolest: Listening and asking! I would have missed a bunch of stuff if I had not known it was up off the trail where I had not yet known to look or taken a little side trip.

*Don't skimp on your sleeping system just to save a few ounces. A crappy night's sleep makes for a crappy day of hiking.
    *Don't pack your first aid kit like you're headed into battle: Anything you can't easily manage with bandaids, superglue or moleskin, you'll need to hike out to get taken care of, anyway.
    *Unless you're doing some serious mountaineering, you really don't need heavy-duty hiking boots.
    *Don't underestimate the importance of hydration -- if you're too focused on hiking to stop and take a swig from your water bottle every so often, get a hydration pack.
    *Don't underestimate the importance of nutrition and realize that what works for you in your everyday life may not suffice on the trail (case in point: I tried to maintain a low-carb plan on long hikes and kept bonking)
    *Test the food you'll be cooking and eating BEFORE you take it out on the trail -- especially prepackaged backpacking meals -- so you don't end up stuck in the woods with a pack full of food you don't like to eat.
    *You're going to get stinky; resistance is futile.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Thanks all!

However, I was looking for tips that aren't so obvious. Again, thanks I really do appreciate it. All is welcome though.

^^^ Ignore my ******* comment. I like all of them so far!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++