WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Plans for existing shelters

I'm going to build my own shelter on my 20 acres in Virginia but I'd like to have a set of plans to start with. Not interested in Tom Strong's plans, not the plans I want. Actual plans or web sites of other shelters will be really helpful.
    Thanks
    John

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

You might want to check and see who is in charge of the MA section of the AT - they have a number of (fairly) newer shelters with a loft built in - quite nice design. I'd think since they have been built more recently than many they might still have the designs around.

Images

Do you have an Idea of the type you would like to build? Post and beam like many in Georgia or log cabin kit type like Huricane mtn shelter. I think most are just ad lib with the exception of the plywood boxes that are all the same in most of Virginia. I bet the Georgia club has some real nice plans.

i know someone is gonna chime in with the guys name....

There is (was?) a WB regular who worked for a licensed shuttle company that shuttled primarily in the SNP. This company was highly recommended on WB. This individual built an AT style shelter on his property that shuttle patrons could use if desired. He put his property up for sale a while back and posted pictures here. He would be an excellent resource.

Now if someone can just remember his name...

If you look around used book shops, MATC has a book on shelter their design. Just skip the skylight idea (they all leaked and were swapped back to normal roofing)

If you have the trees, I'd go with a traditional log lean too. Although it takes some serious work and a lot of help man handle the logs. I don't know why you'd need plans, it's a pretty simple structure. Go vist a few of the older, simpler ones and take some photos.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I never realized how many small wooden structures and cabins are or were in ONP and on the OP.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you have the trees, I'd go with a traditional log lean too. Although it takes some serious work and a lot of help man handle the logs. I don't know why you'd need plans, it's a pretty simple structure. Go vist a few of the older, simpler ones and take some photos.
    If you go this route, plan ahead and buy some "extra" equipment, like heavy ropes, heavy wire rope and clamps for a high-line, a couple of heavy-duty come-alongs, some heavy-duty pulleys that can be used separately or to construct a high-line "trolley", and some web slings of various lengths. These toys are in addition to the heavy-duty chainsaw and all of the safety equipment (chaps, helmet, gloves, etc.), and the tools to peel your logs and lift and move them around (some of this stuff can be built for almost nothing but your time and some stuff from the junkyard). ATC has some really good resource books for sale; check these out. Ask 5 different shelter builders how to do it, and you'll get 5 different opinions, but the only opinion that counts will be your own. Sit down before you begin and at the very least make some rough sketches (or even detailed drawings) so that you can see where you're headed BEFORE you start. And remember - if you get stuck on the details, then take a break and just think about it for a while. Browse through the pictures in the "shelters" gallery here at WB - the pictures will tell you a lot if you look at the details.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Seems to me in my limited understanding of the Daks lean to style shelters in the Daks that more than a few teeter on their native natural pilings leading to them being unlevel in some cases. I guess it makes them easier to move or relevel though. And, I assume there's a decent number of people who dedicate time to these shelters to keep them in generally very good condition above and beyond the DAKS individual lean to maintainers? Any thoughts?

I would pre-cut as much as possible , then haul the kit in , put it together with a battery drill and/ or nails. probably all treated wood inc.treated plywood. cover exterior with privacy fence pickets , or cut short and use as shingles
    IMHO
    What roofing material is used on most shelters

If cedar is locally available seems like it strikes a good balance between costs, durability, workability etc. If going the pine route and after pre cutting as much as possible I would treat the wood as much as possible before transporting the logs to some less accessible final sites. I've been looking into building a small primative structure(cabin) and possibly for a shorter duration cost effective cabin building course/class. What Proenneke did in his construction is really close to what I'm looking for.

Anyone know if any new AT, LT or Adiriondaks shelters are slated to recently be constructed?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    You might want to check and see who is in charge of the MA section of the AT - they have a number of (fairly) newer shelters with a loft built in - quite nice design. I'd think since they have been built more recently than many they might still have the designs around.
    Something like this? (showing framing only in this image) 3D Shelter.jpg

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Something like this? (showing framing only in this image) 3D Shelter.jpg

Cosmo

Yep - that would be the design. I know not all of them in MA look like that, but quite a few do (particularly the "named" ones).

Images

There is a guy who posted earlier this year who did his architectural thesis on shelter design. Fascinating, if you look thru the archives here you might find it.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    There is a guy who posted earlier this year who did his architectural thesis on shelter design. Fascinating, if you look thru the archives here you might find it.
    Nice work but no drawings that went beyond vague sketches.

I can send you plans and materials list. We use rough cut hemlock, but pine or fir would also do the job. You'll need some well-set footings first. We've been using telephone pole pieces lately.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++