WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I'd Like To See An AT Race

Actually, I'm a slow hiker and not even a trail runner but with the popularity of trail running I think there should be an Appalachian Trail race.

They could run it in stages like the Tour de France with some zero days thrown in. If the major networks are willing to cover the Ironman competition I'd think they'd cover an AT race too.

oh oh, could there be a TV show too? with challenges and such? and some fear factor eating gross stuff. and who would host? any volunteers?

seriously though, i think this is a horrible idea, and hope nothing like it ever sees the light of day. can you imagine being out on a hike and told "we're filming, you can't hike this section today"

Images

Good luck getting permission.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Actually, I'm a slow hiker and not even a trail runner but with the popularity of trail running I think there should be an Appalachian Trail race.

They could run it in stages like the Tour de France with some zero days thrown in. If the major networks are willing to cover the Ironman competition I'd think they'd cover an AT race too.
    it's already a "race" every year with most through hikers. hurry up to katahdin! it's about the destination

Images

every year theres a race.with numbers and everything.

That would be worse than watching soccer but possibly more interesting than watching guys catch fish. You need an event where somebody go possibly die. Something like this:

http://www.badwater.com/
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you are in such a dadburned hurry, why are you walking?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I think that's an excellent idea!!!

I'd Like To See An AT Race
    And just how would you see such an event?

On TV?

Would that require TV crews and and sound trucks at all the road crossings along the way?

Cameras at all the good view/rest points along the trail?

Blocking off parts of the trail to accommodate all that?

Helicopters and Blimps flying overhead for the good shots?

Grandstands for packsnifers to sit in and cheer?

Be careful what you wish for.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Maybe something along the lines of survivor with teams and challenges. Earning immunity. "Speedy Joe, the bubble has spoken, Gather your water bottle and leave the trail immediately."
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

With enough corporate money we could widen and pave the trail for the camera trucks to follow the race. Afterwards anyone could drive from GA to ME in a few days/weeks and wouldn't have to put up with all those smelly hikers

I think it's a bad idea, with all the film crews and everything else they would bring along it would turn the AT in to a Circus.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If you are in such a dadburned hurry, why are you walking?
    Yeah, what he said!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    And just how would you see such an event?

On TV? Of Course

Would that require TV crews and and sound trucks at all the road crossings along the way? Yes

Cameras at all the good view/rest points along the trail? Yes

Blocking off parts of the trail to accommodate all that? No

Helicopters and Blimps flying overhead for the good shots? It's a green tunnel not many good shots. A blimp would be cool though.

Grandstands for packsnifers to sit in and cheer?

Be careful what you wish for.
    Some of the profits would have to go the AT trail clubs and the ATC.

I guess there are some folks who don't think TV should cover the Iditarod dog sled race every year in Alaska either.

Images

Too boring for TV. No audience

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I think it's a bad idea, with all the film crews and everything else they would bring along it would turn the AT in to a Circus.
    it's already a circus every spring in georgia with the hundreds of hikers and so-called "trail angels" every few miles for 100 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's already a circus every spring in georgia with the hundreds of hikers and so-called "trail angels" every few miles for 100 miles
    I love the circus. Couldn't get enough as a kid. That's why I always try to section hike in April in north Ga. More fun than a barrel of monkeys watching the newby's get started.

While some of these posts may simply be armchair musings, for the record, the Appalachian Trail Comprehensive Plan states,

Management actions will discourage activities that would degrade the Trail’s natural and
    cultural resources or social values, such as use by groups or organizations involved in
    promotion, sponsorship, or participation in spectator events or competitive activities, or
    by groups which by their size or commercial interest generate use which is inconsistent
    with the concept of a simple footpath.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    While some of these posts may simply be armchair musings, for the record, the Appalachian Trail Comprehensive Plan states,

Management actions will discourage activities that would degrade the Trail’s natural and
    cultural resources or social values, such as use by groups or organizations involved in
    promotion, sponsorship, or participation in spectator events or competitive activities, or
    by groups which by their size or commercial interest generate use which is inconsistent
    with the concept of a simple footpath.

Laurie P.
    ATC
    +infinity... thank you for giving us a ray of hope on this laurie. have yall ever fielded requests along these lines? would professional film crews fall under this same category? i'm thinking specifically about the walk in the woods movie

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's already a "race" every year with most through hikers. hurry up to katahdin! it's about the destination
    Seems like they go slower every year. Six months plus? Geesh.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-23-2013 at 18:36.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++