WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Images

I think we're dancing around the democracy paradox: what about people/nations who decide of their own free will to give up their right to decide. Who vote Hitler into power? How much control should the majority have to force the minority to adhere to their views, of religion, for example?

This is WAY OT to hiking... Sorry.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta
    I think we're dancing around the democracy paradox: what about people/nations who decide of their own free will to give up their right to decide. Who vote Hitler into power? How much control should the majority have to force the minority to adhere to their views, of religion, for example?

This is WAY OT to hiking... Sorry.
    Wasn't speaking for anyone else, was speaking for myself.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    Wasn't speaking for anyone else, was speaking for myself.
    And isn't it great to be able to do that?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Yes it is!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Default What we believe...

Israel, you are very guilty of distorting and slandering some very good people.

What we believe is very simple and clear, and not at all what you present it to be.

What we believe can be read at:

http://www.twelvetribes.org/whoweare/ourbeliefs.html

In our belief system, everyone who is doing their best to live up to the best light they have received...who is obeying their conscience to the best of their ability...will ultimately find mercy, and a 2nd eternal life in the nations of the eternal age...after being purified of their iniquities in death.

We believe this to be true of sincere people of every faith and people-group; unlike most Christians, who assign all "outside of Christ" to the pit of hell...even little children, and in the case of Calvinists, even babies...

It is so easy to slander good people on the internet...who are too busy living a life of love to defend themselves against such "heretic hunters" as you, Israel.

May I suggest you vote with your feet, and stay away from my friends in Rutland...and may I also suggest that grown, mature human beings don't receive as truth, internet slander against people they have never met.

Anyone who visits my friends with an open, honest heart, will find them to be some of the best people on earth. As Israel warns, you may even fall in love with them and want to stay. May it be. It happened to me, and it was the best thing that ever did happen to me.

And our children are among the happiest and most loved children on earth, as many objective people who have visited us attest. Don't believe this garbage Israel is pushing...be an adult, and check it out for yourself.

Sincerely, David

Default typical snapshot of our life...

Here is a typical snapshot of our life, as reported on stinkyhikers.com, of what they observed of our children and family life and hospitality on their stay with us in Rutland.

Hardly sounds like the kind of horror-story scenario that Israel is pushing here, does it?
    ---------------

August 13, 2005

They are in Rutland VT, which is their 3rd state and mile 488. Just yesterday she found out that there was a Wendy’s about a mile down the road and not having had Wendy’s since they left Virginia (or maybe Kansas) she thought the walk there and back would be worth it.

Our hikers found refuge at the Back Home Again Hostel, which is run by a religious group called the 12 Tribes. Katie says these are great people who have opened up their home and share their lifestyle. Katie was impressed as she watched the children happily skipping over to help their parents bake bread. There was no TV and no music blasting away. The family was making their own music and they were making it together. They offered bread, butter and delicious homemade soup to them, which Katie and Jonathan said was fabulous.

-----------------------------------

Better stay away from that place, eh? We should probably have the State take their children from them too....imagine that, no TV, and only home-made music and food...no CD players, no McDonalds....what abuse, eh? They homeschool their children...and dare imagine that in order to actually follow the Son of God, one must freely choose to give all to love one another just as He gave all to love us, just as He commanded in John 13:34,35!

Sounds truly dangerous.

Forgive my sarcasm....

Sincerely, David

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

David,
    I am not surprised to see you acuse me of slandering you. Reality is that i am only reporting what my very own eyes and ears and spirit experienced as a result of my somewhat lengthy time staying with you all in various communities. You and i both know, moreso than the other visitors of this forum, that a hiker staying one night will not really have any idea what you are all about and what living with you all is really like. Had i not experienced it first hand, i would not have believed it, but having experienced what i experienced, i know it to be true. The fact that you would reduce yourself to labelling me and calling me a name is indicative of the methodology the tribes uses to discount the many voices who have raised up concern about the system that the tribes have evolved into over time...basically, don't address the message, just shoot the messenger. It is so easy to keep rosey glasses on if you are taught and except that all who may state something viewed as "negative" about the tribes is a "heritic hunter" or a god-hater. You have no idea who i am or what life i may or may not live, yet you are ok with deciding i am a "heritic hunter" similar to the likes of Rick Ross, et al.

You presume to know my heart simply b/c my mailing address is not the same as your community. How completely presumptious on your part. Call me a heritic hunter if you want, i personally know, and the people who really know me know, that nothing could be farther from the truth. It is your own folly that you would state such a thing so quickly and without merit. Take a moment and go back and read my post #34 in this thread before you so rashly and w/o merit presume to call me a "hertic hunter." Such ridiculous behavior for a grown man when clearly, my words so completely contradict your rashly formed opinion. Oh but wait...that would require you to actually stop and listen to a messenger, something the community is never trained to do. You tell on your own self David with your own behavior...to the point where you validate the arguement you seek to disqualify.
    Last edited by Israel; 11-13-2005 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    ~~~
    Take it for what it's worth. I just found this thread and personally I think the way it has morphed, it now belong in the non-A.T. bin, or the dust bin.
    This bears repeating.
    Roland

Dont read a book by its cover. Sure all you see is the rosy facade put on by the cultists! You catch more flys with honey! Im reposting this link so those who think they are such a nice group to get a peek at the seemy underside of the beast. http://www.twelvetribes-ex.org/ A couple days at there "indoctrination station" is a whole CRY different the living there and surrendering all critical thinking and individualism, and becoming a brain washed droid of someone elses interpretation of a invalid holy book to begin with!

David,

As Israel already said, “a hiker staying one night will not really have any idea what you are all about”. What you believe can be fine and dandy; but there a matter of practicing what you preach. Sainten believe in Jesus too, but he would never follow him.

The Twelve Tribes DOES NOT follows their own beliefs and I’ve seen that first hand. They twist the words of the bible to meet their own believes and need.

Journal Entries
    Images

Enough of this. If you want to carry this on then please take it to the Non-AT forums before we close the thread.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Don King and I stayed at the 12 tribes hostel on our 05 sobo thru hike. I have to say that it was one of the most interesting and unique hostel experiences of our entire trip. They people there were incredibly nice and made no mention of their religious affiliation. I would recommend this place to any and all thru hikers passing through Rutland. The bunkrooms are gorgeous, constructed out of old wood from a country barn. Don King and I even shaved some money off the price of our stay by staining some wood.

12 tribes hostel pic
    http://www.maine2georgia.com/Vermont/slides/286.JPG

Ponytails, beards, quiet kids who work, women who do all house chores AND a hostel on the AT? Heck, you guys convinced me! Where do I sign up!?
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

Default Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Take it for what it's worth. I just found this thread and personally I think the way it has morphed, it now belong in the non-A.T. bin, or the dust bin.
    I dunno...we all enjoy beating a dead horse every now and then...obviously. 's not botherin me any.

Default Some regrets...

These people deserve a lot of credit for their willingness to give all for their cause and tolerating the many hikers who have cost them time and resources. In response to all the negative feedback to their history and system, words like "cult", etc are thrown out--what about the cult of materialism, selfishness, self-absorption, callousness or other religions which have a less than happy history...I'll have to 'fess up to having started the thread as "ubermensch". I forgot what my password was and if you look at the thrust of the post, it should be evident that although it raised an important issue, it was not without guile. For that I apologize.

For those of you who have Lion King's Walking with Freedom DVD, there is a short clip of a 12 Tribes member in it talking a little about their group. No details just an overall philosophy of love God etc...
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by littlebigman
    I'll have to 'fess up to having started the thread as "ubermensch". I forgot what my password was and....
    Hmmm... You forgot your password, which is retrievable, and not only changed your screen name but your proper name and the town you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    Don King and I stayed at the 12 tribes hostel on our 05 sobo thru hike. I have to say that it was one of the most interesting and unique hostel experiences of our entire trip. They people there were incredibly nice and made no mention of their religious affiliation. I would recommend this place to any and all thru hikers passing through Rutland. The bunkrooms are gorgeous, constructed out of old wood from a country barn. Don King and I even shaved some money off the price of our stay by staining some wood.

12 tribes hostel pic
    http://www.maine2georgia.com/Vermont/slides/286.JPG

I thought this hostel was free? With all the B/S aside, how about some first hand reports about this hostel's services/prices reviews as we do with any other hostel.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

I found them to be very pleasant people.
    I went to one of their services and hung with them in thier "compound", and as some of you know, a couple of them are in WWF.

Its like this, if you dont like it or agree with it, dont go, dont support it and go do your thing,.
    Or go Find out for yourself, go with an open mind, it was a little different, it was 'stranger' in my eyes at first because I was raised a backwards closeminded Southern Methodist, and I am glad I not only have traveled the AT world, but America in general and have been able to experiance different people and places.

People do differetn things for different reasons. They didnt charge me for the hostel stay and welcomed me for as long as I wanted to stay, they have come out to numerous AT gatehrings and fed and provided non alcoholic drinks to hikers and even at those times you have people who are eating and drinking their gifts saying "Man, cults, what a bunch of freaks! I wonder if they have anymore chili?"

HYOH, in every way...the world would be a better place if we did.

They're wrestlers?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++