WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Think of it this way: based on just weight, and not factoring in fitness (which is not based exclusively on weight) as well as determination, would someone do better at 185 pounds or 200? Since pack weight DOES directly affect the overall weight you're carrying, a 5lb pack will increase chances of success over a 20 lb pack.

I was 30 pounds overweight when I started my AT thru hike (2013), but I still counted ounces and started with a 16 pound pack (minus food and water). I lost all my excess weight within the first month. So to your point, why should overweight people worry about counting ounces? Simple, because most hikers will lose the excess weight and then still have to hike another 4-5 months to finish their thru hike. I'm glad I had such a light pack (without having to sacrifice comfort).

If you are going to start a long hike out of shape and overweight, your odds of getting in shape and succeeding with your attempt will be improved by reducing your pack weight to a reasonable extent. If you'd like to increase your odds of success even further, losing weight and getting fit will help even more. Both of these facts are perfectly obvious, and therefore merit discussion only in light of the slight possibility of illuminating the dim.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    I was 30 pounds overweight when I started my AT thru hike (2013), but I still counted ounces and started with a 16 pound pack (minus food and water). I lost all my excess weight within the first month. So to your point, why should overweight people worry about counting ounces? Simple, because most hikers will lose the excess weight and then still have to hike another 4-5 months to finish their thru hike. I'm glad I had such a light pack (without having to sacrifice comfort).
    The only flaw though, is that without a real change in eating and exercise habits weightloss as a result of a thru-hike will be fleeting once the hike is finished and back in the real world. Hikers are not dropping weight because they are eating right, they are dropping weight because they are burning more calories.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    The only flaw though, is that without a real change in eating and exercise habits weightloss as a result of a thru-hike will be fleeting once the hike is finished and back in the real world. Hikers are not dropping weight because they are eating right, they are dropping weight because they are burning more calories.
    I agree completely. Train your body now to be healthy so it is less of a shock when you get back from a hike.

Wish I had a few extra pounds on my bones when I start a hike...it falls off quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Wish I had a few extra pounds on my bones when I start a hike...it falls off quickly.
    You could try wetting your dry bones.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I would be willing to give you some.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I will say this, at 31 years old, having just began hiking this year. I am 6'3" 340 pounds. I enjoy hiking, will I ever thru hike? I doubt it will occur any time soon due to work and family obligations. I will tho, hike as much as I can. I chose to become an ultralight gram weenie. Why? Because I am a fat and out of shape guy that sucks wind at the top of every incline, With or WITHOUT a pack. So the lighter my pack is the easier it is on me and the less I suck wind. Do I plan on loosing weight, yeah. Do I plan on toting a heavier pack if I reach my goal weight of 235. HELL NO!. 1st hike this year was 12.5 miles 1 day camped and went home next morning, I was skin out weight at 48 pounds. Next Hike was 8.5 miles much more difficult terrain and was skin out weight at 33.64 pounds. So far I haven't been able to hike on the second day. That is going to change. Pack isn't about to get heavier tho. My skin out goal for a two day hike is sub 25 pounds. Doable, but not cheap.

First post. Rant Off.
    KKJ-Out.

I'm about 40 pounds overweight, but for me lightening the load is about saving my back and shoulders. Once I'm hiking I lose weight fast and I'm relatively active.

I try to gain weight before a thru. Could I argue that overweight people could save weight by bringing less food because we have it stored on our bodies?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I try to gain weight before a thru. Could I argue that overweight people could save weight by bringing less food because we have it stored on our bodies?

Virtually every hiker relies on body fat for at least part of their energy needs. Further, even if you do eat massive quantities of food you will still use body fat on an instantaneous basis. Could overweight people use body fat? Absolutely, if they only eat the difference between the calories expended and the calorie burned for fat then they will maximize it. On a short term basis, several days, I can count on burning a pound of body fat per high mile hiking day.

I'm 6"3 200 so I'm not really overweight but I lose weight on the trail so fast. If your carrying some extra pounds to start I wouldn't worry about losing them. By the time you get to hotsprings you will be fine.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post

Yes, you can argue it.

