WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's your solution to save your device from dying?

We all have devices with batteries, and they all eventually run out. What's your solution to save your device from dying?
    Last edited by Alligator; 10-18-2013 at 16:48. Reason: Shill post

Quote Originally Posted by wheelpell View Post
    We all have devices with batteries
    1 device. a headlamp. i ain't got no iphone thingy

Images

I keep it turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I keep it turned off.
    same......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1806237
    We all have devices with batteries
    1 device. a headlamp. i ain't got no iphone thingy
    you are so not one of the cool kids

I have a power pack as well, but it is really only for my mp3 player since I listen all day. The phone mostly stays in airplane mode. I don't turn it off because it is my camera and also if the power button gets pressed in my rucksack then it turn on and tries to pick up a signal draining the battery. I also carry a spare battery for the phone (the inability to swap batteries is another reason to not use an iPhone).

Images

Extra batteries.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

About a 50,000 mah New Trent battery pack got my iPhone and Steripen (usb rechargeable model) through the thru without concern for power, also recharging Splash's 'dumb'phone on occasion, the iPhone was in airplane mode till I needed a signal.

In and around NY I had a strong enough signal to listen to streaming music while hiking without killing the iPhone battery.

Longest stretch between recharges 5 days for the 100 MW, and still had I estimate 40-60% remaining in the battery pack. I was not worried or close to running out of power.

Along with the above I carried a wall charger that had 2 USB ports and a usb cable that spilt into 2 connections (battery pack mini USB, steripen microUSB), and the iPhone connector, so I could recharge all 3 at once.

+1 on starchilds comment. exactly what my wife and I do and plan on doing on our thru next summer.

We all have devices with batteries, and they all eventually run out. I have been using a RAVPower 14000mAh to save my iPhone, galaxy tab, MP3 player from dying. It works great and not to mention it's cheap on Amazon. What's your solution to save your device from dying?

Use airplane mode.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I keep it turned off.
    +1. That is part of why I hike- to lose contact with the rat race.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I run my smartphone in airplane mode. If it dies, I do without unless I need to send a text (this includes routine texts to my wife). When I need to send a text after my phone goes kaput, I recharge with a Minty Boost.

On the trail, the smartphone is typically a toy GPS, running Backcountry Navigator and Peakfinder. Once in a while I'll use the camera or have a book on it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Bushnell solar wrap mini.

Not hating or anything, but I really want to know: How on earth can you have a true wilderness experience if you're listening to music all day and journaling/blogging all night? It's like trying to watch Fox News while having sex; why spoil the purity of the moment with the trappings of modern society?
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Poedog View Post
    Not hating or anything, but I really want to know: How on earth can you have a true wilderness experience if you're listening to music all day and journaling/blogging all night? It's like trying to watch Fox News while having sex; why spoil the purity of the moment with the trappings of modern society?
    Its called HYOH. Look into it. The OP was looking for an answer to his question not a philosophical retort.

You can have sex without Fox News on? That's not what Glenn Beck told me...

'True wilderness experience' is tough to define. Some would say you can't have shoes on, or other such silly designations. I think yours is a little less silly, but still pretty arbitrary.

Ok, I should have said, "How can you have a quality wilderness experience if...." I know, I know, everyone hyoy and so on. How can you comprehend this experience if your mind thinks your at Starbucks?
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

I'm not out there to have a wilderness experience. I'm out there for the challenge, to have unique experiences, and to meet interesting people. The AT is not even wilderness either, it is a hiker superhighway.

Also if you have any kind of modern gear then you are bringing technology out into the woods and you can't have a 'true wilderness experience' either. I mean my sleeping bag has just as much tech put into it as my mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Its called HYOH. Look into it. The OP was looking for an answer to his question not a philosophical retort.
    Ok. Then let me say this. Don't carry all of those gadgets that weigh you down, will probably break/get wet, and ultimately just distract you from the amazing place you chose to go and 'get away from it all'.
    HYOH....laugh out loud. If I never heard that phrase used again it would be too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    I'm not out there to have a wilderness experience. I'm out there for the challenge, to have unique experiences, and to meet interesting people. The AT is not even wilderness either, it is a hiker superhighway.

Also if you have any kind of modern gear then you are bringing technology out into the woods and you can't have a 'true wilderness experience' either. I mean my sleeping bag has just as much tech put into it as my mp3 player.
    You, my friend, are hilarious! Please tell me this entire post is a joke...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++