WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Entitlement

Good post Just Bill

It was a nice essay written in sincerity. Isn't that what WB is all about? I also enjoy LW comments. As a casual reader and a hiker I wish more would comment on the thought out content of an article rather then say much repeated things like "it's just walkin". Thanks for sharing Just Bill, I greatly appreciate your view.

Images

"cocky bastard full of optimism" - big difference between cocky because you can and cocky because you're a punk who thinks everyone owes you respect for being you.

Usually, I don't read the long posts. Not well written, jump all over, not aligned with my thinking, but I read this one all the way through, twice.

Very nice, very eloquent. Lots of wisdom, even for those who think they are above the rest.

Thanks for sharing.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I think it's more a question of outdoorsman 1st thru hiker second or vice a versa. More experience the less entitlement issues. I met quite a few older hikers on the trail this year that had the same entitlement issues as many of the younger folks
    What! (for better choice of words) No diet coke!
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Bravo, Just Bill!

That essay was written in the peculiar mix of confidence and humility that is achieved only by those who are masters of their arts. Mastery is achieved only by the journeyman's making every mistake that there is. It cannot be sought: if you try, it will elude you. It cannot be seized: if you grasp it, it will reject you. Rather, it is achieved by doing, and becoming, and being, until one day, long after you have forgotten that you ever wished to become a master, you see in the looks of the world that the mantle of mastery has lain about your shoulders unnoticed for some time.

And, of course, mastery of an art is merely a license to make bigger mistakes - mistakes so big that nobody has made them before.

Anyway, my hat's off to you!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

"Should" is a reviled word for many of us, but Just Bill's post is worthy of being on a required list for those who haven't figured out what he is saying on their own. Thanks, Bill. You just earned an eager reader of whatever you post. Keep it up whenever you have something bugging you;
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

Good post..thanks for sharein g yout thoughts.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    much too long to read. you gotta be pithy.
    yar.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    yar.......
    Sorry - you missed it.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

and you're only 35. you don't know about the "old days"
    Whoops, admitted you read it.

RS- That's a pretty sad tale.
    HB- you're supposed to let them figure it out for themselves.
    Another Kevin- Our recent private conversations were a big inspiration in this post. On one hand I was reading some of the threads, on the other I was talking with you. The vast gulf between the two was bugging me.
    A fine quote from Kevin in one of those private messages to me- "Trails are suggestions"

I thought this was going to be about Social Security and got tricked into reading JB's well written essay.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Y'know, Just Bill, in all of my years of reading posts on WB, I do not recall any post that engendered so much applause.
    If you are a member of ATC, I hope you will add of little more detail to some points and submit it for publication in their magazine. Not all members of ATC are members of Whiteblaze.net. Applause, applause, applause!
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

The separation of age using terms such as "crusty old timers" and "young punks" is too divisive. The are old punks and crusty young folk. It's about attitude, how one was raised, and experience in the outdoors. I work in a job that has an age demographic spanning from 18-50 years old. I've witnessed hard charging, humble, young adults strive to be the best. I've also witnessed senior employees act like they were owed something who did nothing but complain. The same translates into the outdoor experience. Feeling a sense of entitlement spans generations and starts getting defined with the baby boomers. In my experiences of being outdoors I've come to realize that age isn't always a deciding factor. There's family values, environment, and education. You can still be "old school" without going through the initiation of carrying an external framepack 1/3 your bodyweight. It's a mindset and value system for the outdoors that defines "old school".

much too long to read. you gotta be pithy.
    Maybe JB can issue an audio version....
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I mean when you get up at 9:00
    Socks, where ya been hiding at? I found a great pair of camp shoes for you.

Socks camp shoes big.jpg

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I met quite a few older hikers on the trail this year that had the same entitlement issues as many of the younger folks
    Well yea, my needs come first, damn it! And don't you forget it
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well yea, my needs come first, damn it! And don't you forget it
    That's right, and if you're gonna do trail magic make sure it's diet coke and not pepsi. geez.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote "I can wipe the trail with your ass if I want to. Not because I’m better, but because I’m an outdoorsman; and many of you aren’t."

Full of humor, bragging, and self description.

But well written, wish I could write that well

Quite frankly, I noticed the arrogance, cockiness, and ignorance in our PMs about your LT speed hike preparation but you sound like you're willing to learn and continue to learn. I know I've learned a lot from you - some fresh perspectives - ways of seeing things through your eyes that I was ignorant of. The lessons can come from anywhere and they can occur unexpectedly and they never stop IF we have the character, humility, and maturity that's needed. You're demonstrating that awareness JB. We are all evolving as people and as hikers. I think you're aware of that. Welcome. I appreciate the post and you as the colorful character that is Just Bill. Good to have you here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++