WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LifeStraw -- Your thoughts?

So this thing is really, really awesome, and, of course, I immediately thought of possible trail-application of this device once it's available. Small, light, easy access... In a larger demographical use, though, it could be one of the greatest inventions of the century:

link:
    www.engadget.com/entry/1234000890054889/

and another story:
    www.gizmag.com/go/4418/1/

In a nutshell:
    "A device about the size of a large pen or drinking straw, the LifeStraw is a complete water purification kit that draws its power from the person sucking down the water."

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

thats pretty amazing. wonder how much it weighs...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I think Jimmy Carter has been spreading a simplified version of this device for years. Basically a little straw you could put on a neck lanyard. It's part of his [wildly successful] campaign to eliminate guinea worm. I hope to see it make an even bigger splash. Ya gotta drink.

-Mark

Images

yeah, that'd be great for distributing... I'd like to try one... canoeing would be a lot of fun with one of those... take a break, rest in the stream and suck away... that or I wonder if you would be able to suck enough if you were in the canoe and dropped a silicone tube down into the water while you floated?

I think it would be great in combinaion with aqua mira or similar purification device. You could use the straw to camel up and then use the purifiers to clean the water in the camel bak so you dont have to worry about the wait. This system would end up weighing much less then any pump (5-7 ounces is my estimate). Maybe this tech could be incorporated into a gravity filter??

Registered User Mountain Hippie's Avatar
    Images

The homesite of http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/...0a832a0&slg=en does not have the info page up yet but there is more info at http://www.medgadget.com/archives/20...lifestraw.html Down toward the bottom of the article it gives a brief discription of what it does not kill. If I understand it correctly the lifestraw is basically an iodine straw. The biggest advantage seems to be that it works as quickly as you can draw water through it. If iodine is your current method of choice, the lifestraw may be a good addition to your treatment program when it becomes availible.
    I have found no info on the weight.
    "Remember, Only You Can Prevent Forum Fires" - Smokey the Cyberbear

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hippie
    Down toward the bottom of the article it gives a brief discription of what it does not kill.
    namely, Giardia. count me out then. and I certainly wouldnt use it in a third-world country if it didnt kill something that common.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'd be a little suspicious of this device for backpacking in the U.S. The 15 micron filtration size isn't small enough to take care of anything we need to be concerned with (namely giardia and crypto) and the required contact time for all other iodine purification products is 15-20 minutes under ideal conditions, longer for cold water.
    kncats

Better than nothing if you are an impoverished 3rd worlder and the only other choice is to drink straight out of a contaminated body of water. As for me, I would choose a more effective means to purify water, I have money.

Just get an inline filter and attach it to your camel bak...no wait, no irritating pumping.

I use Aqua-Mira and a bandana, though.

I have used one of theMcnett ones for 2 years in Everglades swamp water and besides the bad taste I have never gotten sick.
    http://www.botac.com/mcfremwafisy.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Lifestraw? Horsecrappy.................and just think there will be some poor hapless soul who'll fall for it and get sick, or die.................

++ New Posts ++