Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1

    Default beer, and other intoxicating beverages

    i'd like a list of not to be missed beers and regional potables along the trail. i'll start off with Georgia, sweetwater and terrapin beers, Dawsonville moonshine, and muscadine wine . 13 states to go, whacyall got folks? also, bars, taverns, brewpubs, etc

  2. #2
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Yards & Yungling
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  3. #3
    Registered User Biggie Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-18-2009
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    248
    Images
    29

    Default

    Bryson City, NC -- http://www.nantahalabrewing.com
    Biggie

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-09-2012
    Location
    Soddy Daisy, TN
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Foothills Brewing in Winston Salem: Hoppyum
    French Broad in Asheville: Ryehopper
    Oskar Blues in Brevard: Dale's Pale Ale and Deviant Dales
    Highland Brewing in Asheville: Black Mocha Stout

  5. #5
    Registered User Just Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-06-2013
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,772

    Default

    Ashland had too many good beers to list. I am still unsure why it costs me more to buy a beer (even in town) along the southern AT than it does in Downtown Chicago- but other than that- many fine options.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2012
    Location
    Taghkanic, New York, United States
    Posts
    3,095
    Journal Entries
    11

    Default

    Long Trail Ale Brewery in (around) Killington VT.

  7. #7
    Registered User quasarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-24-2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    35
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    Foothills Brewing in Winston Salem: Hoppyum
    French Broad in Asheville: Ryehopper
    Oskar Blues in Brevard: Dale's Pale Ale and Deviant Dales
    Highland Brewing in Asheville: Black Mocha Stout
    YES!! Hoppyum is one of my favorite beers, and Dale's Pale Ale is definitely in the top 10. Excellent suggestions. Western NC is a great beer region, especially for a hop-head like myself!!



    But I have found that buying IPAs from a microbrewery can be very risky. I think this type of beer must be hard to get right, because I am often disappointed when I try a new IPA. (for example, the aforementioned Highland Brewing makes a great stout and pale ale, but I think their IPA is not good at all) Has anybody else noticed this? To be safe I will often get a Pale Ale if I don't know the brand.

  8. #8
    Registered User Theosus's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-22-2011
    Location
    Florence, South Carolina, United States
    Age
    48
    Posts
    711
    Images
    1

    Default

    never liked beer. Now 'shine is decent, and I make my own muscadine wine... but the bottles are a bit heavy to pack in.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    YES!! Hoppyum is one of my favorite beers, and Dale's Pale Ale is definitely in the top 10. Excellent suggestions. Western NC is a great beer region, especially for a hop-head like myself!!



    But I have found that buying IPAs from a microbrewery can be very risky. I think this type of beer must be hard to get right, because I am often disappointed when I try a new IPA. (for example, the aforementioned Highland Brewing makes a great stout and pale ale, but I think their IPA is not good at all) Has anybody else noticed this? To be safe I will often get a Pale Ale if I don't know the brand.
    Dogfish head 60 minute IPA

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-30-2013
    Location
    in zi mountains
    Age
    41
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Devils Backbone out of Rockbridge County, Va. Eight Point IPA. It's no Pliney or Dubhe (or Dogfish), but it's very, very decent.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

  11. #11

    Default

    From the Rte 30 crossing near Caledonia SP, you have Appalachian Brewing Co. in one direction (Gettysburg) and Roy Pitz in the other (Chambersburg). Both have good microbrews.

  12. #12

    Default

    Of course I am going to weigh in with muscadine wine the nectar of the South

  13. #13
    Registered User quasarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-24-2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    35
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Dogfish head 60 minute IPA
    YES!! I also love the Dogfish 60 minute, as well as the more elusive 90 minute. I heard there is a 120 minute, but I have never seen it with my own eyes. This seems to be the Bigfoot of beer, like "a friend of a friend saw it in Guilford County one time!"

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Of course I am going to weigh in with muscadine wine the nectar of the South
    Definitely have to agree with this. Nothing like a nice fine scuppernong, right Rasty. On another note we were just up in the Whites and asked about a local brew and were more than once directed to Tuckermans. It was really good. Don't know anything about where it's brewed. Maybe someone else can enlighten on that.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    YES!! I also love the Dogfish 60 minute, as well as the more elusive 90 minute. I heard there is a 120 minute, but I have never seen it with my own eyes. This seems to be the Bigfoot of beer, like "a friend of a friend saw it in Guilford County one time!"
    I haven't found 90 minute to be elusive. They have it at my grocery store and at the gas station down the street from me. I have never seen 60 or 120.

  16. #16

    Default

    Hmm a new business Idea. Hiking for beer. I like it!


    Sent from somewhere.

  17. #17

    Default

    You can not beat good 'ole NC's Junior Johnson's Apple Pie Moonshine. I also like to frequent Foothills Brewery on my monthly visits to Winston-Salem! I'm currently on my send Yuengling Lager for the night. ( I lived for a brief moment in time near Pottsville PA, where Yuengling is Made. Never heard of it until then. Happy weekend ya'll ...........

  18. #18

    Default

    Get your growler filled at Blue Lab Brewing Co. in Lexington, VA. Great local IPA. Can't get it at Wally World or anywhere else. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy!
    Last edited by aficion; 10-19-2013 at 21:18.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonecampn View Post
    You can not beat good 'ole NC's Junior Johnson's Apple Pie Moonshine. I also like to frequent Foothills Brewery on my monthly visits to Winston-Salem! I'm currently on my send Yuengling Lager for the night. ( I lived for a brief moment in time near Pottsville PA, where Yuengling is Made. Never heard of it until then. Happy weekend ya'll ...........
    Just had peach moonshine from just outside the Franklin, NC area a few weeks back that was seriously good also. Happy weekend to yu'ins too.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Just had peach moonshine from just outside the Franklin, NC area a few weeks back that was seriously good also. Happy weekend to yu'ins too.
    I can hardly stand any kind of liquor but Jr's Apple Pie is the closest to candy you can get! " as far a moonshine/liquor goes" I like peaches too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •