WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LW and speed

Default LW and speed

Many think that LW is all or mostly about hiking faster.
    That can be true but not always in the obvious way.
    This is a comment from Ray Jardine about his AT hike :
    "We started behind virtually every thru-hiker on the trail that year," says Jardine. "But by the time we reached Katahdin, we had passed all but a handful. The thing is, we never passed anyone on the trail. We move too slowly for that. We passed them while they were resting, or sleeping, or taking layover days because they were all so tired from lugging those huge packs."

BTW, I am in the sort of LW zone (Comfortably Light is what I call it) because I carry less weight that way....

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Many think that LW is all or mostly about hiking faster.
    That can be true but not always in the obvious way.
    This is a comment from Ray Jardine about his AT hike :
    "We started behind virtually every thru-hiker on the trail that year," says Jardine. "But by the time we reached Katahdin, we had passed all but a handful. The thing is, we never passed anyone on the trail. We move too slowly for that. We passed them while they were resting, or sleeping, or taking layover days because they were all so tired from lugging those huge packs."

BTW, I am in the sort of LW zone (Comfortably Light is what I call it) because I carry less weight that way....
    Franco,
    My assumption is that you are using LW for Light Weight. Most folks around here when they see LW, they think Lone Wolf.
    UL (Ultra Light) is what I have seen a lot more for what you are getting at.
    Great point though about less weight making hiking easier and more fun, so you can stay steady at it longer with less need for breaks.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries

The difference between a 10 mile day and a 20 mile day is time spent hiking, not speed.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lone Wolf travels at his own pace
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

hahahaha, the LW zone, this is gonna get good, let the games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The difference between a 10 mile day and a 20 mile day is time spent hiking, not speed.
    Point being time spent hiking likely to be more enjoyable, thus more extended, the less you carry. Other side of coin is time in camp may be less enjoyable thus less protracted the less you carry. Everyone will find the balance that works for them. Especially if they actually get out there after learning /sharing/laughing at what they learn here.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Point being time spent hiking likely to be more enjoyable, thus more extended, the less you carry. Other side of coin is time in camp may be less enjoyable thus less protracted the less you carry. Everyone will find the balance that works for them. Especially if they actually get out there after learning /sharing/laughing at what they learn here.
    And thus Andrew Skurka's question of "are you an ultimate hiker, or an ultimate camper?".
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

This thread was much more interesting when I thought it was about Lone Wolf.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Franco, I've been saying that for well over 5 yrs. Absolutly agree. Going LW or UL DOES NOT always have to be about going fast or even far.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    This thread was much more interesting when I thought it was about Lone Wolf.
    Then keep thinking that is what it is about. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Sorry about the confusion...
    Most of the stuff discussed in this forum section is really Light Weight anyway not UL or SUL...
    Mind you Light Weight today was thought as UL a decade ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    And thus Andrew Skurka's question of "are you an ultimate hiker, or an ultimate camper?".
    But why do I have to be one or the other?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    You dont, there is a continuous spectrum in between.
    HYOH.

Personally, I tend to the lighter side. When hiking solo, there isnt anything else to do but walk, and lighter weights let you walk longer, in comfort.

But Im also goal oriented when I go out, I usually have X days to make Y miles, and only Z amt of food. It puts a little pressure on . Occasionally I will stop and spend time with interesting people. I did this earlier this year. I stopped 5 miles short for the day because I wanted to talk to a hiker more. Had to make those miles up though to stay on schedule.

It would be really nice to not have a schedule, but most people have a vague one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    You and MW are both right. Everyone falls between the extremes. One or the other is a false choice. The choice is which extreme to approach, and how close to approach it, for your greatest benefit.