At 5000 cal/day for 150 days, you could argue that a 215 lb overweight person would not need to bring any food.

But youd also be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yes, you can argue it.

At 5000 cal/day for 150 days, you could argue that a 215 lb overweight person would not need to bring any food.

But youd also be wrong.
    I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykiddjoe View Post
    I will say this, at 31 years old, having just began hiking this year. I am 6'3" 340 pounds. I enjoy hiking, will I ever thru hike? I doubt it will occur any time soon due to work and family obligations. I will tho, hike as much as I can. I chose to become an ultralight gram weenie. Why? Because I am a fat and out of shape guy that sucks wind at the top of every incline, With or WITHOUT a pack. So the lighter my pack is the easier it is on me and the less I suck wind. Do I plan on loosing weight, yeah. Do I plan on toting a heavier pack if I reach my goal weight of 235. HELL NO!. 1st hike this year was 12.5 miles 1 day camped and went home next morning, I was skin out weight at 48 pounds. Next Hike was 8.5 miles much more difficult terrain and was skin out weight at 33.64 pounds. So far I haven't been able to hike on the second day. That is going to change. Pack isn't about to get heavier tho. My skin out goal for a two day hike is sub 25 pounds. Doable, but not cheap.

First post. Rant Off.
    KKJ-Out.
    Keep dropping that weight and keep hiking! Three years ago hiking was really difficult for me. I kept trying and I'm amazed at where I am today. It doesn't happen overnight but it WILL happen if you don't give up.

-

like some others have mentioned, my opinion is that it is an advantage to start a long hike a little over your ideal body weight - once your capacity for daily and hourly milage increases you are better able to obtain the food needed to avoid excessive weight loss - when I met up with Dogwood years back in New England, he explained that he was needing to spend extra time in each trail town packing on calories to prevent excessive weight loss - not an uncommon problem

Garlic
    Images

I closely monitor my body fat when I'm on a long hiking or biking trip. A few pounds stored is a good thing, if you're doing the miles like Malto said. But I think the advantage ends at single digit pounds. When you start talking 10 or more pounds, overall fitness has probably declined too and you'll pay the price on the climbs.

Default Hyoh

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Reading the responses to this thread is a good indicator or the fact that most people are generally over weight (and 50), myself included, this is how I know.

The difference appears to be, that I'm prepared to acknowledge that I am over weight, not live in denial, do something positive about it, whilst trying to lighten my pack weight.

It defies logic and common sense (IMO), when people are trying to save ounces in their pack, when in the real world, they could, with some effort and will power, lose many pounds of body fat; mitigate injuries, serious fatigue, risk of heart attack and enjoy their hike from day one. Why make things difficult, when things could be easier?

The bottom line is that weight is weight. This same weight that puts pressure on joints, creates health problems and ultimately has to be carried up and down mountains. But hey, hike your own hike.

Over weight people making excuses on an Ultra Lightweight walking forum, George Carlin would just love this material, God Bless him.
    Why does it "defy logic" to cut ounces? Undertaking the AT is supposed to be all about Hiking Your OWN Hike, isn't it? I carry a few extra pounds and would love nothing more than to simply shed them. I'm working on this and more, and I have news for you...it's HARD. If a person has a goal like the AT and chooses to go about it by cutting ounces in his/her pack in order to accomplish their goal(s), so be it. Who are you to decide that their path to accomplishment is trivial?

You might want to consider that each person is fighting a battle that you know nothing about. It might be weight for one, family death for another, personal goals, life change, depression, burn-out, physical injury, ...the list goes on.

Remember that the important thing in a community like this one is to encourage and support each other, and to meet our new friends where they stand and walk together all the way to the end. Try to find your way to a non-judging attitude: It will serve you well, I think.

At 6' 1", 67 yes & 215# I think it can be said that if it was easy to shed weight there would be much less ads for instant weight lose. (And reach me another Taco, he said pecking away on his smartphone in his Barcolounger.)
    Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++