WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hennessy Hammock: Classic or Zip?

I'm thinking of getting a hammock, but I'm not sure the pros and cons of the classic versus zip models from Hennessy. Does anyone have opinions about the differences?

Thanks.

AT 2012

...don't mean to distract you, but you might look at hammock forums -- you have way more choices than those two...
    Lazarus

As mentioned above there are a lot of options out there other than Hennessy. While Hennessy is a good starting hammock and there is nothing wrong with them they just a limited in their options. In you want to go over to hammockforums.net there is a wealth of information over there.

NH

Images

the classic is a bottom entry and can be difficult with a quilt or pad. my son loves my old HH explorrer for just hanging around camp. i put a zipped mod on my ultra-explorer in 2008 before they had the option. probably getting a new one (ultra-explorer-zip) at christmas when the have the scout for free with it. i own 5 hammocks and my HH is still my go to when i need a net. use DIY for winter. KK
    Last edited by kayak karl; 10-26-2013 at 16:43.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have a classic HH, which I use with a pad and a sleeping bag, and I never had a problem getting in or out with the bottom entry. I also like that it seals pretty much automatically once I'm inside, keeping the skeeters out.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I have a classic HH, which I use with a pad and a sleeping bag, and I never had a problem getting in or out with the bottom entry. I also like that it seals pretty much automatically once I'm inside, keeping the skeeters out.
    Same here. Just got into hanging in July with a HH. I also have the HHSS for colder weather & used it on a just completed 80+ mile hike from NH to Mass. No problems with entry/exit. That being said, I'm going to send my HH Explorer to 2QZQ for their #4 zipper mod, which will allow me more flexibility of use when bug season is not an issue. On a side note from 1 noob to another, this hammock thing is addicting. While on my hike, my newest possession arrived.....a camo BIAS Weight Weenie (plus a matching underquilt) that's 11' long, 64" wide & comes in at about 11 oz. Definitely go to Hammock Forums for everything hammock & also check out Shug's vids on YouTube. The man is a wealth of hands on knowledge (as are many HF members) & is entertaining to watch, too! BTW....welcome to WB!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at hammocks for awhile and have spent time at hammockforums.net. I'm probably going to go with the hennessy explorer as my first hammock. I've heard a lot of good about it. I just wasn't sure if having the zipper was better or worse than the velcro bottom. I'm sure it varies a lot person to person. Either way I think people will get a kick out of me getting in and out of the hammock the first few times. :0)

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmm I am sort of with KK on this but modified the pad with a cut 3/4 with a split. And I have a 3/4 Stormcrow custom - But since the thyroid removal - I cant handle cold anymore and don't do winter anymore.

Oh I like the bottom entry... I tried the side zip once... ended up like a wrapped banana...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-27-2013 at 00:13.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++