WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Who has right of way? uphill hiker or trail runner?

I have been taught that when meeting another hiker on a trail who is going the opposite direction, the one going uphill has the right of way. Those rules were made before trail running became so popular. Last week, my wife and I did a rim to rim to rim hike in the Grand Canyon. At least 30% of the hikers we met on the trail were doing rim to rim to rim in one day runs. When possible, we stepped off the trail to let the runners pass, but several times under the traditional rules we should have had the right of way. Who has the right of way, the hiker going up hill or the trail runner?
    Shutterbug

trail runner.

Don't even get me started on this. I backpacked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim this year and many trail runners behaved as if they own the trail. Keep in mind that I'm also a runner. I can relate to what these guys are doing. I actually would love to run the canyon myself someday. So I have nothing against trail running but basic courtesy doesn't go out the window just because someone chooses to run rather than walk.

While it may be proper etiquette for the downhill hiker to yield to the uphill hiker, I always thought downhill momentum made it easier for the uphill hiker to yield.

That said, regardless of uphill/downhill, if both hiker and runner are traveling the same direction, it's logical for the hiker to yield to faster runners. Therefore, it's probably makes most sense for hikers to yield to runners coming from the opposite direction.

P.S. If my secord rule applies, perhaps it makes more sense to yield to runners and hikers alike coming downhill. (my original thought)

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If the rules of the trail are anything like the rules of the road, then no one HAS right of way.....you can only YIELD it.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

2010 complete

I'm a runner, and I tend to stop for those coming up hill; unless they stop first.

The "outdoorsman" always has the right of way, regardless of direction of travel.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

There is no rule, as a matter of fact, I usually hike in order to stop thinking about constantly following rules. I tend to yield to anyone that is hiking faster than me, or any time I can easily step off the trail, but that's just because I'm usually a nice guy.

The exception is the rare case when the person is acting like a jerk or like they own the place (large groups of inconsiderate tourists fall into is category), then I obstruct.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-22-2013 at 20:31.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The "outdoorsman" always has the right of way, regardless of direction of travel.
    Personally I believe whoever is sporting the most merit badges should yield since they are clearly superior.

Journal Entries

Its harder for the uphill hiker to get going again, is theoretically why they should have right of way.
    Usually, both stop and exchange pleasantries though for a minute or two.

No need to yield to a runner just because they are running. The fact that they are choosing to run is their problem, no one owes them the right to step aside. They shouldnt expect it either.

In any case, its harder for the uphill person to get re-started, so I think the same courtesy would still apply, pack or no pack.

the hiker with a sidearm, and a vicious dog, always gets the right of way

I tend to gladly step off when I'm going uphill. I get a nice few second breather and the person who has more momentum (downhill hiker) gets to keep moving. It takes more energy for them to stop than the uphill hiker. I take this into consideration for runners and hikers alike. If I'm going downhill and a runner is coming at me, I take the grade into consideration. If it's steep, I keep going. If it's mild, I'll gladly step off for they can get by unhindered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    While it may be proper etiquette for the downhill hiker to yield to the uphill hiker, I always thought downhill momentum made it easier for the uphill hiker to yield.

That said, regardless of uphill/downhill, if both hiker and runner are traveling the same direction, it's logical for the hiker to yield to faster runners. Therefore, it's probably makes most sense for hikers to yield to runners coming from the opposite direction.

P.S. If my secord rule applies, perhaps it makes more sense to yield to runners and hikers alike coming downhill. (my original thought)
    To get serious for a moment, everything in this post is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    To get serious for a moment, everything in this post is spot on.
    If we are going to be serious, for a moment, I step off immediately upon perceiving this might be helpful to someone. If it requires more thought than that, you are on the wrong track.

Images

As a hiker and a trail runner I would yield to a runner much faster than a hiker because it is less of an issue to break pace for hikers vs runners. (I consider myself more of a hiker than runner.)

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Personally I believe whoever is sporting the most merit badges should yield since they are clearly superior.
    I respectfully submit that whoever has the most man patches wins.

http://www.manpatch.org/Man_Patch/Home.html

Slower traffic should always yield to faster.

Sent from somewhere.

It's just like the real world (drivers). Some people yield and some people don't. More than likely long before the yielding is necessary someone is showing signs of giving the other the right of way. If its a family or group and I'm a single ill normally let them pass (up or down)

Images

Thru-hikers rule! Haven't you been paying attention? Seriously though, I was taught the same as you, yield to the uphill hiker. That being said, I usually step off the trail no matter which way I'm going... I am in NO hurry to get back to work!

The correct answer has been provided.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++