WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidderush View Post
    I would suggest anyone who really wants objective information about this hostel should check out this thread, on which a number of actual hikers who have actually stayed at this hostel, share their actual experiences.

There is nothing quite like first-hand testimony. This thread is filled with the most amazingly bizarre slander....but the experiences of those who have actually stayed there totally contradict the horror stories.

Here is the link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16090

Sincerely,
    David Derush

i would stay at the hostel in rutland again in a heartbeat,i plan on visiting the community in chattanooga,i used to go to the yellow deli resturant in nashville in the late 70,s,i wish they would bring that resturant back to nashville,i loved it neo

Just was linked to this from the LT forum and wanted to give my experience with the twelve tribes in Island Pond.

I understand they are labeled a "cult", have weird beliefs and a secretive society, however they are harmless and respectful to outsiders.

They were unbelievably helpful to my grandmother after the death of my grandfather. She was not a member, but several members lived on her street and while the family was out of state, they used to shovel her driveway, cut her firewood, bring her food and fresh veggies, repaired her roof and fixed everything. She was very friendly with some of the women and they only once mentioned their church. After that they never mentioned it but continued to be friendly and helpful and made the last 10 years of her life much less lonely.

I'm not religious, but have met and dealt with several of them over the years and would testify that they are not bad people. I'm sure things could be different in the inner circles, but the average outsider enlisting their services can expect to be treated very well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post

I understand they are labeled a "cult", have weird beliefs and a secretive society, however they are harmless and respectful to outsiders.

They were unbelievably helpful to my grandmother after the death of my grandfather. She was not a member, but several members lived on her street and while the family was out of state, they used to shovel her driveway, cut her firewood, bring her food and fresh veggies, repaired her roof and fixed everything. She was very friendly with some of the women and they only once mentioned their church. After that they never mentioned it but continued to be friendly and helpful and made the last 10 years of her life much less lonely.
    "cults" don't do that kind of stuff for other people. If they did all you say they did then by definition they cannot be a "cult"...

Panzer

Images

I thought they lived in their own compound, and not individually in the real world?
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    "cults" don't do that kind of stuff for other people. If they did all you say they did then by definition they cannot be a "cult"...

Panzer
    Your dictionary is different than mine. Good deeds do not a non cult make. Cults span the spectrum of human activities. Neither good deeds, nor bad deeds. Nor a mixture of both, define the term.

Cults, however, largely depend on the eyes of the observer. Most modern religions began as what then conventional society considered cults.

The testimony on this long thread convinces me that this group easily qualifies for cultness, regardless of its good deeds.

Weary

i worked stayed there for 2 days while doing a section of the long trail last summer. the people there were super nice and only one person tired to tell me about what they believe. the food was awesome thats what i remember most.

My daughter, in grade 5 this past year, brought home a permission slip to attend a class on personal hygiene and puberty, sponsored by some companies that sell anti-perspirant and feminine hygiene products. There were spearate sessions for boys and girls and I thought it was harmless enough, and I suppose it was, but for the next few weeks she wanted to buy antiperspirant and stuff. Had to deprogram her, remind her that she is perfect just the way God made her, more or less, and not to get too carried away by all the products out there. lol

Don't really see why corporations need to be going into our schools. There was a case a few years ago where Ronald Macdonald was teaching high school kids about nutrition. Principal took alot of flak for that, rightly so.

Damn cults.

Images

calling them a cult is another way a saying that you think your better than them.

Panzer

I think people are better than corporations.

Journal Entries

calling them a cult is another way a saying that you think you're better than them. Panzer
    Well, at least different. We all hold different ideas. That's why there are often disagreements on White Blaze. The wise among us think our ideas are better or we would adopt different ideas.

I think the ideas behind most religions are pretty bizarre and those behind the Rutland folks are more bizarre than most.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Well, at least different. We all hold different ideas. That's why there are often disagreements on White Blaze. The wise among us think our ideas are better or we would adopt different ideas.

I think the ideas behind most religions are pretty bizarre and those behind the Rutland folks are more bizarre than most.

Weary
    religion is to cult as member is to non-member

was that an SAT question?

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

To each their own.

Just stay at the Long Trail Inn while in the Rutland area, very cool place.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

calling them a cult is another way a saying that you think your better than them.

Panzer
    Panzer,

That is just the reverse. It is the 12-tribes that tell its members to cut their ties with non-tribe members. I learn that first hand. I've stayed at one of their places several times. Yea they were friendly to me while I was their but when I left told my friend on more than one occasion to cut all relationship with me because I would not join.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Panzer,

That is just the reverse. It is the 12-tribes that tell its members to cut their ties with non-tribe members. I learn that first hand. I've stayed at one of their places several times. Yea they were friendly to me while I was their but when I left told my friend on more than one occasion to cut all relationship with me because I would not join.

Wolf
    well, OK, maybe they are a cult.

Panzer

Images

while I'm sitting here waiting for my bacon cheese burger, I'm just wondering if their allowed to eat bacon?

Panzer

while I'm sitting here waiting for my bacon cheese burger, I'm just wondering if their allowed to eat bacon?

Panzer
    Their diet won't when I stayed their. They eat "very health food". Salt for example that lower your blood pressure - at least that is what they said. It tasted different but I don't know the real "health benifit".

Wolf

Images

I'm guessing alcohol is completely out of the question.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Their diet won't when I stayed their. They eat "very health food". Salt for example that lower your blood pressure - at least that is what they said. It tasted different but I don't know the real "health benifit".

Wolf
    Probably Morton Lite Salt which is a blend of table salt (sodium chloride) and potassium chloride. It doesn't really lower your blood pressure on its own but substituting it for regular salt may result in lower blood pressure. Some people need to increase their intake of potassium as well so it can be useful for that. It does taste different.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Your dictionary is different than mine. Good deeds do not a non cult make. Cults span the spectrum of human activities. Neither good deeds, nor bad deeds. Nor a mixture of both, define the term.

Cults, however, largely depend on the eyes of the observer. Most modern religions began as what then conventional society considered cults.

The testimony on this long thread convinces me that this group easily qualifies for cultness, regardless of its good deeds.

Weary
    You know Weary, I have to agree with you on this one. I have always thought the MATC is a cult and now you confirm it.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++