WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

twelve tribes is just one of a million cults feeding the idiosyncracys of their founders odd personalitys and lifestyles while focusing on presenting a "clean upstanding just a little different image". it only works to ruin your otherwise free life if you allow it. dont buy into other peoples scams when you are hearing from so many they are what we say they are. please.
    matthewski

when tater told me about his 26 years in the cult, i felt for him. thank god hes out and free.lol.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Yeah, its called being a kid.
    Which is a pretty recent invention. None of my grandparents made it past the 9th grade because they all had to drop out of school to help support their families. My grandfather was crawling around in coal mines at age fourteen. This was in the 1920's and 1930's.

I stayed at theYellow Deli Hostel in Rutland over 4th of July 2011. Yea, it's some kind of areligious order. I won't go as far as to say a cult. My advice if you staythere, and you have some cash, tosses a few bucks into the offering plate. As forthe "Twelve Tribes" members in general, remember this. If you don't want to talk aboutreligion, don't open the door because they will surly walk through. Happytrails! Swagman

Concur with Swagman, I too stayed at the Yellow Deli Hostel in2011. Best advice is to not mentionreligion if you don’t want to talk about religion. They seem very cordial and I wanted to keepit that way. Have to plug the fact thatthe regional bus terminal is right behind the hostel so if you’re coming downfrom Killington or going back to Killington, it is very covenant. Also if you decide to use Rutland as a bailout point, Amtrak has daily service to New York City. Happy trails!

Images

I ate at the cafe. Really good food. Seemed a bit odd folks though but no weirder than that cult at the Friary in NY.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

haha I stayed here, no recruiting but it was extremely interesting to see a real commune cult

Journal Entries

The biggest downer, and a affront to a almighty being that gave the order be fruitful and multiply, is their seperation of sexes, in dorms and work for stay chores, but it was only one night.

Images

I did not read this thread, but Twelve Tribes is always at Phish shows trying to get us on their bus. I stay far, far away from them.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

i stay far, far away from phish folks

Is Gene Spriggs still w/them? I knew them in Chattanooga where they started. A judge told them in court decree to get out of town. They refused until faced w/jail time. they headed to Vermont. Many many good people in the group but the truth holds no value whatsoever for them. Watch yourself!

Glad I skipped it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Curious to see if that moderation rant will be allowed to stand.

I really don't see what the thread additions in 2013 were that out of line.

Again, I'm glad I skipped it.

Lot of difference between staying at a cult like 12 tribes and a church run hostel like The Place or The Church of the Mountain.

AGAIN, I ask with Chin Music's and Max Patch's comments, have either one of you personally stayed at the Twelve Tribes in Rutland? If you haven't, you might want to mention that in your opinions of staying at Twelve Tribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Lucke View Post
    haha I stayed here, no recruiting but it was extremely interesting to see a real commune cult
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The biggest downer, and a affront to a almighty being that gave the order be fruitful and multiply, is their seperation of sexes, in dorms and work for stay chores, but it was only one night.
    It is good to know that people who stay there are treated well and that you are really only required to follow the rules and structure they set before you. Also, it is good to know that you did not face any coercion or undo pressure to stay forever and ever.

Posts like this help to put into perspective that not every bad rumor is true and that even though this "cult" is a bit extreme they are not out to get hikers. I am sure people have had negative experiences as well but the good news is you can just walk away.

If I make it that far I wouldn't mind seeing how a commune works, but that is just speculation for way off in the future.
    Last edited by Alligator; 04-02-2014 at 00:16. Reason: Quoted post removed

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    AGAIN, I ask with Chin Music's and Max Patch's comments, have either one of you personally stayed at the Twelve Tribes in Rutland? If you haven't, you might want to mention that in your opinions of staying at Twelve Tribes.
    Is there something about,"I'm glad I skipped it " that confuses you?

Images

I have visited with the folks who operate the "Yellow Deli" hostel in Rutland and have spoken to dozens of hikers who spent a night or two there. Most every comment I hear suggests it's a unique experience and that the hikers were treated well.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

while on the trail the only people I ever heard say anything negative about the yelowdeli were people who did not go there. i stayed there 2 nights and although the 12 tribes people are not your typical people they are friendly and pleasant and the accommodations were spectacular compared to many of the other hostels along the trail. They understand hikers often don't have much in the way of money and are willing to allow people to do work-for-stay. when I do the LT I will definitely be staying there again. Oh and the food is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery View Post
    while on the trail the only people I ever heard say anything negative about the yelowdeli were people who did not go there. i stayed there 2 nights and although the 12 tribes people are not your typical people they are friendly and pleasant and the accommodations were spectacular compared to many of the other hostels along the trail. They understand hikers often don't have much in the way of money and are willing to allow people to do work-for-stay. when I do the LT I will definitely be staying there again. Oh and the food is great.
    The devil can be friendly too until he gets his way. They may be friendly up to a point until they stab you in the back. I lost a really good friend of 12 years because their belief did not believe a man and woman should be close friends unless they were married. They end up telling her to stay away from me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the place.

Wolf

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++