Lightweight definitely doesn't necessarily mean fast. I didn't qualify as Ultralight on my hike but did manage to be kinda-sorta-light. I hiked for a couple of days with Ray Jardine in 2009 - ran into him at Mombasha high point - thought he was a day hiker, his pack was so tiny!, and I can corroborate - he did not hike fast! That's the only reason I was able to keep hiking with him! He hiked super super slow uphill. His goal was to not elevate his heart rate at all, because he said that's what would tire you out. So he could hike for 25 miles plus (of course that meant getting up at 4:30 a.m. and hiking until 10:00 p.m.) and hike really slowly. And he would take only five minute breaks. And yep, he would pass everyone while they were sleeping. It was a hoot to meet him and hang out, but I didn't have any interest in maintaining the same kind of hiking schedule he had, so went back to hiking my own hike. But how cool to hang out for a little while with a trail icon! Quite a character!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Mind you Light Weight today was thought as UL a decade ago.

tell me about it or maybe I'll tell you. In the mid-late 1990's -mid 2000 decade one of the hottest UL AT thru-hiking packs was the 2 lb 2 oz Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Now UL packs in that volume are down in the 1- 1.5 lb range and the Vapor Trail was discontinued about 2-3 yrs ago. I think one big reason is that some ULers would now consider that to simply be a LW pack. Solo UL tents are now around the 2 lb mark(some sub 2 lbs) when I recall around the turn of the millenium them being in the 3 lbish range. And when I was a younger hiker we hiked uphill the entire way on the AT and we ate Ramen and ramps and dirt ever night and we didn't have any of these high tech trail runner shoes. we all wore 5 lb thick leather European styled mountaineering boots, there was no trail magic or these Ithings we had pay phones every 200 miles .....AND, we were happy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    Lightweight definitely doesn't necessarily mean fast. I didn't qualify as Ultralight on my hike but did manage to be kinda-sorta-light. I hiked for a couple of days with Ray Jardine in 2009 - ran into him at Mombasha high point - thought he was a day hiker, his pack was so tiny!, and I can corroborate - he did not hike fast! That's the only reason I was able to keep hiking with him! He hiked super super slow uphill. His goal was to not elevate his heart rate at all, because he said that's what would tire you out. So he could hike for 25 miles plus (of course that meant getting up at 4:30 a.m. and hiking until 10:00 p.m.) and hike really slowly. And he would take only five minute breaks. And yep, he would pass everyone while they were sleeping. It was a hoot to meet him and hang out, but I didn't have any interest in maintaining the same kind of hiking schedule he had, so went back to hiking my own hike. But how cool to hang out for a little while with a trail icon! Quite a character!

Really interesting about not trying to elevate his heart rate. Makes sense. Going into the "Red Zone" definitely takes a toll as the day wears on. The Orange and Yellow probably have an effect, too. Thanks for sharing this.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

You know what's funny...that back in 1995 the most popular pack out there was the Dana Design Terraplane...about 7.5lbs empty...and we were still hiking 25-30 mile days back then, my mileage has never increased with a drop in packweight.

In 2001, my pack was around 25lbs on average, my I was doing 25-30's at times. In 2008, even lighter...longest day was about 27 miles.

I don't think I could hike with 40lbs these days...but in 1995 I once hiked 26 miles in 7.5 hours carrying about 35lbs...I was also 19 : )

2010 complete

I get further because I hike longer, whether I'm light weight or heavy weight. I hike from sunrise to sunset. I don't limit my day by shelters. I don't stop early, 'cause I just can't sit still long enough. I'm asleep by nightfall. I am obsessed with weight simply from a comfort angle. I'm LW, but I am not going without my tent, starbucks, etc... I do go without watch, camera, and much, much more. I won't even put a patch on my pack.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    You know what's funny...that back in 1995 the most popular pack out there was the Dana Design Terraplane...about 7.5lbs empty...and we were still hiking 25-30 mile days back then, my mileage has never increased with a drop in packweight.

In 2001, my pack was around 25lbs on average, my I was doing 25-30's at times. In 2008, even lighter...longest day was about 27 miles.

I don't think I could hike with 40lbs these days...but in 1995 I once hiked 26 miles in 7.5 hours carrying about 35lbs...I was also 19 : )
    what's funnier is that my Sierra Design two man tent 30 years ago was lighter than it's replacement and was an excellent tent that served me well. Still have my original pack as well. It's too large, but external, LW, comfortable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++