WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear canister pack

Any thoughts on a larger pack like 70 liters that will fit abear canister horizontally? Was thinking about a catalist by ula but not sure the pack is also meant for colder temps so I can carry more gear.

I have used my ULA Circuit (Circuit: 4200ci, Catalyst: 4600ci) on winter hikes before and have had no issues with it. Everyone packs differently and depending on the gear that you are carrying I'm sure this will determine space for a bear canister. I can tell you though that I can fit a bear canister in horizontally in my Circuit.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

The largest of the GoLite Jams might satisfy that request. I've a Quest (the older version of GoLite's 70+ liter pack) and I can fit my BearVault 500 into it without any problems.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

My Osprey Volt fits the smaller BV either horizontally or verically just fine.

Journal Entries
    Images

My BV450 worked great in my Go-lite Jam medium. In a BV450 though you'll be hard pressed to get 6 days worth of food in it so a lot depends on your daily mileage & resupply. This was posted in "general" do you have a certain trail in mind? If say you're thinking if the JMT - it takes many folks 6+ days to get from MTR to Whitney
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I rock the ULA Catalyst. At only 48oz, it can fit the biggest of bear canisters and is super comfortable.

++ New Posts ++