WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i tried to make a light-hearted joke about religion yesterday and Tarlin took offense and had it deleted. y'all should back off
    Wouldn't be fair to back off. Nobody's made fun of Buddhists yet.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Wouldn't be fair to back off. Nobody's made fun of Buddhists yet.
    jack whined and in a matter of minutes it was gone

Journal Entries

i tried to make a light-hearted joke about religion yesterday and Tarlin took offense and had it deleted. y'all should back off
    I understand. Truth is becoming the rarest of permitted speech.

Images

yea, well with over 23,000 posts I'm surprised you missed it so much.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I understand. Truth is becoming the rarest of permitted speech.
    and what i said was most truthy

It would probably be best at this time to return to the thread topic.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
    Some thru-hikers were raving about the new free hostel in Rutland. The keepers were warm and friendly, the food is great, etc.Smoothies, soups, home-made bread. It's good that this religious group has seen fit to provide hospitality to hikers, but a basic internet search turned up some controversial information about their worldwide fellowship and "apostle".
    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It would probably be best at this time to return to the thread topic.

Thanks.
    well this would be on topic
    http://www.twelvetribes.com/controve...aid-video.html

and what i said was most truthy

Happy 24,000 post LW

Whining and mocking are two very different things. Mock all you want, but I believe this website's motto is "No Sniveling"....

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    but I believe this website's motto is "No Sniveling"....
    no. that's hikinghq.net

no. that's hikinghq.net
    Well, it's still a good rule. And I first heard it here...

Funny thing is...I was in the Hanover library right next to ol' Mr. Apoplexy when he was deleted. I laughed and laughed....

Okay, it's just my opinion, but why would anyone want to stay at the twelve tribes hostel when you can take "the bus" to the Inn at Long Trail and have a great room, meal and hang out with other hikers and at a low price?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I know Appalachian Tater thinks this is a cute comment. If we lived in a rational society, Taters comment would be too absurd to warrant a serious answer. But increasingly we do not. Even things as absurd as Appalachian Tater's claim are increasingly believed by too many Americans.
    Weary, I still think it is too absurd to warrant a serious answer. Anyone who thinks the MATC is a cult is beyond reasoning with. However, it did give you a chance to make a pitch for the MATC so it was a good thing that I made the comment.

BTW, it certainly is true that if you don't fork over money every year that they will cast you out. I noticed that you didn't try to refute that!

They sound like decent people. Hippies. But decent people.

Take it from this old hippie, they may look like hippies, but they ain't hippies.

I stayed there and noticed a few things. Guys are in charge there. Everybody works, but the guys give the orders. Never saw a woman tell a guy what to do. Nobody ever goes anywhere alone.

A young guy I was hiking with stayed a couple of days and was invited to one of their weddings. What he said he witnessed was a guy much older than him marrying a girl younger than him. I asked his opinion of the place. He used the word "cult" in his reply.

I found the Inn at the Long Trail to be more expensive than the motel I stayed at in Rutland, and the beers there much more expensive than at the bars I found in Rutland.

Also in town I found the only Wal Mart I have ever seen in the middle of a small town, with a good Chinese buffet right next door. Cheap and frequent bus service back to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    A young guy I was hiking with stayed a couple of days and was invited to one of their weddings. What he said he witnessed was a guy much older than him marrying a girl younger than him. I asked his opinion of the place. He used the word "cult" in his reply.
    Let me get this straight the "guy" stayed there a couple of days. People do not usually stay places they don't like for a day, let alone a couple. So he liked it. Then they were nice enough to invite him to a wedding. Now when someone I don't approve of invites me to a wedding, I don't go and I believe this is common human behavior. Yet this "guy" goes and then promply insults the people in the wedding. Not exactly the type of "guy" who I would want an opinion from.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    Nobody ever goes anywhere alone.
    Before you wrote this did you think about the words. Nobody (not one single person, ever (you were there that long), and anywhere (you have amazing vision).
    Therefore they all go to the bathroom together, now that's a Cult.

By the way I'm trying hard to come up with something insulting and funny about Buddhists, but I've got nothing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    By the way I'm trying hard to come up with something insulting and funny about Buddhists, but I've got nothing.
    A hiker is on one side of a raging river. There are no bridges. There is no ferry.

He shouts out to the Buddhist on the opposite bank. “How do I get to the other side?” The Buddhist shouts back: “You are on the other side.”
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

First time I met the guy he was barefoot in the 100 wilderness SOBO. His shoes had fallen apart 3 days into his hike and he was completely at ease. Found out he was right out of high school and heading to a prominent university to study ancient languages and he was looking forward reading the classics in ancient greek. Even though he was half my my age I asked his opinions about many things when we ran into each other down the trail. I found very good company, a young man with an active, open, sharp, and curious mind. In a word, this young guy impressed me.

Why did he stay there? I didn't ask him that. No doubt they were very nice and he was curious. But I have no doubt that his opinion was just that - his opinion.

They were very nice to me when I stayed there. I mopped the restaurant from front to back as my work for stay. I mopped until a guy said enough. That it was always a guy in charge of any decision making process it seemed.

They had a booth at the county(?) fair when I was there. A bunch of us had a really good time, walked around for hours eating and taking it all in. Over the course of the evening, I noticed that there was never only one person in the booth, and I didn't see any 12 tribes people walking around the fair, or around town, alone. Maybe they did, and I didn't notice, but they have a rather unique look, the guys with beards, and I think they make a lot of their own clothes.

I hiked through Rutland in 02, 04, and 07. Stayed at 12 tribes once. Spent a few days there. My opinions of 12 tribes are based on my experiences in Rutland and on the input of others I hiked with whose opinions I value who also stayed there.

I invite others to also stay there, and form their own opinions.

I will be at a moderately priced motel in town next time I stay in Rutland.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++