Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: musicians

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,553

    Default musicians

    I play Irish style button accordion. Way to big to bring along, but would consider penny whistle. So what can a musician do to get their fix on the trail.
    Bryce

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    headphones.....

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    headphones.....
    I carry a harmonica but don't pull it out unless sure no one is around.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-29-2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    headphones.....
    .........
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

  5. #5
    Registered User FarmerChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-03-2012
    Location
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Posts
    1,800
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    .........
    Aww you beat me to it. LOL. I am a musician and my trusty iphone is my fix if I absolutely need it. Honestly, I like to get out and hear the sounds of nature and all its music. Now, if there happens to be a piano or guitar at a hostel or inn...that's a different story.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    Any hostels with a button accordion ??

  7. #7

    Default

    There were a couple of young people who brought along their banjos this year. They could also sing! Loved hearing them harmonize after a long day of hiking.

  8. #8
    Registered User Theosus's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-22-2011
    Location
    Florence, South Carolina, United States
    Age
    48
    Posts
    711
    Images
    1

    Default

    Dueling banjos in the woods? That would be awesome (unless you were camping a few hundred yards away at dusk)
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

  9. #9

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    63
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    my guitar has been my best friend since i was 8 yrs old,but ive never brought it on the trail, and never will.ive gotten a few opportunities to play several times last year in maine, and twice this spring, once in franklin and again in damascus, and those times were all very special and wonderful.the moment and the mood were just right, and i happen to play pretty well, so i wasnt pissin people off.but if i had been playing the whole trip, none of those moments would have ever happened.and i guarantee you i would have pissed a few people off.
    now bagpipes, on the other hand, would work.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    my guitar has been my best friend since i was 8 yrs old,but ive never brought it on the trail, and never will.ive gotten a few opportunities to play several times last year in maine, and twice this spring, once in franklin and again in damascus, and those times were all very special and wonderful.the moment and the mood were just right, and i happen to play pretty well, so i wasnt pissin people off.but if i had been playing the whole trip, none of those moments would have ever happened.and i guarantee you i would have pissed a few people off.
    now bagpipes, on the other hand, would work.
    you don't play any of that bruce springsteen crap do ya?

  11. #11
    Registered User ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    62
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    I prefer to listen to an air guitar in the woods.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-04-2002
    Location
    various places
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    I play Irish style button accordion. Way to big to bring along, but would consider penny whistle. So what can a musician do to get their fix on the trail.
    Bryce
    I'm a professional, international touring musician...music defines much of my life, leave your instruments at home. Wanna play music...play music, wanna hike...go hiking.

    That's my view.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-10-2011
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I play piano, every day. Mostly classical, but other stuff too. Still taking lessons after all these years. It's become a habit, a much-needed hour of calm concentration in my day. So I miss it when I go backpacking. And I'm planning a SOBO thru hike next year. I will miss my wife and the piano the most, I think.

    But I take an ipod full of music. Next year I'm thinking about taking some piece of sheet music with me that I have never played, and studying it when I get the chance, away from the piano. This is pretty specific to classical music, but there are a lot of details in a typical piano piece. Some of the great players are able to do this, totally learn a new piece away from the piano, hearing it in their head, then sit down and play it. I would probably print it out as reduced as I could and still read it, so it's ultralight. It would be an interesting experiment...

    I play other instruments too - bluegrass banjo, baroque recorder - but I would never take them backpacking. Sound really carries, especially at night. What you think is great music might be someone else's hell on earth.

    Forrest

  14. #14

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    63
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you don't play any of that bruce springsteen crap do ya?
    occasionally in ny/nj.never ever in damascus.guess i gotta learn me some dbt

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    occasionally in ny/nj.never ever in damascus.guess i gotta learn me some dbt
    or some jason isbell

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    or some jason isbell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClugMhMbrRg

  17. #17

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Registered User kayak karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-21-2007
    Location
    Swedesboro, NJ
    Age
    65
    Posts
    5,339
    Images
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Bruce was good till '75, after that just political crap. some hikers should start a band "Trail Running Wet Dogs with Guns" just don't call yourselves "Drive-by Hikers" somebody will be pissed.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    63
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Bruce was good till '75, after that just political crap. some hikers should start a band "Trail Running Wet Dogs with Guns" just don't call yourselves "Drive-by Hikers" somebody will be pissed.
    i saw him play the bottom line in 75. best rock and roll bar band id ever seen.after the darkness album he took a left turn into politics.still he was a great part of the healing process here both after 9/11 and the storm last year.



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuRGt7LnzU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •