WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Stayed there in 2008. As far as hostels go it was more than adequate. Would stay again.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Well, if you like the notions of the subservience of women, racial separatism, running right up against the edge of the law on child labor and education laws, members breaking ties with existing families, etc - then I guess they are okay. Some in this very old thread have mentioned that they are Christians. Not that it really matters to me, but they are definitely not in the sense that the word is used today. They are more akin to Messianics than anything else. And while they aren't Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple, or David Koresh and the Branch Davidians - YET - because of their "devotion", aka indoctrination, mind control, and obedience, they are closer to that ilk than I am comfortable with. Cults have a habit of eventually going off the deep end.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've seen them at Trails Days, they had a booth there selling "Mate", it's a tea & they were working the crowd very hard giving out information on their cult. It was interesting to watch people being drawn to the warm subtle ways.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting & sad thought? It just occurred to me after sifting through some of this thread. There's a shift in America these days, some folks who will never attempt to read or watch the news seem very laid back, tolerant & non judgmental & those who can't get enough of "their" choice of right or left "news" & are seemingly uptight, quickly intolerant, judgmental & even hateful. Kinda like a "right" or "left" cult?? Just a thought.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

so what i've heard so far. the food is good. they don't push their belief, you are simply within their fold and see how they do. and they house males/females seperately. that doesn't bother me much, many european hostels do the same.

they may be a little odd, but it doesn't sound like they are recruiting hikers to join, which would bother me

i see no problem, they want to live different by choice, that part of what makes america great. long as there is no abuse of any kind, i wish them well. and i look forward to the food

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
++ New Posts ++