WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Halloween along the Trail

Since it's almost Halloween, I was wondering if anyone knows any good stories about haunted places along the Trail. My favorite one is Rausch Gap Cemetery going north from the shelter. The year was 1886, and Rausch Gap was a booming coal mining town along what will be the Appalachian Trail. Young Mattie Roberts was distraught after fiancé left her for another man in a neighboring town. To overcome her grief, she decides to visit her mother's grave one more time in the cemetery and then go for a short hike in the mountains. Overwhelmed by the grief, she crosses the railroad tracks without looking... only to find the express train barreling down at her. Needless to say, there wasn't much to bury after she was hit and dragged hundreds of feet. Some still say you can hear her moaning along the trail at Rausch Gap Cemetery.

"eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Poedog View Post
    Yup, that one is close to where I live!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    Yup, that one is close to where I live!!
    I grew up in Buena Vista, and the first time I saw that marker I must have been 5 or 6. Scared the bejeesus outa me!
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Poedog View Post
    I grew up in Buena Vista, and the first time I saw that marker I must have been 5 or 6. Scared the bejeesus outa me!
    No way, really??? You grew up in Buena Vista?? You live in Calli now?? How cool is that?!

I like ur new avatar... awesome!

I wonder if you know Deer Hunter... he has lived in Buena Vista all his life.

Aww... you got scared when you were just a lil boy! :>)

I saw that marker this year, on Mother's Day. Very, very sad.

I like the so called haunted House just past Laurel Branch shelter on the left in VA, I and some other hikers slept in it in 2006, ( not Haunted ).

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    No way, really??? You grew up in Buena Vista?? You live in Calli now?? How cool is that?!

I like ur new avatar... awesome!

I wonder if you know Deer Hunter... he has lived in Buena Vista all his life.

Aww... you got scared when you were just a lil boy! :>)
    Sho' nuff! Born 'n raised. Was on the trail picking ramps with the pops as a wee tot, fascinated by the dirty, hairy people with backpacks who kept walking by. I'm in BV right now actually. Let me say, I've enjoyed reading your posts and your overall positive, supportive attitude is a breath of fresh air on here. Sorry for the thread wander...

++ New Posts ++