WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Canisters

The Jetboil does come with a base support which some people like to use on the small canisters for stability. I didn't see the need for it and left it at home but I think the weight savings was pretty minimal.

Journal Entries

Yes no issue with stability in the real world with the smallest canister, perhaps on another world, heck YMMV. The smallest one worked without any tipping issue from GA to ME (Excluding CT, MA, VT as I went to esbit then), there was no concern of tipping over either, it is a non issue (and without the stability base)

The canisters are made to fit pots (or pots are meant to fit canisters) either way that is the reason for the sizes we see now as standard.
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-07-2013 at 18:02.

Back to the original question...to figure out home much/how many canisters you'll need, I think you are going to have to do some testing to find out how much fuel your setup burns. You won't be able to replicate every situation (rain, wind, cold), but you can get a decent idea in the backyard.
    one handy trick I picked up (can't remember where) is to put a full canister upside down in water and mark the "water line." Then, do the same when the canister is empty. I now mark all my canisters with the full and empty lines so I can quickly check the fuel level when I'm on the trail.

I usually carry two 4 oz. canisters. When one goes empty, then I start looking for resupply.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    I usually carry two 4 oz. canisters. When one goes empty, then I start looking for resupply.
    Some would say that means you are carrying way too much, including me.

After a while you get to know the shake test and can go with one with confidence.

I start with one 4 oz container, which lasted me between 6 and 10 days, then added a second one when I think I will need it because the first one might run out before I get to my next resupply point. So I almost always had 2, one of which was going empty. This way I always got every last bit of gas out of every container I bought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ottercreek_hiker View Post
    Ok, I have an MSR Windpro and I plan to do two 40oz boils a day, AM & PM. I was on a 3 day pack trip this past weekend when on the last morning I had a low pressure situation with my 8oz canister but my friend was using the MSR Pocket Rocket with a 4oz canister and had no problem except for the wind. The temps dropped to the upper 30's that night. I was wondering if the small canister was better in a low temp situation. I like the Windpro because I can use a windscreen without worrying about overheating the fuel canister.
    an msr windpro has a "generator" that will allow you to invert the canister ( after a few seconds of heating ) so that you will be feeding liquid instead of gas. this avoids the dreaded low temp / almost empty poor performance syndrome.

msr now markets the windpro with this feature. before, it was one of those wink, wink thing to avoid litigation. i would look on the web or contact msr so your up to speed ( that way i avoid litigation )

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...ld-weather-ii/
    Last edited by yaduck9; 11-09-2013 at 18:57.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I got my stove a few months ago and was told by the previous owner that they thought it was a Windpro and when I started to look for repair kits I found out that my stove did not look at all like a Windpro so I sent a pic to MSR and found out that I have a RapidFire stove, which is a spinoff from a Whisperlite to use canister fuel. It has the generator so that the canister can be inverted to overcome the low temp/pressure problem. I tried it out and it does work but the flame control is delayed when turning the heat down. I also made a windscreen and a heat deflector and
    that helped my boil times.
    Attachment 24866
    " Rover, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond call me what you will " Metallica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++