WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Family debate

I hike of course it makes sense to me. Out west that's still within day trip distance.
    COG 2011

I always figure the road trip is half the fun...love exploring places I've never been.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????
    you're 23. you married with kids? if not who the hell you arguin' with? just go

he's right!

repeat after me...I'm only 23, the world is my play ground, I shall not want...unless you do have a wife and chilren, then you're in the same boat as many....repeat after me.

if I take off for six months to go hiking....my wife she gon be piiissed, yer on your own!

"Waste of time and money?" It depends. Waste is dependent upon whether the value of what one receives is in excess of the value of the resources expended. It is a family argument because different people perceive the value of the resources and the value of what the resources were traded for differently.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    "Waste of time and money?" It depends. Waste is dependent upon whether the value of what one receives is in excess of the value of the resources expended. It is a family argument because different people perceive the value of the resources and the value of what the resources were traded for differently.
    Agree. You said what I meant.

Images

what else are you doing anyway-heck-go hike.....

Sounds to me like someone is trying to tell you they don't want to go. Or they don't want you to go.

Yep, a total waste. I think you should stay home, sit on the coach, drink beer and watch football all weekend. That's much better for you
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, a total waste. I think you should stay home, sit on the coach, drink beer and watch football all weekend. That's much better for you
    Better yet watch Oprah

Images

I hike when and where I want...4 hour drive is about max for me for a day hike. I've had family drop me off in PA to hike while they went to Gettysburg for the day.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

2010 complete

You live at the beach, and I live in the foothills of those mountains. I drive 4 hours to the beach for the day and still get 8 hours of swimming. I would definitely go to the mountains for the weekend.

BIG boy talk ensuing! What are we social workers? Really? Are we personally aware of the details within your families intimate situation that we can give YOU reliable or comprehensive advice? What, just because it involves a hiking trip and this is a hiking website we as hikers are supposed to help YOU DECIDE what is appropriate for your situation? DUBIOUS! People eliciting opinions in open internet forums attempting to justify positions or come to conclusions is potentially fraught with problems. When it comes to something as important as your family life and from the vital role you play as a father and husband I would hope you don't rely on the opinions of internet users to come to deciding what is right for your family and situation. Your family and you deserve more! Don't they? I know I'm being harsh, and perhaps I'm not in line with the spirit of you asking this question, but I sincerely hope you don't rely on us for solving your "family debate!" I do sincerely hope your did gain something of value on your thread though.

Without knowing all the details/quirks of your relationship, it is difficult for anyone to provide "perfect" opinions. However, from my perspective, I go hiking for my health. (Physical and mental) It is the best escape from my cubicle jail Monday-Friday. If you NEED to go, then that is your reason. If you WANT to go, then you might consider a compromise of some sort.

If I lived 4 hrs from SMNP and DIDN'T spend a beautiful fall weekend there, it would be a wasted weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????
    MAX I dont know what map or clock you are looking at but the GSNP is much closer to 8hour drive than 4. You might want to check that out again.

Waste of time? What else would you prefer do with it than spend it with your family with adventure as a destination?

Just got back from a day spent driven by my 15 yo w/learner's permit. Two hours each way to hike about 2 hours. I wouldn't consider any of those hours wasted.

You only get a limit amount of time. Spend it however you want, but pay attention to what you get in return.

Yeah, you're asking the wrong people. This board has actually advised people to get divorced so they can thru-hike.

If the wife doesn't think it worth it(assuming she's going) then it ain't worth it. Especially if she a likely to keep vocally disagreeing the whole weekend.

go !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    My rule of thumb is the travel time does not exceed the play time.
    +1

I apply that to all my hobbies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++